Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we are shopping for a small revolver that'll be used in a purse my wife can handle. We have tried the LCR 9mm and LCR 38 special and it just seems to be to much for her weak hands and grip with no hope of here ever taking the time to build them up so we going to inquire about the LCR 22 WMR in hope we can shoot 22 LR to practice and WMR when she carries. I know shot placement with confidence is everything so I think this will do the trick. Does anyone have want, know where to get one and any experience with this weapons. Being able to shoot a lot cheaply is # 2 priority. Please advise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I carry one quite a bit! A 22 magnum is a whole another smoke compared to a 22 lr. Shot placement is critical!
So in your opinion and shot placement is correct will a 22 WMR curve someone's aggressive attitude and if it's a head shot put them down. I have been reading some article but not yet found one that compares the CCI TNT to the Hornady Critical Defense 22 WMR. Is there a noticeable difference between a LR and a WMR in the LCR as far as recoil is concerned?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You ought to watch this video comparing both cartridges.

22 WMR will have more recoil then 22 LR because it is a more powerful load. That does not mean it will be a better or worse self defense round. Any gun can “ curve someone's aggressive attitude” because of the psychological impact of seeing a gun aimed at you. No one wants to get shot. There are many reported situations when an assailant saw his intended victim had a gun the assailant retreated.

Regarding a head shot “putting them down”. The only answer is maybe. First you have to penetrate the skull which is very thick bone on the front, less thick on the back, and even less thick on the sides. Chances are in a self defense situation that you will be shooting at the front of the skill. Even larger calibers have been known to ricochet off the skull particularly if the bullet strikes a curve in the skull. If the bullet does penetrate it’s probability of incapacitating is dependent on factors such as depth of penetration and section of the brain that is damaged, there is no guarantee wit a head shot as there is no guarantee with any caliber.

Assuracy is important. Recoil affects accuracy. More recoil can mean less accuracy, depending on hand strength and training. I were making the choice I would go with 22LR. Neither the WMR or LR is going to expand out of a short barrel pistol. So wound cavity is going to be same as if shooting FMJ. With no expansion penetration and accuracy are important. 22 WMR will penetrate deeper, but if the recoil impedes accuracy the better penetration is not going to be better than a 22 LR that hits right where you want it to.

When 22 caliber and going for a head shot the idea so to not shoot for the skull area. Better to aim for the area between the nose and mouth. The teeth are easier to get past than a shill, and the bullet will encounter little resistance as it travels rearward toward the spinal column. Any 22 bullet will do significant damage to the spine and stop the assailant. But pulling that off requires really good accuracy, which in a hostile encounter means keeping control over your nerves and the adrenaline rush. One thing is for certain. Being shot in the space is likely to disrupt any bad guy’s assault.

‘This video is a good comparison between the two rounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You ought to watch this video comparing both cartridges.

22 WMR will have more recoil then 22 LR because it is a more powerful load. That does not mean it will be a better or worse self defense round. Any gun can “ curve someone's aggressive attitude” because of the psychological impact of seeing a gun aimed at you. No one wants to get shot. There are many reported situations when an assailant saw his intended victim had a gun the assailant retreated.

Regarding a head shot “putting them down”. The only answer is maybe. First you have to penetrate the skull which is very thick bone on the front, less thick on the back, and even less thick on the sides. Chances are in a self defense situation that you will be shooting at the front of the skill. Even larger calibers have been known to ricochet off the skull particularly if the bullet strikes a curve in the skull. If the bullet does penetrate it’s probability of incapacitating is dependent on factors such as depth of penetration and section of the brain that is damaged, there is no guarantee wit a head shot as there is no guarantee with any caliber.

Assuracy is important. Recoil affects accuracy. More recoil can mean less accuracy, depending on hand strength and training. I were making the choice I would go with 22LR. Neither the WMR or LR is going to expand out of a short barrel pistol. So wound cavity is going to be same as if shooting FMJ. With no expansion penetration and accuracy are important. 22 WMR will penetrate deeper, but if the recoil impedes accuracy the better penetration is not going to be better than a 22 LR that hits right where you want it to.

When 22 caliber and going for a head shot the idea so to not shoot for the skull area. Better to aim for the area between the nose and mouth. The teeth are easier to get past than a shill, and the bullet will encounter little resistance as it travels rearward toward the spinal column. Any 22 bullet will do significant damage to the spine and stop the assailant. But pulling that off requires really good accuracy, which in a hostile encounter means keeping control over your nerves and the adrenaline rush. One thing is for certain. Being shot in the space is likely to disrupt any bad guy’s assault.

‘This video is a good comparison between the two rounds.
Very interesting video and great write up. I'm also guess you should not shoot 22 LR in a 22 MAG cylinder not because of pressure but because the power burning will do damage to the counterbore in the revolvers cylinder or is a 22 MAG cylinder a smooth bore because the round does not head space on the brass but on the rim/ I have not looked at one that close.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This video will clearly explain why you should not shoot 22 LR in a 22 WMR pistol. First the velocity is nearly cut in half and second the differences in diameter makes the 22 LR casing distort and can cause brass contamination in the cylinder. A simple logical explanation is that guns red precision dependent machines. Getting the benefit of th precision Is dependent upon using only precisely compatible ammo. Think of it this way. I have a 33 inch waist. If I wear 34 inch pants they are too loose. So I need a belt that I have to cinch very tight to keep my pants from sliding down, and that causes discomfort. The moral is don’t put a 33 inch waist into 34 inch trousers.

Forgot to mention one other point in my previous reply. Effective self-defense with a gun requires accuracy and speed. You have to acquire the target fast while selects point of aim. Since firing multiple successive rounds is advised it is important to consider the effect of recoil on re-acquiring the point of aim after each shot. That would be easier with the LR than with the WMR for a hand/wrist weak person.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This video will clearly explain why you should not shoot 22 LR in a 22 WMR pistol. First the velocity is nearly cut in half and second the differences in diameter makes the 22 LR casing distort and can cause brass contamination in the cylinder. A simple logical explanation is that guns red precision dependent machines. Getting the benefit of th precision Is dependent upon using only precisely compatible ammo. Think of it this way. I have a 33 inch waist. If I wear 34 inch pants they are too loose. So I need a belt that I have to cinch very tight to keep my pants from sliding down, and that causes discomfort. The moral is don’t put a 33 inch waist into 34 inch trousers.

Forgot to mention one other point in my previous reply. Effective self-defense with a gun requires accuracy and speed. You have to acquire the target fast while selects point of aim. Since firing multiple successive rounds is advised it is important to consider the effect of recoil on re-acquiring the point of aim after each shot. That would be easier with the LR than with the WMR for a hand/wrist weak person.
Thank you again for all the advice and insight. It looks like 22 LR wins considering velocity and almost no expansion in maybe a eight shot revolver. Do you all suggest to stay away from light and ultra light revolvers too?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Heavier guns i any given caliber absorb more recoil then k]lighter guns. That means the felt recoils will not be as intense in the heavier gun. That said, I think the choice of gun regardless of caliber is dependent upon the individual. Her eyes are some factors to consider in selection.

Barrel length which relates to velocity which in turn related to muzzle energy

Ergonomics meaning how the gun feels in the hand(s). An uncomfortable grip is a bad choice.

Loaded weight is important because it affects stability in aiming and firing. A person should be able to hold the gun at shooting arms length for at least a minute without firing. If the gun is too heavy the person will not be able to maintain stability of extended arms which will hamper aiming and can lead to limp writing the gun, which is to be avoided for accuracy and safety sake. 22LR in a erecolver is not going to add much weight to an unloaded gun. But the difference between a 9mm with 7 rounds and 15 rounds can be impairing depending upon individual strength.

Renting and shooting the gun(s) under consideration is the best way to make a better choice.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The .22WMR in a short barreled revolver gives you minimal advantage over .good .22lr IMHO. Less recoil, NOISE and Muzzle Flash(.22lr) that can disorient and confuse an inexperienced user. An altercation with a firearm is nothing like Hollywood depicts! You will experience sensory deprivation, have tunnel vision and loss of hearing! It will be worse with a .22WMR then with a .22lr because everything is magnified in the .22WMR. The magnum rd has considerably more flash & noise then a .22lr. especially from a short barreled pistol. That is why it was never "issued" in the military or govt. Too much downside for very little upside. Use a 40gr solid .22lr in a mid velocity 1200-1250 fps and you will be fine. The HP's are unreliable in expansion and the solid penetrates better. Recoil is zero, penetration is more than most people realize, and shot placement is easier. When confronted and there is no other alternative but lethal force, several well placed rds with a .22lr will ruin most peoples day and make them rethink their negative attitude! After 12/13 yrs with DOD/DIA I can tell you unequivocally the .22lr will do the job, if you make a solid hit. Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all, If I understand you correctly; you want to practice with 22 lr cheaply and carry 22 mag? You can't shoot 22 lr in a 22 magnum cylinder. I have an LCR in 22 lr and I have an LCR in 22 magnum. Both of their triggers are a bit heavier than the LCR in 38 special, which I also own. If she has weak hand strength, she will not do well with either of the rimfire versions. The trigger pull on the LCR 22 magnum is a bit heavier even than the 22 lr version. This is needed for reliable ignition of the rimfire priming compounds. Have you considered the SR22?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know shot placement with confidence is everything so I think this will do the trick.
Shot placement is critical, but it is by no stretch of the imagination "everything". If it were then .17 HMR would be the ultimate self-defense round. That said, .22 WMR is certainly better than a harsh word, so I wouldn't discourage anyone from carrying it if they're not able/willing to use something with more oomph behind it. But don't kid yourself into thinking that it is as reliably effective at stopping a threat as more powerful rounds would be so long as you hit your target. It isn't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts