Ruger LCR .357 Nirvana!

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by RedSoxRugers, May 5, 2013.

1. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

I've hated the fact that my KLCR has a much heavier trigger than my past 2 38+Ps.
    [​IMG]
    Also.. the fact that I don't enjoy shooting Magnums out of it at all unless I'm ready for
    some punishment to my hands.

Thus, I decided to use 38+P for practice and carry.

I asked Ruger to sell me a 38+P spring a couple weeks ago.

It (Free.. I might add) arrived very quickly and I found some time today to install it.

Using the LCR Manual and a You Tube video (Only showed the upper assembly)
    and some trial and error on my part for about 30 minutes.

I'm happy to say that my gun now has a 38+P spring in it and seems to dry fire
    wonderfully!

I'd say the result is about 3 pounds lighter!

Now I can tighten up my 38 shooting when I go out next.
    [​IMG]

Thanks Ruger Customer Service!

[​IMG]

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Great looking revolver...my SP101 357 is a hand full....I say the LCR has some "kick".....

3. chelboed

chelboed Member

I don't want to sound dumb, but it's a revolver...why is it considered a 38+p spring? The load has nothing to do with the trigger.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

4. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

It differs from the .22 LR /.22 Magnum spring. I'm told they have an even heavier spring and that if a 38+P spring is installed
    then you get light rimfire strikes.

5. toma

toma New Member

I have a LCR .357 and love it. I always run 30 rounds of .357 Mag thru it at the range, then switch to .38 +P. I put .357 in it to carry.

6. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I really enjoy the LCR. I have 4 and really like carrying them ... Even have a issue .38+p I'm carrying now

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Are you saying the SP 357 recoil/kick is more than the LCR 357?
    On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the holy crap my hand hurts.
    How do you rate recoil/kick of the SP101 357 and then the LCR 357 ?
    I didn't know the 38+P had easier trigger than the 357? I really like the 357 trigger.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  8. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I would say the LCR has a lot more kick being smaller while shooting the same 357 load......The SP101 has some kick but very controllable......

9. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

It seemed like my .357 had a somewhat stronger spring than my past 38+Ps.

That was fixed by installing a new spring, but I learned that both the .38+P
    and .357 use the same spring.

My past SP-101s did have less recoil than my .357 LCR but were much heavier to carry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  10. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Though at first when considering what gun to shoot and carry I went with the Ruger SR40C, but with every posting of a LCR, or GP or SP model. I can see the advantage of having a good small revolver as a carry. If and when I can purchase a second gun, this will be pondered by me. I need to make friends with someone who has a .357 magnum gun, so i can try it out someday.
    (when I shot for the VERY first time.. My buddy training me had a .38 Charter Arms pistol, Ruger SR9 and a Ruger SR40.
    I shot the SR40 real well and though my thumb was aching at first from the Snappy .40S&W ammo... I liked the entire experience.

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

If you thought the sr40c was snappy then you might rethink that after shooting an LCR 357. I have both and the sr40c was my cc gun. The LCR is now my main cc gun. I like the built in safety and reliability of the revolver. I like the 19 oz. loaded weight and easy to conceal. LOL the LCR 357 is a weeeeee bit more than snappy, it is more like a snake strike. I carry loaded with 38+P. which is much easier to handle than the .357.

12. nevis

nevis New Member

What kind of holster is that in your picture? I like it!

13. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Hi, Old Faithful OWb kydex for lasermax equipped LCRs.

and a Safariland LCR shoulder holster that I can no longer use due to my gun now having
    the lasermax.

I'll be putting it in the classifieds.