Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish to purchase this rifle for home defense, but need to know what features to look for in order to select best model number. For example, which newer accessorized models are unnecessary. Owners; what recurring problems, if any, have you experienced including those requiring a mail back to Ruger. I own 9mm semi’s & wish to stay with this caliber for availability. Any & all comments will be considered and appreciated. Thanks in advance to all responders!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Unless you live in one of the communist states, I believe it boils down to either the 19122 or 19100. If you lean to the AR style then go with the 19122. You can add a light, lazer or red dot especially for home defense. If you are going to go plunking with it a lot. Then the 19100 is cheaper and comes with iron sights. The 19122 has no sights.
I have the 19100 but it came out before the 19122. I have had zero problems and if you have a 10/22 you will be familiar with its operation already. I do not think you can go wrong with any of them but you always pay a premium for the dealer exclusives and other non essential colors. IMHO. The choice is yours good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Waiting for it to be out with a .45 ACP or 10mm.

Also, I've heard good reports from some of the guys that have one in 9mm. Hardly no recoil and lots of fun. Kids like it a lot. Buy lots of magazines for it. You'll go through a lot of ammo.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you live in one of the communist states, I believe it boils down to either the 19122 or 19100. If you lean to the AR style then go with the 19122. You can add a light, lazer or red dot especially for home defense. If you are going to go plunking with it a lot. Then the 19100 is cheaper and comes with iron sights. The 19122 has no sights.
I have the 19100 but it came out before the 19122. I have had zero problems and if you have a 10/22 you will be familiar with its operation already. I do not think you can go wrong with any of them but you always pay a premium for the dealer exclusives and other non essential colors. IMHO. The choice is yours good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can a red dot be easily mounted on the rear rail of the 91115 model? If so, is Sig Sauer($130) a good red dot name brand or do you prefer another? I would add a front pistol grip on the MLOK...good idea? Great comments from responders!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a sightmark installed on mine. I am sure the Sig would work very well.
, which third party iron sights would you recommend for this set up? Thanks!
Mr. Johnson, I have tentatively decided on the model 19122 which I will use with a red dot. Can I add iron sights to the M-LOK front and use both together? If so, what is the best iron sight choice for this set up and where to purchase? Many thanks!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Since I don’t have that model, I am not sure. Are you wanting the iron sights to co-witness with the Red dot? If so I am sure some of the AR guys can give some suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got mine about a month ago. I bought a Sig red dot. I’ve mounted it to the gun. But yet to set it up on target. Got a sighting tool this week. Going to work on all my guns. I’ll sight the PC 9mm at 30 yards. I’ve shot from 100 and it hit the target with iron sights. But was moving around a lot. So I’m thinking 30 yards for sighting that in. Any further and it will wander some.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wish to purchase this rifle for home defense, but need to know what features to look for in order to select best model number. For example, which newer accessorized models are unnecessary. Owners; what recurring problems, if any, have you experienced including those requiring a mail back to Ruger. I own 9mm semi’s & wish to stay with this caliber for availability. Any & all comments will be considered and appreciated. Thanks in advance to all responders!
I have this PC9 Carbine 9mm Rifle and I have taken Feral Hogs, Coyotes, and Deer with it. It would not be my choice for home defense, for that the Mossberg Shockwave Shotgun loaded with mini shells buckshot would be my first choice. The Ruger PC 9 is accurate on steel out to 200 yards. I have not had a problem with it, I use the Glock stick mags 31 shots without any hang-ups jams, or misfires. I like to carry this rifle and it complements my Springfield Armory XDM 4.5" 9MM Pistol .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all who replied! One more question: Which "silencer" brand/model would be a good choice for my 9mm Ruger PC carbine being used for home defense? I have been looking at The Silencer Co. website but I'm sure I need to consider other websites. I am aware of the ATF tag cost and 9 month wait. Wondering if Biden will screw up the application process. My ONLY reason for wanting a silencer is to reduce the decibel level to protect my bare ears should I need to use it for home intrusion. Many thanks again folks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
There was a story in a Guns & Ammo magazine of a Sheriff in Texas that built a silencer for dispatching pigs in his back yard. It worked well for years until his son showed other kids. Other kids told others and the sheriff ended up on charges for manufacturing home made weapons and was given so many years of probation. On the last week of his probation, a P.O. stopped by just to do a welfare check and discovered his wife's .380. He was arrested for violation of probation and taken to a Federal Prison. Why federal and not state? Don't know.

