Ruger Redhawk

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jay72, Oct 25, 2017.

1. jay72

jay72 New Member

I am interested in a Ruger Redhawk either 7.5 or 5.5 inch barrel. What are the differences in the new ones vs a vintage one from the 80's? Is there a more popular barrel length? I located a vintage 5.5 inch for $850 with box.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I like the 5.5 inch barrel for ease of carry. Heavy gun even in 5.5 inch.:D

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Mine has a 4.2" barrel. A vintage Redhawk isn't intrinsically more valuable than a new one. Unlike S&W and Colt, Ruger hasn't changed hands multiple times, slipping a little each time. Collectors can effect the market price of course, but I am ignorant about that hobby.

If you do the introduction thing, we might be able to get into more detail, eh?

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and like VT said providing and introduction would probably get you off to a better rolling start here on RT forum.
    There are many Redhawk owners here that can inform you about old versus new and values. Also barrel lengths would be better answered when intended use of the gun is known. Introduction thread you could tell if you are a hunter, collector, competition shooter, trail hiker or whatever. Intros are appreciated so members know if they have things in common with you to discuss.

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have some knowledge of the New Model Super Blackhawks but not the Redhawks,welcome aboard by the way.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

7. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, one of the main differences between the one from the 80's and today's would be age. The one's produced in the 80's could be anywhere from 28-37 years old :cheesy:

8. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

My Ruger Redhawk is a 4.2" barrel tank,it's also a heavy revolver.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I once owned one of the early Super Redhawks with a 7 1/2" barrel and the long lug along the barrel. That was one of my finest handling and shooting guns. The only modification I made to it was installing Pachmayr grips and I do that to all my handguns. Unfortunately Pachmayr's are no longer available since Mr. Pachmayr passed. I guess the closest to that are now Hogue grips. It could handle hot loads and not bother you although I was much younger then. I was at a heavy equipment convention and one evening someone broke the window out of my Jeep and stole my pistol along with some high dollar binoculars and coveralls. I have not been able to find another long lug Super Redhawk, but sure would like to have one now although I don't think I could handle the recoil anymore. Father time has robbed me of my youth.

Tommy