Ruger Redhawk 7.5 inch 45 Colt

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Oldhand, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

The Redhawk is always talked of and advertised by Ruger as their hunting handgun. Recently I heard that the "Ruger only" loading charts were for the Blackhawk only. I called Ruger to verify and of course they do not indorse reloading. I said fine what about commercial ammo like Buffalo Bore 300 grain hunting loads, "oh no maybe the 250 but no +P or 300 grain." I said your saying the Blackhawk is stronger than the Redhawk then? "Yes".:mad:

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

:D

Well shucks. I didn't think to ask Ruger cs. I had some middle-of-the-load listing cartridges loaded with Sierra 300 gr JSP. Shot a cylinder full through my Redhawk without any discernible effects to the gun. I suppose if I loaded close to listed max I'd want a Super Redhawk...

Maybe Ruger wants you to want a SRH?

Beside the point I guess, but I've shot a couple cylinders-full through my Virginian Dragoon, didn't loosen that gun either.

3. Oldhand

I've shot both Hornady 250XTP and 300XTP but they were in a Bisley Blackhawk Vaquero. Haven't tried them in the Redhawk but was fixen to. Heck with Ruger, still will, just not full max.;) Ain't like I'm going to quit reloading over that phone call.:D

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Buffalo Bore loads their ammunition up to maximum SAAMI specifications...

Buffalo Bore's Owner Tim Sundles goes into a detailed explanation on this ammo ( for example ):

44 Remington Heavy Magnum +P+ 340 Grain Lead Flat Nose Gas Check

ATTENTION: This new load is designed ONLY for certain firearms.

They are as follows:

Ruger Red Hawk
    Ruger Super Red Hawk
    Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero
    Freedom Arms Model 83
    Taurus Raging Bull
    Colt Anaconda
    Dan Wesson Revolvers

Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, Winchester 1894, any rifle with a falling block action and the Handi Rifle.

We get hundreds of emails asking if this load can be fired in S&W revolvers or some firearm other than what is in the above list. The answer is NO. The above list is all inclusive. If some shooters continue to irresponsibly use this product, we may have to discontinue it and that would be unfortunate as it is our best selling 44 mag. load and it gives great performance for those that use it responsibly however, as is always the case, irresponsible use of any product ends up penalizing responsible users.

=============

I think I would call and ask Buffalo Bore if their ammo is safe in your particular gun...not Ruger.

===========

I've shot Buffalo Bore 44 Remington Magnum 270 Grain JFN (Jacketed Flat Nose) in my Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk...with devastating effect on a thawed pot roast (that was freezer burned and going to be trashed anyway)...

Technical Information:

•Caliber: 44 Remington Magnum
    •Bullet Weight: 270 Grains
    •Bullet Style: Jacketed Flat Nose
    •Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:

•Muzzle Velocity: 1450 fps
    •Muzzle Energy: 1260 ft. lbs.

===============

According to the ammo (above example) and provided firearm list above...my RNMSB could handle that +p+ round.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Point to add, that's for the original Vaquero, not the "new" Vaquero.

6. Oldhand

You are correct about the difference in Vaqueros. As for asking a ammo manufacturer instead of the factory, only if the ammo company is going to replace your gun when the factory says you voided the warranty.:confused: