Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader, first time poster. I bought a new MKIII Competition a few months ago and I'm having problems with the trigger resetting. I've put about 1200 rounds through it and the problem began after around 500 rounds. It'll shoot fine for a couple of mags and then the trigger won't reset. At first I can wiggle the trigger and it'll reset the trigger and fire again. Then after a few more rounds it starts doing it after every other shot and the only way to reset the trigger is to rack the slide. I put the Tandenkross mag disconnect piece in and I thought that fixed the problem but after a few mags it still does the same thing and probably even worse. I'm gonna take the Tandenkross part out and send it back to Ruger but just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,026 Posts
Long time reader, first time poster. I bought a new MKIII Competition a few months ago and I'm having problems with the trigger resetting. I've put about 1200 rounds through it and the problem began after around 500 rounds. It'll shoot fine for a couple of mags and then the trigger won't reset. At first I can wiggle the trigger and it'll reset the trigger and fire again. Then after a few more rounds it starts doing it after every other shot and the only way to reset the trigger is to rack the slide. I put the Tandenkross mag disconnect piece in and I thought that fixed the problem but after a few mags it still does the same thing and probably even worse. I'm gonna take the Tandenkross part out and send it back to Ruger but just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum !

If you get a minute, please stop by our "introductions" and receive a proper welcoming

·
Registered
285 Posts
CDOG, that is not normal for a Mark pistol. I would call Ruger. In the event that you have to send it in, they will have it back to you within about a week (sometimes sooner; they are FAST) and the gun will be cherry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did your pistol run before you added that bushing? I have heard of issues when that bushing has been installed, so just wondering.
It was doing it before I put the bushing in so I thought maybe the bushing might fix it but it didn't. I took it to a gunsmith to remove the bushing so I could send it back to Ruger and he told me he found the pin next to the safety was in a little crooked and the pieces it holds were binding a little. He said maybe After firing a few mags the parts may get a little warm and cause them to bind even more. I haven't shot it again yet so I don't know for sure yet. If not then i've already got a shipping label from ruger to send it back. I'll update when i get it fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, that would be the hammer pin. I f that pin backs out to the left, it will cause the problems you are seeing. Your left grip panel should hold that pin I place. In the event you replaced your factory grips, with say, Hogue grips, check to see if there is a gap between the head of the hammer pin and those grip panels, whichever brand they are. If there is a gap, the hammer pin will slide that way and disengage from the hammer pin hole on the right side of the grip frame. That's not good. If all looks good there, then you might want to check the disconnector. Look for any sharp edges in that square window where the right side of the hammer bushing fits in, for burrs, and remove those with a fine cut needle file. Polish the right side of the disco with at least #400 grit emery paper and then go to #600 to get is as smooth as possible. You might even polish the side of the grip frame where the disco rides to get that free from any rough areas it may be rubbing against.
Yes that pin was sticking out a little on the left side when i got the gun new. Everything functioned correctly so i didn't mess with it. I did actually put hogue grips on it & thats when i first noticed it cuz i had to dremel some of the plastic on the inside of the left grip to be able to get the grip panel screws back in. The pin's all straightened up now but i still gotta go shoot it to see if it's fixed. I'll post my results if i can ever get off work to go to the range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i shot 200 rounds thru the MKIII today & she's all back to normal so I guess the crooked hammer pin was causing it. Very happy my tack driver is fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts