Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a lot of Mag-Na-Port RCA guns over the years and I do love them all . BUT a 4.5 inch barrel with the porting is just plain stupid . I guess I buy the guns because I like them but I will not shoot them much if at all . After shooting only Ruger Super Blackhawks for over 50 years it is the perfect Revolver . I load 240 gr. coated lead with 10.2gr. with Unique and like that a bunch . (Shot 14lb. Unique last year) I also load 240gr, jacketed with Win 296 and like them hot . .
In all this time never thought porting made any since .

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have never even shot a pistol or revolver that was ported, so I would not know how one felt from the other. I guess if the barrel was long enough, and there was some weight on the business end, then muzzle flip would not be too bad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
  • I have seen some threads about porting and Revolvers . I dislike porting on any Revolver but the short barrel guns are the worst . I have three Super Blackhawks with 4.5/8 barrels and ported all porting does is mess the front sight up .

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Porting holds down the muzzle flip. If you try to shoot fast it will force the shots in a downward string. You need to shoot at a slow enough pace to realighn the sights for each shot. S&W had a three inch 44 Magnum that was ported. A real sweet shooter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has little to do with Muzzle Flip and more to do with trying to clean up the front sight so it can be seen .
I really does little for recoil or the second shot . It is loud and dirty .

·
Registered
18 Posts
It has little to do with Muzzle Flip and more to do with trying to clean up the front sight so it can be seen .
I really does little for recoil or the second shot . It is loud and dirty .
I have to respectfully disagree about the muzzle flip and recil.

I had this 44 mag, SBH Magnaported, and it is a TOTALLY diiferent shooter now.
More like shooting a 357 now , way less recoil, and muzzle flip.

Love it.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood Gun accessory

1 - 8 of 8 Posts