Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While speaking with customer service at Ruger I was told they no longer service the old M77 tang safety models.

I was interested in having the barrel replaced on my old M77R in 25-06.
The barrel has to be about "shot out" as it's seen 34 years of range plinking and has become very picky about ammo.

The CS rep said they could give a discount on a current model that amounts to a "big chunk" of money if I sent my rifle in for replacement.

Of course she could not tell me over the phone how big of a discount as they would need to determine the condition of my rifle.

The rifle looks near new, no rust inside or out.

The question is, has anyone taken advantage of this offer? If so, what was the discount in relation to the condition of the rifle replaced?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Maybe you could do some research to find out what the alternatives are $-wise. I'm pretty sure I don't need to describe them to you, you are more of a shooter than I am. I do like that rifle, and haven't figured out what the various Mark IIs are really about, except that my 77/357 isn't really a 77 II; so why am I posting anyway?

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you could do some research to find out what the alternatives are $-wise. I'm pretty sure I don't need to describe them to you, you are more of a shooter than I am. I do like that rifle, and haven't figured out what the various Mark IIs are really about, except that my 77/357 isn't really a 77 II; so why am I posting anyway?
Yes I do like the rifle and the 25-06 caliber. Problem with the exchange idea is Ruger doesn't offer anything in 25-06 these days.

The 7mm-08 or even a .243 may be OK. The 243 should shoot about as flat as the mighty 25 but probably a little light for hog hunting.

I've just started researching barrel replacement, so far looks like I could buy a new rifle for about the same money. But I've just started.

So why am I posting anyway? LOL :cheesy:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
The 7mm-08 is supposed to be a 'ballistic twin" of the 7x57 Mauser, of which one of the 77s I gave to relatives is (great sentence structure there, eh?). A sweetheart of a cartridge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts