Ruger LC9s Pro Ammo Recommendations

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by rgrjr, Aug 27, 2016.

1. rgrjr

rgrjr New Member

Have used a variety of ammo. Using Winchester, the gun jammed constantly.

The gun has done well with Blazer ammo and Independence brand ammos. no jams when Im shooting with these brands

However, I Was letting my friend shoot the gun and the Blazer jammed on him many times, but doesn't jam with me. I guess he wasn't holding the gun correctly..?

Any other recommendations on ammo or proper way to hold gun?

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My 9s hasn't jammed with anything. I think most factory ammo is good to go. Is it FTF or FTE?

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

When holding the weapon, push forward with the arm holding it and pull back with the supporting arm locking it into a stable platform.;)

4. rgrjr

rgrjr New Member

Thanks, makes sense

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Avoid the cheap fodder. Good ammo should certainly shoot and function. Issues starts hen the cheap (often reman ammo) is used just to save a dollar. Practice with what you intend to use and be sure that choice gives consistent reliability.

6. rgrjr

rgrjr New Member

What would be considered good ammo, I've used $12 per box ammo up to $25 per box ammo and some of the cheaper stuff like independence works great! Winchester is a joke and fails all the time

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Winchester used to be my go to ammo for all of my guns. Not so much any more.
    I've found a few defective rounds from Win lately.

A good gun should work with ANY factory ammo as long as the individual round is not defective.
    I'd be talking to Ruger about it, but I'm kinda picky so there is that.

Federal Premium ammo might be worth a try.....

8. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Maybe better info as to what a "jam" entails would help.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

What Oldhand was saying in post #3 may be about "limp wristing". Doing that makes the slide sometimes fail to cycle completely back in recoil.

10. Tamlibtoim

Tamlibtoim New Member

I just recently used Rugers new polymer ARX ammo. 80 gr +p. It runs great in the LC9s with considerably less felt recoil and superb accuracy. I am switching to this for my carry ammunition.

11. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

I use 115gr. Blazer Brass for target/practice rounds, and 115gr. Critical Def. for my carry load. I believe in carrying the same gr. for practice as I do for carry. I do love my LC9s Pro for carry, the slim grip profile really is a plus. I got in a discussion with two of my shooting friends about carrying "hot," without a safety to which I replied "1., the second it takes to slip it off safety, takes a second off ones survival. 2., I'm the only one touching it, and guns don't go off by themselves."

12. allenr

allenr Member

I use Underwood 90g +P Xtreme Defender with my Lc9s.
    No problems at all. The bullet design allows the 9g +P load with excellent accuracy and penetration. Good reviews on YouTube.