Ruger recalling Mark IV pistols

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by allenr, Jun 7, 2017.

1. allenr

allenr Member

Ruger recalling certain Mark IV pistols. The text below is from the Ruger Website. Apparently the recall affects all Mark IVs made before 6/1/17.
    Spread the word to any Mark IV owners you know.

Ruger recently discovered that all Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ models) manufactured prior to June 1, 2017 have the potential to discharge unintentionally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2017

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It seems nigh impossible for a manufacturer to anticipate the extent of user carelessness. In some cases - not in guns that I know of - the manufacturer ends up making the device nearly unusable when trying to cover all the bases.

Try to envision making it (nearly) impossible for a felling axe to chop the wielder's foot. The tree would be pretty safe too.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link and the recall alert. Mine is one on recall serial number list so it will be going back to Ruger when they send the shipping box. The recall link says only send the grip frame and Ruger will return it after update with a new magazine for my trouble. It also says remove any changes made to the stock frame assy. So I guess if a trigger kit was done then it needs be put back to OEM trigger parts. I hadn't made any changes to mine.
    I am going to send it back because the recall sounds like a fairly dangerous possibility for a negligible discharge. I don't even want that to happen.

Interesting this alert came now because I was recently thinking about shooting it along with my other 22 guns.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  4. buster40c

I got my MK IV back from Ruger recall today. I mailed it back to them on 6-28 and I got it back today with the black S in a painted white circle. This designates the recall safety fix has been performed on the grip. It actually only took about a week to get it back after Ruger received it. Ruger even sent it back by 2 day delivery. Now that's going above what they had to do.

I hadn't noticed any problem with the safety as mentioned before I sent it back and I don't have any problem with it now. I am glad I sent it back for recall just to be on the safe side. On the safe side....get it?

I went outside and from 10 yards I shot two ten round mags free handed and was popping 3" medicine bottles around. I really like this gun.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

Sent my Mk. IV back when they first announced the recall and had it back in a week with an extra magazine, it run flawlessly before i sent it and is just as nice now. Don't think there would have ever been any problems with it, but wanted to be extra safe because some of my grandchildren will be shooting it a lot.

6. buster40c

Like they say better safe than sorry. You can't recall a bullet once it leaves the muzzle.