Ruger New Model Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by Ernesto, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

So what holster should I get for my new to me 357? I was thinking a western style that holds ammo on the belt so I can wear it round the house. :)

Is there a website that sells them?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I got mine on Ebay for around $60. Has the ammo belt, holster and leather tie straps for leg and hammer. The western holsters can get very expensive. Even though mine was inexpensive it is built as good as many more expensive holsters. I even got mine for left handed. It holds my GP M/C or my Colt.
    It was originally tan but I didn't like it so I dyed it dark brown.

Attached Files:

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

You have broken my heart!!! I want another Ruger Blackhawk so bad that I can taste it and smell the cordite and powder now. Get a western holster, cowboy hat, big dinner plate belt buckle and a good set of spurs. You might also think of some new tennis shoes to wear. You don't want to me mistaken for a over the road truck driver!:cheesy:

Tommy

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Sportsman's Guide sells some for much less than I see at gun shows.
    The price is so low I'm a little bit afraid of it. Guess a guy could send it back if it's too cheaply made.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com

If you try one let us know what you think of it.
    I have a Blackhawk like yours and would like to upgrade my rig for my Bar-B-Q gun when we get open carry.
    But read the comments, looks like sizing might be a little wacky?

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey Tommy, I have everything but spurs, don't need em. I ride iron horses. I'm all hat and no cow.
    I've found you gotta use a smaller belt buckle though, the big ones get in the way of the gun belt. :rotate:

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

With my belly, a big buckle on britches that ride down (and they will) is apt to be quite painful.

7. buster40c

I have all but the spurs and the big belt buckle and the heck with them. Have an itch on your ankle those spurs are bad to take care of an itch. I don't need a buckle aka blade shoving into my overhang shed for my barrel cleaner tool. VT knows about that.
    Tommy I have broken a few gals hearts but you are the first guy. Believe me it will not be on my dating site resume.

8. Ernesto

Buster, exactly what I'm looking for too! Gotta get one that sort of matches my boots. :) A good holster and belt should be made of saddle grade leather.

Yeah so getting it fit might be an ordeal, if it's closed on the bottom it should be the correct depth for the barrel, mines a 6 1/2 in. I was reading some reviews on some and heard some loops don't fit the specified ammo. straps are poorly sewn on etc. I want one with the drop down belt and fancy tooling like this one. And should be preformed for the right model revolver.

http://www.oldtradingpost.com/old-w...tional=images/large/Products/D2800_01_LRG.jpg

9. Ernesto

@ MagnumBlackhawk, yeah the price is right on those but the reviews are iffy. FWIW the wifes uncle gifted that Blackhawk to me last week with the other one thats partially shown. :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

;)
    If you decide you want a 'working man's' belt&holster (no tooling unless you count the stitching that holds it together), I will send you the one I bought during my time in Colorado. "like new" condition, fits my Blackhawk 6.5. Not quite in character for Vermont carry, especially for a geezer - folks check to see if there are men in white coats coming up on me. I'm not a horseman, dunno about saddle leather. It looks and smells more like machinery drive belt leather to me, except thinner and more flexible.

USPS Priority Mail, I think it will fit in the $12.35 size. So that's what it will cost you.

[I tried selling cars once, it didn't work out; probably my sales pitch.]

11. buster40c

^^^^^^

Now there is a deal for you Ernesto.
    Yep that link has a good looking BBQ holster for sure. I bet it has a pretty big price tag on it.
    My holster has an open bottom so longer barrels would fit. The leather is heavy thick and stitching is good. My ammo straps are tight but they need to be to make sure the ammo doesn't fall out easily. My belt & holster is set up for 357.
    The site Mag showed has some nice looking rigs and price isn't bad either.
    Being I am left handed it is harder for me to find holsters.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Oops, nevermind. Just before I posted that offer I had brought the rig over to my neighbor's yard sale, told her to take $20. It sold in an hour or so. I'll be dadburned.

Well, next time I end up with a holster I have no use for (strange how that happens), I'll offer that to Ernesto.

13. Ernesto

show me a picture, price sounds terrific! Thanks

14. Ernesto

Aww shucks!!

15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

I am crushed!!!!! Got tears in my eyes as big as horse turds. I really thought we had something going. And NOW, you are throwing me under the bus. On second thought being under the bus ain't too bad an idea. I can get Hillary in front of the front and rear wheels and I won't get hurt. Guess you are doing me a favor buddy!!!:cheesy:

Tommy

16. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,

Maybe you ought to check with Buster and his sales pitch. He has women and everything lined up at his house. Surely he can find a sales person for your holster. Sure won't hurt to ask him - I can't cuz he threw me under the bus and I can't hear cuz the exhaust is too loud. :dizzy:

Tommy

17. Ernesto

18. buster40c

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep prices to high for something I seldom would wear. My $60 holster looks and functions good for me. Almost 5 times the price but I don't see the value/quality difference.
    Like I said cowboy holsters can get expensive.

19. Ernesto

Yep, I won't be buying one of those anytime soon. However - I am in the old west and pretty close to Tombstone. :D

I also have to say I've been handling my six shooter and when that trigger is pulled back the balance is amazing.

20. guzzinut

guzzinut New Member

great holsters

the majority of my gun leather (including for my Blackhawks) is from El Paso Saddlery http://www.epsaddlery.com/
    good stuff and great variety