Ruger Ranch in 5.56mm

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by rugertoter, Sep 14, 2018.

1. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I bought this rifle yesterday, so my identical rifle in 7.62x39mm will have a friend. It is the 5.56mm chambered version.
    [​IMG]
    I was so impressed with the accuracy of the 7.62x39mm version, I thought that this one would probably be just a tad better. We will see. When I shoot it, I will post a report.

Cheers.

2. 0311

0311 Member

Nice!

rugertoter likes this.

3. slowthor

slowthor New Member

My 5.56 impressed me too! 5 shot group at 100 yards.
    IMG_3179.jpg

rugertoter likes this.
  4. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Damn, that's nice. What ammo were you shooting? Also, is that the stock rail on your rifle, or did you replace it with another?

5. slowthor

slowthor New Member

It’s an after-market rail. Don’t understand Ruger thought process on using a non-standard rail. Ammo...just plain old Federal 55 grain XM193. Same ammo I run in my AR556.

rugertoter likes this.
  6. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Nice. Did the tapped holes line up with the rail? Also, what brand was it? Reason I'm asking is that I took a scope off of another rifle (that shot well btw, on that rifle), and put it on the Ruger Ranch. I took it to the range last weekend, and I ended up bottoming out the elevation on that scope, just to get my groups to print about two inches high, at fifty yards! Never seen anything like it.

I usually do a 50 yard zero for the 5.56/.223, on my rifles. When doing this, at least between a 55-62 grain bullet, they print about 1.5" high at 100, about 1.75" low at 200, and about 11" low at 300....I just use hold-over/under to adjust. But, I'll be damned if I ran out of elevation adjustment to bring them on center at 50 yards. I just wondered if you maybe had some similar issues with the stock Ruger rail. The one on my Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39mm is fine, but I just don't get this one.

Anyways, that's why I was wondering what brand and if you had any issues mounting the aftermarket rail, to your rifle.

7. slowthor

slowthor New Member

No issues lining up the holes. Unfortunately I don’t have the package, but I just picked it up at the local Bass Pro.
    I know the scope rings are Burris Extreme Tactical. Medium (1/2”) height. Got those from Optics Planet.

rugertoter likes this.
  8. Steve Blalo

Steve Blalo New Member

Very nice! With basic ammo it is amazing.

9. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Muy Bueno compadre!!!!!!Nice riffle. Haven't had a Mini in some time. Never had a ranch rifle. However, I did have 2 guns that had a B-Square scope mount on them. They did not hold their zero well.

10. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Thanks for the information buddy! ;)

11. slowthor

slowthor New Member

I’d really like the updated model that accepts the AR mags, but don’t want to give up the accuracy of this rifle.

trichey56 and rugertoter like this.
  12. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Right!?! That was one of the features that attracted me so strongly to the Ranch in 7.62x39mm. I had sold my last AK about a year ago, it was an M70AB2, but still had a butt-load of that M43 ammo left. The Ranch Rifle, in that caliber, uses Mini 30 magazines...it was a no-brainer for me with that one.