Ruger Match Champion vs GP 100

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by MacDunc, May 20, 2015.

1. MacDunc

MacDunc New Member

Hi guys! My buddy just bought the Target Match. We live in Denmark and have never seen this model before. We have searched the web for info but could not find anything.
    What is the difference between my GP 100 6" stainless rubber/wooden grib and my buddys ? Apart form the looks that is.

Sorry for my english but my main language is danish.

Stay safe ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1432107010.220935.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1432107035.528576.jpg

/Duncan

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk ,

Thanks for joining, and thanks for your first post.

Im sure you will get all your questions answered here.

Jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I found a thread on another forum which stated the GP100 Target Match he had was made around 2004 and Ruger could only tell him the gun was made for export only. That's no doubt why you aren't finding anything about it. I got lucky and found this one thread on another Ruger gun forum. You being in Denmark seems to backup Ruger saying it was made for export only. The thread I found was also from a person in Denmark.
    I would suggest comparing the trigger actions to see if the Target has a smoother lighter trigger than the GP100. I am suspecting it will be just like my Match Champion has a much smoother trigger then the normal GP100.
    Welcome to RT.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  4. MacDunc

MacDunc New Member

Thank you Buster40c. The other one from another forum is possibly the man we bought it from. He told us that he had called Ruger, but they couldn`t tell him anything. So I thought.....Find a Ruger forum full of men which knows everything :)
    When the permit arrives we will post close up pictures and tell how it handles, but for now thank you very much.

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Let us know because I am interested in if the trigger was improved for competition shooting.
    When I find a forum that knows it all about Rugers I will let you know. I wouldn't doubt there are some Ruger owners here that can tell you more than I could. Check back you just might find a better answer here.
    Go to the Ruger site and see if you can email them question about your gun.

6. MacDunc

MacDunc New Member

Just found out som more. Ruger Target Match, serial 174-90454, date 03/27/2004 FFL G-02-010-07-2M-0140 and signed IRA H DAY IV, made in Lacey Place Southport, CT 06490. Did as you suggested Buster40c and mail Ruger. Now we will wait. Thank you so much for your help.

Attached Files:

7. CLF

CLF Hunter, CAS/SASS

MacDunc, first off your English is better than a whole lot of English people use.

Besides the obvious differences (cosmetics) this GP100 should have a better trigger. I have a GP100 6 inch model (I Love) and have shot a friends GP100 which is similar to your new one. My friends did have a better trigger and I am hoping this export does also.

I am looking forward to your report as to what you find when you shoot it. On an aside, how much does a GP100 go for over there?

Greg

8. MacDunc

MacDunc New Member

CLF you are way to kind!! But thank you, I will try to improve my skills. Hopefully me and The Chief of Staff (my wife) are going to the US for the very first time in 2017. Apart from that a used GP 100 6 inch stainless goes for about 670$ and my friend had to bleed 1860$. He was lucky however and negotiated a price 1341$ because the dealer couldn´t sell it.
    We both were looking for holsters to our guns. In Denmark we could get the Forbus paddle for 75$. I found a seller on Ebay in Israel....He shipped it and sold the same holster for 27$. Denmark is a strange country. I had hope to find a basketweaver (sorry dont know the right name for it - but its like the one in the picture) I really dont like plastic but wanted leather sadly its wasn´t available.
    Last time we talked to the police, we were told we had to wait 14 weeks for the permit...sigh.

/Duncan

Attached Files:

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Welcome to the forum MacDunc,
    I live in Arizona, USA and I looked all over E-Bay for a holster and basically would come up with the same vendors with basically the same prices and some very high prices. I managed to find a man in Phoenix, Az who is a holster/leather maker and I had him make me up a holster for my RugerSR1911 Commander. The fit is great and it's an OWB. I can give you his name, and when you are in the states, you may want to call him and explain what your needs are. He is very amiable and willing to work with you on your needs

His name is Rick and I only had to wait about 5-7 days for help to make, sew and bone my holster. Should you have any questions, don't be afraid to let me know. I will help all I can. I hope your future stay in the States are fun and enjoyable! Should you be interested in writing or contacting him, drop me a pm and I will send you the information.
    Tommy

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  10. MacDunc

MacDunc New Member

Well first of all I want to thank you for helping me out. Second I got an email from Ruger. The only thing the would tell was that the gun was made in 2004. They would not tell how many or to which countries it was sold to. So still hoping for someone to have a bit of info for us.