Ruger Mark series take down thoughts

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by jmohme, Feb 14, 2020.

1. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I am on several other firearms forums and anytime there is a thread on Mark series pistols, it turns into an endless rant on how big a PITA take down and reassembly is.

My very first handgun was a brand new Ruger Mark I. Nobody had told me that they were difficult to work with, so I never knew.
    The first thing I did when I got it home was to take it apart to see how it was made and to clean and lube it. I was absolutely amazed at the fact that it could be taken down without a single tool! I had no trouble with reassembly either.
    I have since then owned a Mark 2 and a Mark3 22/45 Lite and have no trouble taking down any of them.

I really wonder if all those folks on the other forums that complain about these fine pistols, could even change the oil in their cars without cross threading the drain plug. There is the Mark IV for those folks.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

I couldn’t agree more and for those who can’t seem to put them back together, there are many YouTube videos that will help. If that fails there is always your local gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith and jmohme like this.

3. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

When I purchased my Mark II, it was used and it came without a manual so it was a challenge to reassemble it the first time. However, after watching a couple videos online, as well as printing up (and reading) the manual it was easy enough. It just took practice and patience.

Ruger MK. II #01.JPG

rugertoter and SGW Gunsmith like this.
  4. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Nice MkII! One of the best ones ever made right there. ;)

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  5. robmkivseries70

robmkivseries70 New Member

I can empathize, l first owned a Standard model in the 70s and once I got it figured out it was fine. I had a MK III that due to the Magazine disconnect was a real PITA when you needed the hammer to go forward. I now have a MKIV and have not yet had a chance to shoot it. grrr The take down is super slick though.
    Best,
    Rob

6. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

The key is understanding the orientation of the hammer strut in the assembled pistol. You can put one back together in less than a minute.

7. robmkivseries70

robmkivseries70 New Member

I finally got the 22/45 Tactical out today, I didn't do as well accuracy wise as I wanted but I had not shot since November. I had one round fail to fire although it did on the second try. The pistol functioned 100%. On the round that failed, I noticed the bullet had a cut on it that happened during feeding. It had to have hung up a bit on the lip of the chamber going in to place. So far so good. ETA: The ammo was Federal bulk pack 525 round count HP and Aguila 40 gr. Super Extra.
    Best,
    Rob

8. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

My 22/45 Lite had some odd issues at first. It was really picky about what I fed it, but after a couple hundred Mini Mags, everything seemed to wear in and all has been well since.

9. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

"Takedown Thoughts"? Disassembly of any and all of the Ruger Mark pistols, at least from my view, seems to be a very easy thing for owners to do, even complete disassembly.
    I've lost track of how many Ruger Mark pistols have been dropped off in a paper bag that were completely apart, and of course, done so by an inebriated brother-in-law who also repairs lawn mowers. Are all the parts in this bag? Oh sure! NOT!
    Back in the early 70's there were no ametuer Steven Speilbergs filming reassembly processes on the not yet invented internet by Al Gore, that any caveman could follow along with.
    Once an owner actually takes the time to understand reassembly, it's not a very difficult endeavor.

robmkivseries70 and jmohme like this.