Ruger LCP II

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by SavageGuy, Oct 7, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

2. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Striker fired?

3. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Saw this a few days ago, before the actual "here it is" actually, and i do like the changes they've brought to this one. Not one for the mini-sized pistols but I know many do prefer them which is great. Do like the single action trigger and hammer fired operation. :) Hope it's a good one for the company.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I am somewhat alarmed that Ruger is "temporarily" stopping production of the 77/ series while introducing new semiauto handguns. The stoppage is at the Newport NH plant, the newbies are at the Prescott AZ plant. Whazzup?

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

While I don't have info on this matter, consider...

It was indeed announced as a temporary stop of production so not a "goodbye, they're gone for good". Their assembly plants are at full capacity already so dropping a few slower movers to concentrate on more in-demand models makes sense. It also allows R&D amble time to push new products out ahead before possibly redesigning existing models such as the 77/xx models like they did with the Red Labels. The 2 piece bolts would be much better changed to a diff design. Also very easy for them to simply make a small run should demand dictate or a distributor contract for them. (I'm leaning towards a redesign) Another possibility - time to retool for new molds AND a redesign of the bolt.
    In the market, the demand for bolt actions in the chambering offered in the 77/xx models isn't exactly a dominant area, especially in the price point they're in. More and more people are becoming satisfied with minimums, basic and "cheap" which makes me wonder how much the American Rimfire rifle effected the demand for the 77/22 models. In contradiction, that of the concealable semi-auto is a larger and growing market. Again, smart business.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  6. louchia

louchia Member

No, hammer fired but now is suppose to have a much better trigger, shorter and more crisp.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  7. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

I'm a big fan of the LC9s Pro; single action, striker fired, hammerless; they have always been my "go to" when it comes to conceal carry. Arizona being my birth place, I like that it's made in Prescott (pronounced "Press-ket"), just in case you're ever down that way; wouldn't want anyone to think you're a Tourist!

8. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

I just read the article in American Rifleman about these in .380; interesting, as a pocket pistol, I see the need for the low profile sights associated with the snag problem. I'm not one who carries "in pocket," but I see the issue for sure, a couple of seconds trying to clear a pocket, certainly could cost you your life and if you have to "off safety," after you are at the ready, sure most certainly would require a lot of practice for instinct and muscle memory. A lot to consider.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Is there an ergonomic difference between carrying 'naked' in pocket and carrying in a pocket holster?

10. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Carrying in a holster will break up the outline, keep the gun orientated, and protect the trigger.

11. Uncle_Louie

Uncle_Louie 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

Well I have been pocket carrying the old style LCP for a number of years now and I am totally happy with it. The heaver trigger serves as a safety to me similar to a pocket carried revolver. I don't mind the slide not saying back on the last shot again similar to a revolver. The cylinder does not open on the last shot. Why do I carry a auto, number of shots in a mag, ease of loading and most of all size.

12. accutron

accutron New Member

Wife just got a LCP II. She loves the gun. So far abut 200 rounds thru it with no issues. It is her EDC with her S&W Bodyguard a close second.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Personally I am not a fan of the smaller pocket carry pistols but I read this article this morning on the American Rifleman. The Vid that Allen put up makes it look good. One has to remember that the general public is craving these types of pistols and Ruger stated that they are at full production. I am sure with the new bullet design, a .380 might do the job, however I like to be able to fire a longer range pistol. I am not knocking the new LC9II, however I will stick to my SR1911LW for EDC.

Tommy

14. allenr

allenr Member

Tommy,

While I carried and used an M1911 on my three tours in Nam when it came to an EDC piece as a civilian I went to 9mm. One reason for that was with hollow points I could get more than adequate killing power in a 9mm. Another reason was that I had near the end of my time in the Corps worn two rotator cuffs to a point that surgery would not improve them. The 1911 added more weight to balance than a 9mm. Believe me when your rotator cuff(s) go it plays havoc on your ability to steady a pistol in any stance. With HPs in 9mm I felt quite secure since the combo is killer if one is an accurate shooter. My accuracy with the 9 was better than with a 1911. We both know a well placed shot is more critical than caliber.

Over the years since my retirement from the Corps in 1989 the rotator chuffs have further deteriorated. Eventually I had to reduce the weight of my EDC. Three years ago I replaced my Beretta with an Lc9 and a year ago traded to the S mod.

When I learned about the Underwood Xtreme Defender round I watched ever review I could find. I was convinced that the round provided everything I wanted in a EDC setup. After shooting hundreds of those rounds in my Lc9s I am totally convinced that I now carry a totally manageable and accurate gun with a exceptionally lethal round that makes a permanent wound cavity that exceeds any hollow point even after going through a car door, windshield, wallboard, etc.

My secondary advantage is that when I carry IEB which is most often there is no imprint. I have the stealth factor to my advantage along with super accuracy and an extremely lethal round. Couple all that with the fact that I keep my tactical accuracy honed by weekly practice and I don't feel a need for 45 ACP.

When they replaced our M14s with 16s in Nam we all worried that the smaller round would be a detriment. In short order we learned it was a blessing in close quarter firefights. That is similar to the transition from 45 to 9. I have a lightweight and extremely accurate gun, an exceptionally lethal round and I can carry more ammo in the the space that 45 ACP would take up.

For those who want to recite the fact that elements of the military are going back to 45 ACP I remind you that they are also burning 9mm Glocks. Keep in mind that the limitation to ball ammo for the military means larger calibers have a wound cavity advantage. But if the rumors o hear are true, the military will adopt a modified FMJ round in 9mm that surpasses hollow point performance. The Underwood Xtreme Defender when you look at the bullet seems to be FMJ that has been fashioned for greater wound cavity performance which at end of a fight is why one wins.

In the 60s when Bob Dylan wrote "the times they are a changing" he was prescient. Well the times are changing for caliber and ammo selection now.

And Tommy as for the long range shooting you would be better off with smaller caliber and its higher muzzle velocity when compared to 45 ACP. You would also be better off with FMJ or a round like the Underwood Xtreme Defender because both have better long range dynamics than HPs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Allen,

You make a good point about carrying a lighter weight pistol especially having rotor cuff problems. I don't have that problem however the arthritis is sinking into my shoulders. It gets harder to pull on a sweatshirt or reaching around to put a jacket on and pulling the sleeves so it will fit. And absolutely, bullet placement is where it's at. Without proper placement you might as well throw a rock and get the same results. I do have a 9mm Colt combat (all steel) from the late 60's however I don't shoot it as much as I should. I should also say that I like the 1911 platform, and I think it was from our military training. Old habits die hard. If I could afford it, I would venture to say that I would like to own a SR1911 Ruger in 9mm. Though I have only read about the pistol, I have not been able to see one or even hold one in my hands. I have not tried the Extreme Defender round yet so I can't make a comment on how well they work for me. My every day carry round is the Hornady Critical Defense round which I have shot and done some testing. They have good mushrooming effect, holding most of the bullet in tact and penetration is good. I even recovered the plastic nose insert which was surprising. My only reservation, if you want to call it is, after a long day, the 1911 does become heavy, especially with our temps out here. I am of a slim build so I wear my T-shirts outside of my belt so you can't detect any imprint. It doesn't hurt to investigate other calibers and rounds with today's technology, so maybe it's something that I should do more investigation on. I can emphasize with you and your shoulder problems. I have a back problem so pistol weight does have a bearing on me. But again I must admit, I am very partial to the 1911 platform. I have had a couple of Glocks and was totally unhappy with them. Although lighter to carry, I just didn't have the confidence in them that I desired. With my 1911, I also carry a extra round holster. I am not looking for a firefight, I am looking at deterrence and if possible, escape from a bad situation. Of course you realize that this is just my opinion and I neither condemn nor condone other lines of thought.

With all my regards and sincerity,

Tommy

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tommy, I ain't suggesting you get another gun -you have just about all you need - but maybe you ought to check out the CZ 'platform', and/or its clones. Y'know, that famous 1911 guy said that the CZ75 design might be the best handgun ever, if it was made in 45 auto. Well, nowadays it is. DA/SA with an easily accessible thumb safety; carry it in any 'condition' that pleases you. The 9x19 version is pretty good too.

17. allenr

allenr Member

Tommy,

It is perfectly valid opinion and each of us must make such determinations on our own.

Like you, I see the deterrence value of carrying. Still the ultimate demand is made deterrence fails. That is when accuracy with a killer round is critical. Understanding that and having full awareness of my physical limitations is what brought me to the Lc9s and Underwood ammo. For me it is the best combo I can carry.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Allen

18. louchia

louchia Member

I recently read on Military.com that some Marines and Army units are to use Glock 19. Also there is talk of using HP rounds. The US has never signed the agreement to not use HP.
    Improvements in HP ammo close the gap between 9mm and 45mm.

19. allenr

allenr Member

Don't know about the Army but the Glock in 9mm will replace the Beretta. I am not sure what Glock model was chosen but you can almost certainly assume the Corps will ask for some modifications based upon its own armorers testing.