What ever silencer you acquire make sure it is legal for your state.
If I remember, I think Black Rifle co. or Guns & Coffee something to that effect makes silencers. They had an article on that subject on the Field & Stream magazine.

We can all pretty much agree slimy joe will have his hands in it somehow. There is a reason why he is known as slimy joe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My ONLY reason for wanting a silencer is to reduce the decibel level to protect my bare ears should I need to use it for home intrusion. Many thanks again folks!

Hello Ron, do you expect a long drawn out firefight inside your home ? I ask because the adrenaline will protect your ears and odds are you will not even remember firing if you have to. Several interviews with police over the years out in the field who claim they didn't even realize it all until after several shots were fired. However if you are still concern about it it may be less of a hassle and of course far cheaper to just sleep with ear plugs.

The push was to get silencers deregulated based on hearing loss but no State or the Feds have taken the bait yet. And by 2024 we may be lucky to have rocks and sticks.
Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello Ron, do you expect a long drawn out firefight inside your home ? I ask because the adrenaline will protect your ears and odds are you will not even remember firing if you have to. Several interviews with police over the years out in the field who claim they didn't even realize it all until after several shots were fired. However if you are still concern about it it may be less of a hassle and of course far cheaper to just sleep with ear plugs.

The push was to get silencers deregulated based on hearing loss but no State or the Feds have taken the bait yet. And by 2024 we may be lucky to have rocks and sticks.
Good luck to you on whatever you decide.
Thanks! No firefight, of course. Just thinking about my 76 year old ears which already have minimal loss at high decibel levels. Never thought about the adrenaline protection. Re-thinking getting a silencer now. Appreciate this website!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was a story in a Guns & Ammo magazine of a Sheriff in Texas that built a silencer for dispatching pigs in his back yard. It worked well for years until his son showed other kids. Other kids told others and the sheriff ended up on charges for manufacturing home made weapons and was given so many years of probation. On the last week of his probation, a P.O. stopped by just to do a welfare check and discovered his wife's .380. He was arrested for violation of probation and taken to a Federal Prison. Why federal and not state? Don't know.

If I remember, I think Black Rifle co. or Guns & Coffee something to that effect makes silencers. They had an article on that subject on the Field & Stream magazine.

We can all pretty much agree slimy joe will have his hands in it somehow. There is a reason why he is known as slimy joe.
Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Yep, you are right about "Jerk" and his wife Jill.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Ruger PCC is a heavy rifle for such a small caliber. I own the original PC Carbine from 1997. Ruger built these carbines from 1996-2006. discontinued them, then brought them back as a take down with Glock magazines. Mine takes Ruger P series pistol magazines. They are both good in their own ways. Ihave no need for a take down rifle, so I'm keeping mine. No doubt you can use it for Home defense. Its a good handling&shooting weapon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Ruger PCC is a heavy rifle for such a small caliber. I own the original PC Carbine from 1997. Ruger built these carbines from 1996-2006. discontinued them, then brought them back as a take down with Glock magazines. Mine takes Ruger P series pistol magazines. They are both good in their own ways. Ihave no need for a take down rifle, so I'm keeping mine. No doubt you can use it for Home defense. Its a good handling&shooting weapon. View attachment 13122
Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks! No firefight, of course. Just thinking about my 76 year old ears which already have minimal loss at high decibel levels. Never thought about the adrenaline protection. Re-thinking getting a silencer now. Appreciate this website
Adrenaline does not protect your ears. When the adrenaline starts to push under stress response like fight, flight, or freeze, your brain will filter out things that it does not need for your survival. Not having a ringing in your ears or remembering the sound DOES NOT mean that you didn't damage your hearing. We have two-plus decades of hearing being studied at noise levels in modern warfare. Shooting inside a building can cause damage to your ears quickly.

I am not saying a silencer is the right or wrong answer for you in your home defense plan. You can get some electronic ear pro and keep that with your rifle, or earplugs, or go with the silencer. There are definitely pros and cons to running a can inside.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts