Featured Ruger Security 9

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by RFF, Dec 22, 2017.

1. RFF

RFF Member

Model: 3810

Caliber: 9mm Luger

Capacity: 15+1

Barrel Length: 4"

Overall Length: 7.24"

MSRP: $379.00

2. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Seriously, I was headed to the LCS today to buy a RAP 9mm, but now Ruger has me confused. The RS9 looks like everything I want in an all round 9mm. The only thing I am going to research is the durability of the aluminum rail. I have an LCP with that chassis, but I doubt I have put over 100 rounds thru it in several years. Light weight 1911s have aluminum frames - never heard of one of those wearing out.

RFF likes this.

3. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Received a new S9 today. Not going say much about it until 2000 rounds, but just dry firing I love the trigger and there is no striker to worry about. The barrel is not stainless and the frame rail is aluminum; so it looks like it will require more maintenance than the RAP. It came with a thin film of grease on the frame rails. I had already planned to keep good lube on those aluminum rails.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    RFF likes this.
  4. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

More observations on the S[ec]9.

The S9 has a longer barrel than my RAPC, but has a shorter sight radius. The S9's rear sight slopes forward, making the radius shorter. Never noticed this on another pistol, but it makes it snag free when drawing. Also, the accessory rail has smooth sides and do not catch on clothing like my RAPC. Have 200 rounds, including steel, aluminum and lswc reloads with no failures.

I hit a man sized steel plate 5 out 6 times resting the pistol against a post with the S9; I have a tougher time at that range with the RAPC. I thought, well I really like the S9 trigger, and I assumed it may have also been because it had a longer sight radius. That is when I discovered it was actually shorter.

RFF likes this.
  5. RFF

RFF Member

Thank you for your hands on report on the S9! Looking forward to anymore you may have.

6. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Can't find any thing else to complain about on my SEC9. It has been cold, so I only have 500 rounds thru it. I bought a good leather holster from the Ruger Store, but not many other options out there yet. Put it in a Blade Tech RAPC holster, but was so loose it would fall out, and rattled. Was wondering if Mr. Ruger might have made this thing so we could use it in a Glock 19 holster and have lots of choices. Tried it in my son's Blade Tech G19 holster, but the SEC9's trigger guard is too big - would not go in at all.

RFF likes this.
  7. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

More S9 observations. The S9 is close kin to the mini-14. Mine throws the brass 15 yards, but it puts them all in a small area so they are easy to pick up.

Next, they need to put sight guards around the sights. The other day mine fell out of my jacket's side pocket onto some gravel when I bent over to pick something up. Did not look too bad so I wiped off, and took it inside for cleaning. Did not notice, but a rock had dented the plastic rear sight near the middle of the sight channel. The rear white outline looked fine, but the channel inside was dented in. I will be shooting 2 inches right until Shop Ruger delivers my new sights. They are $9.99. I might should have ordered a dozen. Also they now have Blade Tech holsters in stock.

RFF likes this.
  8. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Was shooting my RAPC9mm last week and had a miss fire on a White Box round, and then had another yesterday. Both looked like a good hard primer strike but did not fire. My RAPC9 has a stainless rod in the striker and has been flawless with that rod. Went in the house and got the SEC9 - it fired both of the bad rounds. Evidently the SEC9 really whacks the primer. Have not found anything I do not like about my SEC9 yet - about 1000 rounds thru it so far.

9. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Found a great rough duty, outdoors holster for the SEC9. My son had a surplus M-12, Bianchi holster, and my SEC9 fit so well, I had to trade him out of it. Pretty neat design, the flap is removable and it is ambidextrous.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

One of the gun store here in Tucson is selling the Security 9 for $300 even. I expect others will find deals out there as well.

11. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

I bought my second SEC9 last week for $299 at Academy. I spotted it back behind all of the other Ruger pistols on a bottom shelf. The two clerks had never heard of a SEC9. When I asked to see it they started looking in the revolver section. Also some of you Beretta era military guys should have tipped us off about that M-12 holster. I just found the cleaning rod hid in the front seem.

Oldhand likes this.
  12. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Just reached 1,500 rounds thru the S9, without a single malfunction. The last 300 was Federal steel case. I put 200 aluminum case thru earlier. This gun will feed anything, the hammer fires anything and the trigger is great. I want to shoot my RAPC more, but this thing seem to greatly out perform it in my hands.

Oldhand likes this.
  13. Blue F

Blue F New Member

Problems with the Security 9. Oh what a disappointment. And I like it so much. But it's an illusion. It's not a gun to like any more.

The very first time at the range, the trigger froze up, locked up, tight after only 17 rounds of Fiocchi. Sent it in to Ruger and got it back a week later with a new trigger, springs, etc.

Take it to the range the second time and it shoots great. A nice gun to shoot. Problem again. A new problem on a brand new gun. Now it's the slide.

With the slide locked back, load a mag into the well, the slide releases and loads the chamber all on its own. It won't do it every time but any time is bad enough when I'm not in charge of racking the slide and loading the chamber.

Very disappointig phone call with Ruger. They told me "it'll happen with that gun along with the SR and American series pistols. No point in sending it in. There are no repairs for that". Wow! I am blown away and bummed.

I like the gun; grips, recoil, etc. But this is not a safe gun. Now I've got to find a gunsmith to see if he can rectify this horrible problem. I wouldn't recommend buying the Security 9. It'll be prone to accidental discharges I'd wager.

14. greg_r

greg_r Member

Been able to shoot the Security 9 against the Ruger American Pistol compact. There is no comparison. The RAPc is the much better built firearm. As it should be for the increased price tag. But for those extra dollars, you get a stainless barrel, steel sights, nitrided finish, changeable backstrap, nickel-teflon plated magazines,, and a good safety , if you are so inclined. My American is the Pro.

The Security 9 has blued parts, that I have found needs to be kept well oiled as it is prone to rust, plastic sights, and a safety that is hard to manipulate and pivots from the wrong end. But it has a hammer, which in my opinion is a good thing.

But the Security 9 is a very functional pistol. Accuracy is not quite as good as the American Pistol, but it is adequate. I like the trigger. I hate the sights, probably spend the $77 and get a proper set of steel sights from Ruger. I also hate the safety. It's about useless in my opinion. Hard to operate. Wish they made a pro version.

The American Pistol is worth the extra dinero, but the Security 9 is a solid value.

15. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

I have almost 2000 rounds thru my Sec9, without a single malfunction. The reliability of mine has been amazing. I even like the fact that the slide closes when I slam a mag in. I think most of my semis do that when you slam in a mag. The Sec9 dose not look rugged, but I am pretty hard on my guns and this one has been trouble free.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  16. potmetal

potmetal New Member

I've had a Security 9 since early March. It has been reliable, accurate, and trouble free for me so far. I've only shot brass or aluminum ammo in it. I noticed that the owner's manual doesn't mention steel in the ammo section. I figured that wasn't left out by accident. Thankfully, ammo prices and availability are pretty good now. Steel doesn't really save much money anymore.
    I used grease, lightly, on the rails and keep it clean. It's a fun gun to shoot at the range.

17. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

I am nearing 2000 rounds thru my Sec9 without a single malfunction. That is amazing to me. I love my RAPC9, but it stopped firing at 2000 rounds due to the striker spring getting weak. Now I can not make myself trust the RAPC9, and the Sec9 has become my EDC pistol. Hope to regain trust in the American someday, but for now the Sec9 is King. Maybe real guns need hammers. Oh, I just tried the steel case to see if there was anything the Sec9 would balk at.

18. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Just went over 2,000 rounds and ready to proclaim the Sec9 my favorite semi of all time, after the 1911 of course. It is the pistol that I thought the RAPC9 would be. But what good are all of the impressive features of the RAP if the striker spring unexpectedly gives out at 2000 rounds and the gun will not fire? Are you guys sure striker pistols are reliable enough? They must be, as 99% of our police and our military have them. I have only had striker pistols for about a year and a half. My first was a Gen 4 G19, which performed fine for the few hundred rounds I put thru it. When the RAPC9 came out I gave the G19 to my son because it was Un-American, and got a RAPC9. I got a Sec9 as soon as they came out, and evidently it made the RAP mad because the striker spring failed soon thereafter. I try to EDC the RAPC every now and then, but it is not as easy to carry as the Sec9 and the striker reliability issue keeps popping up in my memory. The Sec9 does everything better: easy carry, better trigger and reliable ignition. I know I will probably get a zillion comments about how reliable striker pistols are, but I read somewhere that even Glock recommends that law enforcement personnel replace the striker spring at a certain interval. Now my dream pistol is a "Sec9 Super Pro Model" that has a stainless barrel and chassis.

19. John Swenson

John Swenson New Member

Put another 500 rounds of mixed steel and aluminum thru the S9 yesterday. Not a single glitch. I like using steel and aluminum out in the field where it is impossible to find the cases in the grass and weeds; and cheaper.