Ruger Talk Forums banner

Ruger Revolvers and Pistols

6K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  MadTrapper 
#1 ·
Love Rugers and glad to share interest and information with others with the firearms passion. Below is a pic of my Ruger handguns.

Redhawk 44 Mag
Blackhawk 41 Mag
Match Champion 357 Mag
GP100 357 Mag
P345 Two-Tone 45 ACP
P345 Phoenix 45 ACP
SR1911 Commander 45 ACP
1972 Security-Six 357 Mag

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Great looking family of Rugers you got there,

IF... you were to give me one ,:)
I'd take the Redhawk........first....:D or maybe the Commander.

Jim

#9 ·
Hi-Po 350, I had to bore it 30 over and put flat tops in it to be able to run pump gas, had 11:1 compression out of the factory. The Security-Six is one made the 1st year of production, they're really good guns and hung around for quite a while until the beefer GP100 took it's place.

#13 ·
Back around 1975 I had a guy wanted to trade me his 69 roadster like yours only it was canary yellow. He wanted my 60 vette and a 61 vette I could have my hands on plus 4 grand. I told him he was nuts.
I got out of sports cars and into guns. I can have more guns than I could have cars. This Cobra RC was my last hot rod toy before I got into guns.

Attachments

#15 ·
Nice Vette...back when they still looked like Covettes...unlike today's that look some kinda European thing.

Nice collection of Rugers too. I know Rugers pretty good, but what's the difference btw a BlackHawk and a Super Blackhawk? Is it that they only make Super BH's in 44 magnum whereas they only make Blackhawks in 45 Colt?
Or SBH can handle higher pressures?

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Madtrapper, the Super Blackhawk was introduced in 1959 in response to complaints about recoil of the Blackhawk when chambered in .44 Mag. It has a larger and heavier frame, a more subtantial grip with squared off rear trigger guard, a non-fluted cylinder. It typically has a longer barrel and the ejector rod housings and grip frame are made of steel where they were aluminum on the Blackhawks. It has been chambered in 44 Mag, 454 Casull and 480 Ruger. The Blackhawk has been chambered in 30 carbinne, 32 H&R Mag / 32-20 Win, 327 Fed. Mag, 9mm / 357 Mag , 357 Mag, 357 Max, 10mm / 38-40, 41 Mag, 44 Special, 44-40 Win, 45 ACP / 45 Colt and 45 Colt.

#17 ·
Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk or Redhawk.

67stingray,
Did you mean to say Blackhawk instead of Redhawk when describing the above calibers and grip frames?

My memory ain't what it used to be so now I'm confused...

Anyway,
I call my Single Six a Blackhawk but I don't believe the box it came in designates it as such.
(The box is in the next room but I'm too lazy to go dig it out).

Here's a pic.
Super Blackhawk (.44 Magnum)
Blackhawk (.357 Magnum)
Single Six (.22 LR/Mag) ... (Looks like a Blackhawk to me). :dunno:

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies Stingray and Magnum. Non fluted and beefier stainless steel are the big diffs. So the Super BH would handle lot bigger pressures and you could shoot hot Buffalo or Garret loads whereas you couldn't in the Blackhawk I reckon?

This photo confuses me though. Says it's a SBH, but look at the trigger guard:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628184337 Maybe they recently started making the NEW Blackhawks with rounded guards too? I have a BlackHawk in 45 Colt. Same thing as this photo. Maybe people didn't like the squared off guard as much as the rounded.

I think the Super BH weighs around 46 oz, will have to look at what the BH weighs. Wish they'd put the weight in their ads. Well shoot, then I find this: Fluted. They shoulda kept them non fluted. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/626733719

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me. Em boys over at the S forum woulda told me to use the search function. :puker:

Did you hear they had a big cave in over in Bowling Green and the Vette Museum? Several classic Vettes fell down into the cave/hole underneath the museum. Not kidding! Don't know how long ago. Just saw it on some show not long ago.

#23 ·
Thanks Phideaux,
Madtrapper, in the early days of the Super Blackhawk they only offered 7 1/2" and 10 1/2" barrels and a few with 6 1/2". All the long barrel SBHs have the square back guard and the (dragoon style) grip frames, when they started offering the shorter barrels like 4 5/8" and the 5 1/2" they have the same trigger guard and grip frame as the regular Blackhawk, the XR3-RED grip frame.
The sink hole your referring to happened in February 2014 and eight vette were damaged. They have repaired what they could and opened an exhibit.

#24 · (Edited)
#26 ·
Madtrapper, my opinion is that the quality of the Ruger Revolvers either new or old you should be pleased with. There are people out there that swear by one or the other but you run into that on a lot of items. As far as the Garrett load the SBH souldnt have any problem handling it, that being said, it is my understanding that the SRH has a longer cylinder then the SBH, allowing for the heavier bullets to be seated longer outside the case. You might contact Garrett and ask them if that's the reason of excluding the SBH. You are correct that is a good looking revolver, I think you'd be happy with either one, just pick the one you like the most and don't worry about some really hot load. Just remember that the Redhawk handle recoil a little better because it weighs more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.