Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ruger Precision Rifle arrived yesterday, and I must say I'm quite impressed. I got it in favorite caliber, .308 Win. Fit and finish are excellent and the bolt works smoothly with no binding. I tried both PMAG's and Lancer L7 mags. They both fit tight with no rattle and fed smoothly. All in all, a great rifle. I always wanted a Tubb 2000, but couldn't justify the cash outlay. This is a similar style for half the price. If I were to change anything, it would be the magazine release. I would prefer a ambidextrous AR style release. This is just a mater of personal preference, and the bottom thumb lever works fine. Another thing worth mentioning is there is enough resistance in the bolt to tell when the magazine is empty. It's not a true "hold open" as you can still close the bolt on an empty mag, but there enough hesitation tho tell the mag is empty. I don't know if this is intended or not, but I do appreciate it. Now if it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be very happy. Details to follow.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congratulations,
Sounds good.

Looking forward to a range report

AND

Some pics

Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Timbo. I'm chomping at the bit to get a RPR myself. Look forward to seeing your range report!

·
Banned
558 Posts
So jealous. Been reading more reviews and all seem pretty good. I'd be torn between the 6.5 and the .308.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a couple and couldn't agree more and wait till you take it to the range, it just keeps getting better. I was leaning toward the 6.5 but being a practical person I chanced it on 308 and don't regret it at all. Yes the creedmoor is a bit better in long range I don't see me needing many kill shots much past 6 or 700 yards. The 6.5 at least in my region is dam difficult to reliably get. Beautiful rifle no matter what

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
price99_99 it is appreciated and you will get a better start on this forum if you go to introduction section and introduce yourself to other members. Your participation is appreciated and welcome to RT.
buster40c

·
Registered
5 Posts
Precision rifle

I have an arm injury that I think is going to permanently hinder my handgun shooting. (Crushed elbow) I have been thinking that it might be wise for me to trade some of my higher caliber pistols for a good long gun. (This is for target shooting, only) I'm thinking the Ruger Precision rifle would be a really good candidate, for me. I don't want to spend a fortune, as this is just for my personal enjoyment. Maybe, some low key, friendly competition at the range. I would, most likely load my own ammunition. My question is this.... I am not very experienced with rifle shooting, all calibers. I have an AR-15, a Savage in 204 Ruger, a Ruger 10/22, and a Browning A-bolt in .270. I've also shot 12 gauge shotguns. Of course, the .22's, .223, and .204 Ruger shoot with little recoil. I find that the .270 is rather punishing. With my arm injury, that wouldn't be too much fun. I imagine a 308 would have about the same recoil energy as a 270. However, fired from the Precision, is the recoil absorbed pretty much by the mechanism? I'm wondering if that would be manageable, for me, on a bench rest.
I saw a nice Percision Rilfe in 308 at a gun show, yesterday. First time by the table, they had a sign on it, saying "Hard to find!" and it was priced at $1,600! Beautiful gun, but not way, at that price. I went by the table an hour later, and it was priced, again at $1,050. I might be able to live with that. But, could I live with a recoil?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My personal preference is the 6.5 in that particular rifle, but in your situation the .308 is most likely more appropriate. The 270 in my opinion has a "snappier " recoil, but both are similar in felt recoil. That said, the way the Precision is built (an inline recoil path)allows it to manage recoil better for accuracy, less "jump" more "oomph", but may increase felt recoil at the shoulder- I don't notice it as being significantly worse, but I'm not injured as you are.

If you like the feel and fit of it, buy it, run some rounds through it; it works for you, keep it, if not sell it- you'll likely get all your money back out of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts