RUGER PREDATOR BY MAG-NA-PORT

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by MARYANN, Sep 28, 2018.

1. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I have bought a lot of Mag-Na-Port RCA guns over the years and I do love them all . BUT a 4.5 inch barrel with the porting is just plain stupid . I guess I buy the guns because I like them but I will not shoot them much if at all . After shooting only Ruger Super Blackhawks for over 50 years it is the perfect Revolver . I load 240 gr. coated lead with 10.2gr. with Unique and like that a bunch . (Shot 14lb. Unique last year) I also load 240gr, jacketed with Win 296 and like them hot . .
    In all this time never thought porting made any since .

2. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I have never even shot a pistol or revolver that was ported, so I would not know how one felt from the other. I guess if the barrel was long enough, and there was some weight on the business end, then muzzle flip would not be too bad.

3. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

• I have seen some threads about porting and Revolvers . I dislike porting on any Revolver but the short barrel guns are the worst . I have three Super Blackhawks with 4.5/8 barrels and ported all porting does is mess the front sight up .

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Porting holds down the muzzle flip. If you try to shoot fast it will force the shots in a downward string. You need to shoot at a slow enough pace to realighn the sights for each shot. S&W had a three inch 44 Magnum that was ported. A real sweet shooter.

5. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

It has little to do with Muzzle Flip and more to do with trying to clean up the front sight so it can be seen .
    I really does little for recoil or the second shot . It is loud and dirty .

6. symetry

symetry New Member

I have to respectfully disagree about the muzzle flip and recil.

I had this 44 mag, SBH Magnaported, and it is a TOTALLY diiferent shooter now.
    More like shooting a 357 now , way less recoil, and muzzle flip.

Love it.
    bh 44.JPG

7. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

8. symetry

symetry New Member

Yes , you are correct... it is a roll ...flip is just a term , used incorrectly to describe the event..
    albeit , after the magnaport... I sure feel a big difference in the recoil/push back/roll...
    Much smoother and milder ....to me.