Ruger, S&W and Sig shootout.

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by cjs1945, Apr 27, 2014.

1. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

Picked up a new S&W 40 cal. M&P compact Thursday, and took it to the range Friday along with SR9c, SR40c and .40 cal. Sig 239. They all shot flawlessly as expected and after 50 rounds each i can't say that any one of them shot more accurate than the others. They are all vary close in size and weight and all quite pleasant to shoot. There was not much difference in recoil, with the SR9c being slightly less, but none of them were unpleasant. I liked the trigger on the Ruger pistols the best, but the M&P was good too, just a little longer pull. Can't say that the M&P is any nicer than the SR pistols, but it is as good although somewhat higher priced, and accessories are higher priced too, i think it will take a long time to find out which one is the most trouble free as they are all built really well.

2. refugee

refugee New Member

dollar for dollar it is impossible to beat my SR series weapons. the competitors sit in the safe, the SR's get carried and shot. shot my SR40 and SR45 yesterday, carried the SR40c on my side, next time out the SR9 and 9c will likely get their turn. the M&P is in the safe next to the Kimbers and XD's. when it is revolver time my favorite is a 4 inch Redhawk in .44 mag, the model 29 sits in the safe. personal preference? yes. all of them are great weapons, I just prefer the ones that give me the most bang for the buck.

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I agree with refugee.......the SR series of guns are hard to beat......I have yet to buy any Ruger guns and be disappointed....

4. Rugergirl

Rugergirl New Member

I have the SR9c and the SR22 and couldn't be happier with them. I looked at the S&W in the 9 but it just didn't fit my hand as well.

5. bls

bls New Member

Love my SR9. What configuration did you get your M&P in?

6. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

bls, I got the M&P compact with a manual safety and without a magazine safety. It has the standard sights and two 10 round magazines, one withe the finger rest base and the other with the flat base, it also has 3 removable grip panels so you can choose the one that fits your hand the best. I ordered another finger rest base plate and a sleeve for use with the 15 round magazine on ebay and 2 15 round mags on Gunbroker. So far i really like the M&P, but i don't think it will ever replace my SR40c for CC. The 40c and 9c are perfect size and feel for me and they are totally reliable. For open carry the SR40 or SR9 are my first choice, but the SR45 and the new M&P will most likely get their turn from time to time. For quality, price and reliability the Ruger pistols are hard to beat.

7. bls

bls New Member

cjs, thanks for the comprehensive reply. Sounds like you've got a winner, I fired a buddy's M&P compact 9 at the range the other day and it was a great shooter. I carry my full size SR9 concealed and open depending on the season and where I'm going, no money yet for a smaller gun (damn student budget) but with the right clothes and holster even the full size pistol hides pretty well. I think an LC9 might be in my future when summer money comes in for those days when I absolutely can't carry the SR9, but till then I'm pretty happy with 18 rounds of 9mm hollowpoint by my side. Would love to see some pics of your new firearm if you've got any.

8. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

bls, When the weather gets warm enough so my SR40c is too big to CC i switch to the LC9, it is perfect in most all summer conditions, but to LCP is carried when nothing else will work. I carry them all in Mitch Rosen leather holsters and it works really well. Have been carrying the LC9 every since they came out and bought an LC380 for wife. The 380 has not been shot much, but the 9 has performed flawlessly until last Friday without any problems what so ever. On Friday after firing 5 rounds the slide froze up solid about 1/4 inch from being fully open with fired case still held in place by extractor. After removing magazine and fired round i was able to force slide open and a small piece of metal fell out, after which pistol cycled perfect but would not fire a round. When i got home i was able to determine that the end of the firing pin block lever had broke off so it was not able to depress the firing pin blocker. I ordered a new part from Ruger store and hopefully when it arrives i will have the LC9 pack running again as good as new, i ordered 2 extra ones in case it should ever happen again with either pistol, it is a $2.00 part and it failed after 1044 rounds being fired from the pistol. I have never heard of this happening and i will contact Ruger sometime to find out if it is a common thing or an isolated problem.

9. Redleg

Redleg New Member

My SR40c pistols (I own a couple) are perfect for me. Great triggers, have the slide safety that I insist upon, and very reliable. Easy to strip and clean, too.

I shot a friend's M&P9 not long ago. It was OK. He'd had a trigger job done on it and given that his version did not have a slide safety I would not carry that thing cocked in a million years.

I would have bought an LC9 but I stupidly waited until it fell off the California roster. So I have an M&P Shield on order at my LGS.

Sigs are fine but I try to buy American and Ruger and S&W between them always seem to meet my needs.

10. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I talked to Ruger tech. support today in Prescott and they have not seen any other LC9 pistols with a FP blocker lever failure, so i think it was an isolated failure and not likely to happen again. Overall the LC9 is a great little pistol for what it was intended and with a new blocker lever should be back in service and completely dependable.

11. Old_Sparky

Old_Sparky New Member

I have both the SR9c and the S&W M&P 9c. Both fit my hand well, and both shoot well. Which do I prefer? Can't make up my mind, so I keep shooting both.

12. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

Sparky, I have been shooting my SR9c, SR40c and M&P40c together and they are all about equally accurate and completely dependable, but the rugers seem to fit my hand better. I like the extra round and the way the back of the slide is cut to make it easier to rack on the M&P and being able to rack the slide with safety on or off is a nice feature, but the trigger is better on the SR pistols and the price and price of accessories is much better on the Rugers, everything for the S&W seems to be about double the Ruger prices. They are all relly great pistols though.

13. Redleg

Redleg New Member

CJS makes an excellent point. It is notorious that the accessories for S&W semi-autos are often hard to find. By contrast, Ruger almost always has magazines and other accessories in stock and you can order them on their website.

There was a brief time during the recent craziness when Ruger was occasionally out of stock on magazines and for a while they only let you order 5 at a time per type of gun, but excepting that, I have never had any trouble finding magazines for my Ruger SR guns.

The M&P is an excellent gun though, no doubt of that. I agonized for a long time as between the SR series and the M&P series and finally decided to go Ruger. The trigger on the Ruger SR40c is what sealed the deal. And the one on my SR45 is perfection -- I really like the way that gun shoots.

Thank goodness I picked up a couple of SR40cs last year, as these are now no longer available in California and this has become one of my all-time favs. Took two of them to an all-day CCW training course, and shot hundreds of rounds in various drills and the guns never once let me down. There were plenty of Glocks having issues with other shooters (I suspect mainly limp-wristing but I am speculating.)