Featured Ruger Security 9

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by RFF, Dec 22, 2017.

1. John Swenson

John Swenson Member

I haven't shot the Sec9 too much lately, because of the heat here in Texas. 112 yesterday and 114 the day before. But the old Sec9 has gone over 2,500 rounds without a malfunction of any kind, with brass or aluminum cases. Have had a few failures to eject with some steel case. I have been shooting for over 50 years and this is the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. Well, maybe my dad's old Colt Woodsman never malfunctioned, but I never tried to put aluminum or steel case ammo thru it.

Cornhusker likes this.
  2. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

John that makes my 95-104 heat here seem like nothing .

3. Dozerindy

Dozerindy New Member

I've only seen the slide fly forward when someone is being to enthusiastic and slamming mags into the gun like they are mad at it. Try calling down a bit? Literally nobody else on the planet has complaints about this pistol, it's you and two other guys in the whole world. so.... Might be a user issue. Mags don t need much force to seat in this firearm. No need for bad assery.

4. 3Dw

3Dw New Member

Had my Sec9 for a few months, about 1000 rounds through it so far. Excellent feel in the hand and love the trigger.
    Got the Bianchi model 75 Venom holster, says it's for S&W M&P 9mm/40, but it's like it was made for the Sec9. Nothing but positive results so far.

Attached Files:

rugertoter likes this.
  5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Looks like the Security 9 is going the have to go back to Ruger. It's stringing vertically. I thought it was me, but it's doing it with other shooters and benched. Comparison between the Security 9 and the RAP compact
    20180804_183419.jpg
    20180804_161401.jpg

6. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

I’m up in Phoenix and have found them for the same price. 299.00

7. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Well, the barrels are thinner, do you suppose that could causing the stinging as the gun heats up?

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

My first thought was I was to blame. The pistol balances nicely with a full magazine, but becomes nose heavy as the mag empties. I thought I might be changing my grip to compensate.

Maybe barrel springing, but I'm not so sure that's it either as the barrel seems tight.

Here are some pictures from longer range. It really shows up here. Security 9
    20180804_183509.jpg

vs American Compact
    20180804_161121.jpg
    And a zombie target a bit closer.
    Security 9
    20180804_160814.jpg
    American Compact
    20180804_161331.jpg

9. 0311

0311 Member

Did you try some differn't ammo? A different brand or weight might shoot better in your S9. Could try that first. Do you know anyone with a Ransom rest? That would be the best way to see if it's you or the gun!

10. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

It's shot mostly my reloads, but I did put 100 Remington 115 grain through it. I did bench it, used a Hyscore rest.

The groups posted were all shot off hand though.

0311 likes this.
  11. John Swenson

John Swenson Member

Another amazing feature of the Sec9. Yesterday I was shooting the Sec9 with bright sun light behind me; as I started to get a sight picture, my eye drifted down to the notch in the slide and frame - I could clearly see the back of the cartridge in the top of the magazine. Very clever design feature!

12. John Swenson

John Swenson Member

Hit 5,000 rounds with the Sec9 this week. Only about 3 failures to eject with steel cases during my first 1,000 rounds, and no failure of any kind since then - even with steel case. This is by far the most reliable semi I have ever owned. Wish my RAPC 9mm was near as reliable. Heard Ruger may be working on a new striker spring for the RAP 9mm. Galloway has discontinued their heavy striker spring.

13. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I don’t know how many rounds through my Security 9. I quit counting long ago. But it’s loosened up quite well. Used to be I could not get the slide to go home when I slammed in a magazine, which was a common complaint, but the slide goes home fairly easily now. I still do not recall any malfunctions. It has not gone back to Ruger and still spreads shots vertically. I like to carry it and I am not shooting squirrels at 25 yards. It’s shooting good enough that I don’t think it will fail me at social ranges should the unthinkable happen.

I still would choose the Ruger American Pistol over the Security 9 if I was forced to choose just one. It’s just a much better built pistol. And it’s more accurate. I am a bit concerned about the Ruger American safety notice as mine has to be near the 10,000 round mark, but mine is outside of the serial number prefix and is showing no abnormal wear. Matter of fact the Security 9 is showing more wear, but it still functions fine.

14. John Swenson

John Swenson Member

Greg_r, I was gung-ho on my RAPC 9mm until one day at about the 2,500 round mark the striker spring failed one day on the ranch when I jumped out of my truck to shoot a coyote. The spring was weakened and binding in the striker. Ruger sent me a new striker, but can not get that failure out of my mind; so now when want reliability, it is the Sec9.

trichey56 likes this.
  15. quirky

quirky Active Member

So was I when I posted this thread. https://www.rugertalk.com/threads/holy-crap.7494/

Not anymore with all the reports out now saying there are major problems with them and now it makes me wonder if that was why Ruger dropped out of the military trials. Could be they knew they had issues but had to much money invested so they dump a turd into the civilian market and the claim about testing it to x amount of rounds was all bullshit.

These gun manufacturers are using the public as beta testers trying to reduce cost.
    All of them who introduced new guns based off submission to the military trials have had issues, from Glock to Sig to Ruger etc.

rugertoter likes this.
  16. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I ave only had 2 malfunctions that I can remember with my American Compact Pistol. Neither I will blame on the pistol itself. One was with reman ammunition. Range I visited would not let me shoot my own reloads, so I bought a box of the range ammo. Never even fired a shot. When I racked in the first round the pistol would not go into battery, when I tried to clear it, the bullet was stuck in the lands of the barrel. Junk ammo.

The second time was the pistol failed to lock open on a empty magazine. Only on one magazine mind you. The rest worked fine. Ruger replaced the faulty magazine and I have been 100% since. Magazine issue.

I have 100% confidence in my RAPc. 100% confidence in my Security 9 too for that matter.

17. John Swenson

John Swenson Member

greg_r, that striker spring is the only thing that keeps my RAPC from being perfect for me too. I love how heavy duty everything is, except that spring. I have thought of putting a Dodge Hemi valve spring in it, but I am waiting to see if Ruger or after market firm offers a super spring. I love everything else about the gun. Have you done anything special to keep that striker working? I am still shooting the American, to see if the spring ever fails again. If I could cure the problem by replacing the spring every 5000 rounds, that would be fine. They are cheap and easy to change. I just need to know for sure how to keep it running.

trichey56 likes this.
  18. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Nothing but normal maintenance. The recoil springs on both the American Compact and the Security 9 have been changed out. That is all.

19. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Yeah, I think they do that with "some" of their products, but there is that going on with a ton of different products anymore, not just gun products.

quirky likes this.