Ruger LC9 Magazine problems

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by DanielC, Oct 9, 2014.

1. DanielC

DanielC New Member

I recently purchased an LC9 (non-"S") on sale from my local LGS, and while I'm really liking the gun, there is one problem that I'm having.

With a fully loaded mag, the rim of the top round hooks in the groove in the next round, causing the top round to "nose-dive" into the bottom lip of the feed ramp. I found a video on youtube that better explains what I'm experiencing. This is not my video, but it explains the problem very thoroughly.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIZTVfIuGgM[/ame]

I have three mags, a factory Ruger made in Italy, a factory Ruger made in USA, and a Pro Mag. The problem exists with all three. Sometimes if I slingshot the slide hard enough it will feed, and then the gun runs through the mag without issue. The problem only exists on the first couple of rounds in the mag, and only when hand-racking the slide. Also, FMJ feeds just fine, likely because there is no flat nose to hang up on the ramp. It has happened with every flavor of JHP's I've tried in it.

I plan to contact Ruger next, but I thought I'd throw this out to all of you experienced, intelligent folks to see if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if anyone could suggest a possible fix. It seems to be a fairly common issue, according to the forums and youtube, but apparently not common enough for Ruger to fix the problem and offer a new version of the magazine.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone has questions or would like further clarification, let me know!

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I haven't seen it before. My LC9 would drop the mag under recoil sometimes. My local gunsmith tweaked the mags and fixed it. Is your mag tight in the well? Maybe things are just a bit out of spec?

3. DanielC

DanielC New Member

Yes, the mags fit beautifully in the mag well. Haven't had any issues with it dropping the mags, they stay tight, right where they belong.

I am awaiting a call from a gunsmith at Ruger. I emailed them, and CS said they didn't have an answer for me, so they passed my information on to a tech.

4. DanielC

DanielC New Member

Just a quick update for those who are interested, I received my LC9 back from Ruger yesterday, (after only 8 days, shipping included mind you) and according to the enclosed document, all they did was replace the barrel. Problem solved. The mags still have the same "issue" that I talked about in my original post, but the rounds chamber now without issue. The barrels appear to be the same, though I obviously don't have the original to compare closely. Whatever they did, it fixed the problem and it now feeds perfectly. No wonder I love my Rugers so much. Not only are they super high quality guns, but their customer service is top notch!

5. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Glad Ruger fixed it for you. Guess the ramp must have been a bit off kilter, no? In any case it sounds like you've got yourself a winner now. I just traded my LC9 in on a new LC9 - S and it's everything that was good about the original, but the trigger is so much better...Love the gun!

6. DanielC

DanielC New Member

I suspect this is exactly the case. Maybe the angle of the feed ramp was off or something. It didn't appear to be damaged at all, but who knows. Maybe it slipped from the grips of the mill during machining.

I ordered the 20lb springs and stainless steel guide rod from Galloway yesterday. Probably the only modifications I will make to this gun. I have to admit that the LC9-S has caught my eye, and may find its way into my Ruger collection very soon. :)

7. fuzfire

fuzfire New Member

I'm having the same problem with my new LC9 S Pro model. I love love the gun but the round not feeding into the chamber the first round has me a little bit leery.

8. DanielC

DanielC New Member

Shoot an email to Ruger and explain the problem. They sent me a shipping label to return my gun to them, they replaced the barrel and had it back in my hands 8 days later. No charge whatsoever, not even shipping.

It now eats any round I feed it. Hasn't misfed or misfired since I got it back. All of those stories of praise about Ruger's customer service team are true. Couldn't be happier with my experience. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  9. ajollyman

ajollyman New Member

Fuzfire, I was wondering what happens when you hand operate the slide? Does it pick up the next round, feed and eject properly? I just bought a new LC9 pro yesterday and have not had an opportunity to try it (weather), but it does hand cycle properly?