Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got this a month or two ago. It's a blast to shoot, although it really is kinda useless! What I mean by that is it won't do anything a AR won't do better, but like I said, it is a lot of fun, and that's what it's all about, right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
25 Yard Target stock against shoulder 2+ mags.jpg
I am well-pleased with my new Ruger Carbine for a number of reasons.

I am able to use the same ammo for it and my 9mm M&P pistols.

It is very accurate.

So far it appears to be reliable.

Important to me, this Ruger is a home defense rifle I can easily manipulate in my house as well as a decent weapon for outside defensive distance.

Lastly, it is an enjoyable recreational carbine to shoot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got this a month or two ago. It's a blast to shoot, although it really is kinda useless! What I mean by that is it won't do anything a AR won't do better, but like I said, it is a lot of fun, and that's what it's all about, right?
I have a Keltek sub 2000 9mm and it’s great to shoot it’s just hard to get my eye down there because it’s a straight stock not like this Ruger which is on a rifle stock
so it’s easier to get your eye behind the sights I hope to try that one someday

·
Registered
324 Posts
Actually, a carbine like that would probably do just about anything that you would need a carbine for. If you needed to reach out a long ways, then you would need something else, but if you think about an "all round" rifle, up to 100 yards it would get the job done.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Nice little carbines. Gotta go checks one out. I had a couple of Marlin Camp 9 carbines backs in the 90s. Very accurate guns. Got rid of them when they were discontinued.

Tried the Kel Tec Sub 2K. It worked well, but I never could shoot it well with the sights that were on it. And putting a scope on it would have been hard. Would have also kept it from folding in half.

Then I tried severeal of the Hi Point carbines. They were fun guns and easy to mount stuff on when they put the better stock on them. Very accurate, but the capacity was limited. I had several ARs by then, so I kinda lost interest in the Hi Points. They were much cheaper to shoot.

Well, I guess I could try the Ruger. Read some good things on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I broke down and bought two 33 round Glock mags. even though I do not own a Glock pistol, mine are for use in pcc competition, I also moved the charging handle to the left side.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Ruger comes with two magazine adapters, one uses SR9 magazines and the other uses Glock magazines. I understand that you can also buy an adapter for the Ruger American. An all around great little carbine that is very accurate. It is more capable than me at shooting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How hard is to field strip and clean? I have read some say it's hard to take the bolt out to clean and you need a torque wrench to reassemble or the point of impact will change.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There is a Ruger tip video on YouTube about disassemble and another on reassemble. It is fairly simple and you should have no problem. Am not sure about the torque wrench requirement but to me it would be more for insure snug securement without over torquing the screws. The iron sights are mounted on the take down barrel and the rail is mounted to the receiver. I use a red dot on mine and have noticed no problems with point of impact. When you assemble the take down everything should line up the stock and fore end are just screwed on and should not affect the accuracy.
It is after all is said and done a 9 mm pistol caliber, I only have mine sighted for 50 yards. It is much more accurate that my old arms can give it justice. But it is a hoot to shoot. Go for it you can not beat the price and quality.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There is a Ruger tip video on YouTube about disassemble and another on reassemble. It is fairly simple and you should have no problem. I am not sure about the torque wrench requirement but to me it would be more for insuring snug securement without over torquing the screws. The iron sights are mounted on the take down barrel and the rail is mounted to the receiver. I use a red dot on mine and have noticed no problems with point of impact after cleaning. When you assemble the take down everything should line up the stock and fore end are just screwed on and should not affect the accuracy.
It is after all is said and done a 9 mm pistol caliber, I only have mine sighted for 50 yards. It is much more accurate that my old arms can give it justice. But it is a hoot to shoot. Go for it you can not beat the price and quality.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts