Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many Mark III owners are completely fed-up with dis and then re-assembly of their pistols for a much needed, and routinely required, cleaning maintenance plan. What to do?
The Ruger engineers inflicted a system into the Ruger Mark III that requires a real PITA to deal with during disassembly. The "magazine disconnect". These parts require that pulling the trigger requires that a magazine be inserted into the grip frame. Either empty or full, doesn't matter.
So, during take-down, you need to verify that the chamber is empty of any live rounds, as is the magazine, to be SAFE, then you insert the empty magazine, point the pistol in a safe direction, then, and only then, will you be able to pull the trigger and send the hammer forward. Then, you need to remove the magazine so that the mainspring housing latch can be pulled down and the mainspring housing removed. Removing the upper from the grip frame will now be easily done.
Enter, a very smart fella' who perfected the design of a replacement hammer bushing that takes the magazine disconnect parts out of play, and then the pistol will behave much more like the Ruger Mark II pistol does, for maintenance.
Others came along and tried to copy his design, but from the get-go it was noticed that the copy-cats were oblivious as to what they were doing which reflected their firearms knowledge ignorance. Tandemkross did what they do best, copy someone's idea. This was their first "boondoggle" because they made their first attempt out of aluminum. They did sell a bunch of these to unsuspecting customers that trusted their sales pitch, but when the bushings began to wear quickly from dealing with "steel" mating parts, failure of those aluminum bushings came in droves. No, we never did read of a replacement or rebate program involved when they finally went to using "steel" for their bushing. Good customer service?
Another feature those two had no clue about, hammer bushing bore size is not the same with every Ruger Mark III pistol hammer, the size varies, so many of their hammer bushings fit loosely and drifted from side to side over the hammer pivot pin, and some even wobbled. Didn't do much to maintain a consistent trigger pull.
So, that's why I like to work with MY fabulous customers and see that they get a matched hammer to hammer bushing accomplishment, which they deserve for what they're spending:

This is a combined assembly of a Ruger Mark III "speed-lock" hammer and a press fit hammer bushing that will replace the magazine disconnect parts for a Mark III pistol. The hammer has had all contact surfaces polished for smooth operation, and best of all, it's a "drop-in" part, so you can replace your original parts if your pistol ever needs to go back to Ruger.
Send me an email or private message if you'd like to learn more.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I wish you had warned me years ago before I, without any issues, took down, cleaned, and resembled my Mark III more times than I care to count.
I had no idea it was supposed to be difficult.

I sometimes wonder if folks that claim to have so much trouble with this process could even change the oil in their cars.

Sure, It is not as easy as taking down a Glock, but it's not brain surgery either.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I posted many warnings after the Ruger Mark III first hit the distributor shelves in 2003, or so, concerning the magazine disconnect and then how to thwart that feature so reassembly is much easier, on several forums involving rimfire semi-auto handguns.
I agree, some just don't feel the need to get too deeply involved with the workings of their Ruger Mark pistols, and I also understand, they'd rather pass those duties off to someone else, and that's their choice, and entitlement.

·
Registered
107 Posts
...Sure, It is not as easy as taking down a Glock, but it's not brain surgery either.
Like everything else mechanical, once you understand and become familiar with how each part of a mechanical device interacts with one another to allow it's operation, that device becomes easy to disassemble and reassemble.

The Ruger Mark series pistols are no different.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I remember people complaining about the takedown on even the old Mark I.

My first gun was a Mark I so I had no frame of reference and thought the no tool needed takedown was just brilliantly simple, and still do.
I will admit, I had to read the instructions when I got my Mark III, but after that, it was no problem.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember people complaining about the takedown on even the old Mark I.

My first gun was a Mark I so I had no frame of reference and thought the no tool needed takedown was just brilliantly simple, and still do.
I will admit, I had to read the instructions when I got my Mark III, but after that, it was no problem.
The main "quirk" involved with the Ruger Mark III was that dang magazine disconnect. The magazine in, magazine out waltz was the PITA that stifled most owners, and some owners just didn't care to get involved with complete disassembly to do a CORRECT and THOROUGH cleaning of their pistol. That's where us "good-natured" gunsmiths shine. Helping our customers and even showing them how to over-come those hurdles.

NEXT UP: DrewBone :p

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I get that.
I think, for me anyway, that my advantage was that I always had a curiosity for how things worked. When I bought my first gun, even before I had purchased any ammo, I took it home and laid it out in all of its pieces on the table, just to see how it was made.

After years of having to work on things for a living, that curiosity is somewhat stifled now, so I would guess that If I were new to shooting and acquired a Mark III, I might be among the frustrated too....but probably not. :)

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get that.
I think, for me anyway, that my advantage was that I always had a curiosity for how things worked. When I bought my first gun, even before I had purchased any ammo, I took it home and laid it out in all of its pieces on the table, just to see how it was made.

After years of having to work on things for a living, that curiosity is somewhat stifled now, so I would guess that If I were new to shooting and acquired a Mark III, I might be among the frustrated too....but probably not. :)
Reads to me like your curiosity is too strong, and your willingness to learn by doing is a gift others just don't care to get involved with.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They SURE are! The Mark I is different from the Mark II, and the Mark III is different from both the Mark I & the Mark II. Then..........the Mark IV is different from all of the previous three. AND........the Mark 22/45 pistols are different from each other and the Mark I, II & III.

You are very WELCOME for all the knowledge I bring here. Hope some of it will sink in, so you won't embarrass yourself so much around here. :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
For those who have problems with reading comprehension, I'll spell it out for you so you can stop embarrassing yourself:

Like everything else mechanical, once you understand and become familiar with how each part of a mechanical device interacts with one another to allow it's operation, that device becomes easy to disassemble and reassemble.

The *bold text in my reply above goes hand in hand with the paragraph above it, meaning that the Ruger Mark I, II, III pistols are mechanical devices that once an owner becomes familiarized with and understands their mechanics, they are easier to disassemble and reassemble.

There are obviously differences between the Mark I, II, III, and IV models, but those differences were not the topic of my response.

*spelling mistake corrected for the deity in the group.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And that's your MAIN problem. Now that it was pointed out to you, you finally understand that there are differences between all the versions. Your information is always extremely vague about any and all specifics you post, no doubt due to lack of knowledge on the subjects, and that has nothing to do with anyone's reading comprehension, it's mostly ignorance on the part of the author of said post. Ummm, you got a mirror?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts