Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rust! Been carrying the Security 9 for a while now. No real problems until this morning. I went to holster it and found this.
20190104_060108.jpg

I did wipe it down last night as is my normal when I put it away last night. Guess I missed a spot. I also recently changed holsters, but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Went from a leather belt slide to a Safariland GLS I was given for Christmas.

I am anal about stuff like this and that little spot of rust makes me sick. I have heard of rust issues with the entry level Rugers but I have never experienced it. My brother, however, did have a LCP develop rust. He had spent a day at the fishing pier, salt water fishing. When he upholstered at the end of the day it had rusted.

Dissapointed.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Stuff happens to carry guns.
VERY careful use of some 000 or 0000 steel wool with oil is your friend.
I live in the Houston area. Rust is a way of life with ANY firearm that is not stainless here.
I once rusted a Colt Mustang so badly that you could actually see where metal was missing from the slide where I carried it against my body in deep concealment.
I cleaned and lubed it daily or every two days... it rusted to death anyway.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The same thing happened to my brothers Colt. He sent it back to Colt and they basically said tough s__t. He has never bought a Colt since and would not recommend them to anyone. He took it to a local gunsmith who repaired it and cerakoted it. I understand now Colt coats all the alloy frames on the newer guns.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the cerakote and alumihide. Anyone know ou w which sticks best to plastic? Going to fix this puppy up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Rust! Been carrying the Security 9 for a while now. No real problems until this morning. I went to holster it and found this.
View attachment 12058
I did wipe it down last night as is my normal when I put it away last night. Guess I missed a spot. I also recently changed holsters, but I doubt that had anything to do with it. Went from a leather belt slide to a Safariland GLS I was given for Christmas.

I am anal about stuff like this and that little spot of rust makes me sick. I have heard of rust issues with the entry level Rugers but I have never experienced it. My brother, however, did have a LCP develop rust. He had spent a day at the fishing pier, salt water fishing. When he upholstered at the end of the day it had rusted.

Dissapointed.
The finish Ruger puts on these Security 9's is thin, no doubt. I have a Bersa Thunder 380, that I have had for a few years now, and it has developed some issues on the slide. I am vigorous with keeping it oiled, but the finish Bersa puts on those steel slides is thin at best.

I used to carry it in a leather rig, but switched to a Kydex paddle holster, and I don't carry it in hot/sweaty weather anymore either. The Kydex does not attract moisture, and being a paddle-type, it stays away from the body. At least the slight damage to the slide has not got any worse.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was meaning I carry the Bersa in a Kydex holster now. Although, the Ruger seems to fit, mostly, a Fobus G19 holster well enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts