Ruger LCP vs. LCP 2 ?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by kahoolawe, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

Looking for your opinion, please.
    I have a Ruger LCP.
    I've added the Hogue rubber grip.
    I've added the red alloy Galloway trigger.
    I've added the 13lbs Wolfe springs.
    I've added the new rod as well.
    And of course, the CT Laser.

With all that being said... Laser was like $70.00. Trigger was like $50.00.
    Everything else was affordable.

If you were me, considering the redesign of the Ruger in the new Ruger LCP 2. Would you sell and obtain the latest model?
    Or would simply be foolish, considering what I've put into this one?
    What's your take?

Anyone staying put with the older model? Why?

Attached Files:

2. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Buy the II and compare for yourself; they aren't all that expensive.

3. allenr

allenr Member

It seems to me from reading and watching reviews of the LCP 2 that it's biggest advantage over the original LCP is the new model's trigger. Having owned a LC9 I was tempted to install a Galloway trigger in it. But before I got to that the Lc9s came out so I traded up to the S model. No regrets here, but I had nothing into the Original Lc9 other than the $220 I paid for it used. I sold it for the same price and only had to put about $125 to make up the difference for a new Lc9s. It was a good move because the trigger performance was so improved as to make it worth ever penny spent.

I don't recall reading about much benefit other than trigger performance when moving up to the 2. Of course I might have missed something. The 2 is still a hammer fired action not striker fired, so it might not be much, if any, better the original with a Galloway trigger. Maybe someone here has made that comparison in real life use.

Anyway, you do have a lot into your gun, and unless performance is a continuing issue, I can see no reason to upgrade. You might try selling the original model with the adaptations you have added. That would certainly bring more return than just the plain model.

It is about your satisfaction with performance. If you are happy with what you have and it works reliably, why change?

4. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

They are affordable.
    I like the look of the new one better.
    But I think I have a lot invested into mine, and I'd lose my bootay.

5. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

Well said, Sir! And I have $50.00 in the 7-round mag that doesn't work with the new model, also...

6. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

OK, I spoke with two gunsmiths. Both told me to stay put. They said, like others have already mentioned, the trigger is better, but I've already corrected that with my upgraded trigger. Boom!
    They said, unless the new version weighs half as much "it doesn't, ha" then no need to swap.

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Keep what you got. It should shoot well, so what is to be gained with a trade-in?

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

My brothers both own the LCP. I have the LCPII. I have shot both models extensively. Here is my take.

LCP II Pros.
    More accurate
    Better sights
    Much better trigger
    Doesn't sting the hand

LCP Pros
    Lighter weight
    More rounder
    Better pocket carry

The difference that matters more to me is the grip design.
    Wider through backstrap. It spreads the recoil over more of the hand.

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I have a Gen 2 of the original LCP. Changed springs, guide rod and added a grip sleeve. Also used glow paint on a toothpick to fabricate rudimentary sights. Terrible range pistol, but fits right in my front pocket. I love it and don't need anything different.

Attached Files:

10. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I happened to the farm a few weeks ago. Both my brothers were there shooting plates with their Magnum revolvers at 30 yards.

I was not planning on shooting that day and all I had was my LCP II. I had shot it some at the 15 yard line at the range I belong to and decided to give it a try.
    Bang-Clang
    Bang-Clang
    Bang-Clang
    Bang-Miss
    Bang-Clang
    Bang-Miss
    Bang-Clang
    All 5 plates down and I had a round left.

Priceless!

11. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

Agreed! I realize that now. I've put too much money into this model.
    It's not my "range gun" so it doesn't need to be comfy.
    It just needs to be "there" when I need it.

12. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

I appreciate you taking the time. I think the Hogue rubber grip may have solved that issue with my older model. The laser solves the sights, ha.
    As long as the battery works.

13. kahoolawe

kahoolawe New Member

Nice image! Looks clean! I like the sights. Well done.
    Giving me ideas. Not sure if I have enough room for that though.

14. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Gongworthy! :Cooltu:

15. PilotPhil81

PilotPhil81 New Member

I just sold my LCP 2 yesterday,and went back to the original LCP. The trigger, slide lock, and better sites are good. The big problem I had with the gun is I could tell it was thicker, heavier, and a bit bigger when it was in my pocket. I had printing problems with all of my pants. This was never a problem with my old gun.

16. smileyblair

smileyblair New Member

I would shoot it first. But I love both of my lcp rugars. Do note. The trigger is much lighter. For example. I have 6 pocket 380's. Five of them have heavy trigger pulls. When I pick up the lcp2 at the range, the trigger is so light it sometimes goes off (while pointed at target etc) way before I expect. You get accustomed to the heavy pull, and the light lcp2 will surprise you.... possibly. But I do love it and can shoot it better than any of my pocket 380's.

17. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

I just broke 600 rounds on my lcp 2 this evening. I love it. I had a few ftf/ fte's in the first 100 rounds. Now it is just a shooter. I used to own the lcp and carry it as a bug like I do my lcp2 now. It was ok, but I didn't really like it. I really like my lcp 2!!!

18. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Did you say you like your LCPII? :D

19. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1496717794.345047.jpg

Yes, very much. Perfect BUG pistol. IMHO.

20. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Looks like the OP has a pretty sweet setup on his Elsie Pea. I'd keep it and save up for the Dos. No point selling yours.

I'd never considered the original LCP as a BUG because the trigger sucked, the sights were minuscule and the slide didn't lock back after the last round.

When I discovered Ruger had redesigned the LCP and fixed these issues, I was on it. It replaced my j-frame as my BUG.

Like Lucian, I love the II.

If I were you, I'd keep the yours and save up for the II. It's very reasonably-priced.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1497154235.295680.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1497154310.423561.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1497154363.669474.jpg