Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in 1972 I gave my father a Ruger MKI pistol in .22LR for Christmas. Serial number indicates it was made in 1951. It had fixed sights which I replaced with a set of fine Micro adjustables on the rear. Unfortunately, he did not take good care of it, and it picked up a lot of surface rust over the years. To make it worse, he took some steel wool and removed the rust but left behind a lot of scratches. After he died in 2009 I got the gun back. A few weeks ago I sent it back to Ruger for refinishing. They charged $110 and for $55 more they drilled and tapped it for a scope mount. Mount was included in the price.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Awesome, very well worth the $ to have an heirloom restored to such splendor. Congrats!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congrats on money WELL spent,

Knowing the story behind it, makes it that much more a great gun.

Jim

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
What an awesome job......looks great.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice,

I have 4" that was my Dad's, He paid a Whopping $37.50 for it back in 1963, I still have the Original box and receipt. I'll have to take it out and shoot it, I seem to recall it was having a Light Primer strike issue last time I had it out, Maybe I need to send it back to Ruger for an Overhaul.

Thanks
TJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Back in 1972 I gave my father a Ruger MKI pistol in .22LR for Christmas. Serial number indicates it was made in 1951. It had fixed sights which I replaced with a set of fine Micro adjustables on the rear. Unfortunately, he did not take good care of it, and it picked up a lot of surface rust over the years. To make it worse, he took some steel wool and removed the rust but left behind a lot of scratches. After he died in 2009 I got the gun back. A few weeks ago I sent it back to Ruger for refinishing. They charged $110 and for $55 more they drilled and tapped it for a scope mount. Mount was included in the price.

Before:

After:

Ruger does an excellent job

·
Registered
10 Posts
It relly looks amazing again. Would be very hard for $165 to find another that old and has the looks yours has now. Love the heritage and stories that come with a family held firearm.
As they say:
price to refinish: $165.00
packing it and mailing it: $30
Family memories from the past, present and future: PRICELESS.
Thanks for sharing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts