Ruger LCR .357 cylinder issue

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Jakeusaf, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Jakeusaf

Jakeusaf New Member

Hello, new to the forums. I recently purchased a LCR in .357 and took it to the range today, amd immediatly noticed a serious issue. The cylinder would stop spinning intermittently. Sometimes it will fire all the rounds and sometimes it wont rotate at all. Very bad considering this is my carry weapon. Im not stopping halfway through the trigger pull or anything like that. I noticed i can put pressure on the cylinder from the side with a finger and itll catch and rotate. This is my first revolver but im not new to firearms by any means. Please tell me im making some dumb rookie mistake, i would rather not singe my brand new weapon to ruger already. Thanks for looking!

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

If you don't let your finger let the trigger reset then it can lock up the cylinder. If you are letting the trigger reset then I would say check to see if the casing head space is to thick or are the primers backing out some. Both of these can cause the cylinder to lock up. Check the ammo you are using for defects. Try another ammo to see if you have the same thing. If these checks prove negative then call Ruger.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Make sure the bullets are not moving forward from the case ,
    Recoil is hard on loose crimps,

Just a thought.

Jim

4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

If you can push the cylinder into the frame and it will catch....if you need to do that every time then it sounds like the frame may be misaligned. I would call Ruger and explain the issue, see what they say- oh check the pawl to see if it functions correctly- leave the cylinder open and cycle the action and watch the pawl. Also check the extractor to be sure it's not sitting on grit or lint and that it's functioning properly.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The three posts above said it all. :Cooltu:
    The only thing I can add is, Ruger has good customer service if it's needed.
    They will take care of you.

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I agree. One time I didn't put enough crimp on some of my loads and after 2-3 shots the bullets remaining in the cylinder would slide forward in the case about 1/10th of an inch from the recoil, locking up the cylinder. The max OAL length for .357 is 1.590" recoil will be substantial in lightweight snubbys too.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

My LCR only locked up one time and that was when I first got it. It wasn't a fault of the gun. A bullet had come forward from the casing and jammed against the frame locking up the cylinder from turning. I pushed the bullet back and then checked the round. The casing had a hairline crack which let the bullet come forward from the recoil of previous shots fired. Has never happened again. I now check my ammo for defects when I load the gun.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  8. blurgle blaget

blurgle blaget New Member

same thing happened to mine, bought years ago when they were first coming out in .357. happened twice intermittently. rotating cylinder with fingers back and forth freed it up. sent to ruger, it looks like they shaved metal off and tried to reblue where the firing pin comes out and hits the primer. havent shot it much since. i dont trust it. if i remember the trigger also stayed back almost locked in position. my two cents also bout a ruger lcp 380 when they first came out and the trigger guard snapped at the top. i did drop it previously. broke when was in back pocket, still fired tho. no more test dummy guns for me :D