Ruger Mini 14 GB Help

Discussion in 'Ruger Mini 14' started by Caesar2k, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Caesar2k

Caesar2k New Member

Hello Everybody, I'm New To the forum. I Hope somebody can help me. Yesterday I Bought a Mini 14 With Folding Stock,Bayonet lug and Flash Hider a pears Never been Fired.The Receiver has G.S.P stamped. Serial number 182xxx. Anybody Know what G.S.P standFor?
    Thanks?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Looks like it was made in 1980.....maybe Georgia State Patrol??

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Whatever its story is, I like it. Might want to adapt a different stock...

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I bet Ruger could tell you what G.S.P. is for.
    That looks like a handy stock to me.
    Too bad you can't find a spare magazine for it though. Kidding, you can not have too many magazines. IMHO.

5. Caesar2k

Caesar2k New Member

Thanks, The Guy From Ruger Don't Know Exactly what the letter Stand For. The Georgia State Patrol make sense. I will pst better pictures later. Thanks .

6. Caesar2k

Caesar2k New Member

New Pictures Added?!

7. Caesar2k

Caesar2k New Member

Got Response From Ruger
    It is a "GB" model and the "GSP" is for Georgia State Police. There was a very limited quantity produced (no numbers available) circa 1980.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Like the new pictures! Like the gun. Wonder what the GSP wanted with a bayonet.

9. Misfire51

Misfire51 New Member

Because they been stickin it to people for years.:p

10. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Thats a beauty, mind tellin us what you got it for?

11. Caesar2k

Caesar2k New Member

Well......., Don't Tell Anybody, I Paid $850 With 5 Aftermarket Stainless 30 Rounds mags.

12. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

Leave It As-Is

Even though it goes against my grain to state it (I manufacture accessories), you should really keep that rifle in as-is condition...;)

13. overo99

overo99 New Member

G.B.stands for Government Buy. The S designation is for Stainless. These were made by Ruger for LE purchases. The program never took off because the AR was more popular with LE.
    Some were purchased by the Utah Highway patrol and were later fazed out for the AR. Your state or other states most likely did the same. So the mini was sold to gun dealers and the public.
    They carry a bit of a premium over other mini's.

14. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

The OHP was indeed for the Oklahoma State Patrol. Should have a slightly longer stock than cataloged models, a M1 carbine style sling mount, fiberglass handgaurd a red rubber pad and an oiler in the buttstock. Some has a partial see # stamped on the bottom of the grip. The supplied magazines supposedly had slightly different and unmarked magazine bottoms. 1300+/- were stamped OHP. 300+/_ were not stamped. a few early ones reportedly are not roll marked with the receiver warning.

Weeelllllllll.... "GB" indicates "Government barrel" - those having the bayonet lug. Stainless in Ruger code is indicated by a "K" and not an "S". With the Mini model line, "S" is thought to indicate "sling" although not confirmed. "P" would indicate a zytel stock.

Interesting, considering the LE program is still ongoing and still includes the Mini-GB models. They were most popular with prisons although municipal departments did purchase them. I know a few local departments had/have them within their arsenal.