Ruger fixed the LCP

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by greg_r, Oct 23, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Back when I decided I wanted a pocket 380. I looked at the LCP and the TCP. I picked the TCP. Why?

1. Better trigger
    2. Last round slide hold open
    3. Handled recoil better
    4. Better sights
    5. It looked better

I'm happy to say that Ruger fixed the problems with the LCP II. It now has:
    1. A better trigger
    2. Last round hold open
    3. Added thickness to the grip, so it handles recoil better
    4. Better sights
    5. The jury is still out on better looking, but it kind of grows on you.

One issue I had with the TCP was it would occasionally lock open with rounds still in the magazine. I believe my thumb was hitting the slide catch during recoil. The slide catch is not near the thumb on the Ruger so this can not be a problem. Just wish the LCP II came with 2 magazines (or 3 :D)

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

So when you have time to get to a range with the LCPII ,

let us know if you really like it..:);)

Jim

3. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Already had it to the range. It's all that and a bag of chips! :D

I traded/sold my Sig Sauer P938-22 to the LGS. I got the LCP II and used the rest as a down payment on a Ruger American Pistol in 9mm.

4. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

My very first autoloader was a 380.

The HK4 .. my favorite little pocket gun. Still have it.

I hardly shoot 380 in it anymore because the recoil buffers available for the gun now only last a few hundred rounds or so using 380 and HK doesn't supply them anymore.

So I usually only shoot 22lr with it.

Love that little gun.

Guy at the range offered me a Desert Eagle straight up trade for it one time. I was so tempted, but darn if that little HK4 just has too much sentimental value.

Doc

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey Doc my first auto-loader was a Llama .380 ACP. Looked like a baby 1911.

That thing never worked. I took it back to the place I bought it so they could send it in for repair.
    After about SIX months they gave me a refund.

Next was a Beretta 84. That one never failed over a 30 year period. Probably should have kept it.
    When Colt came out with the Mustang .380 I got one for my 'deep cover' gun.
    Then collectors went crazy for those things so I sold out of the .380 caliber. (At a huge profit)!

For some unknown reason I like the little .380 caliber.
    Now you guys got me thinking about a LCP II. DANG, my want list is getting longer every day.....

6. louchia

louchia Member

Greg_r, looks like you still prefer the TCP. For me, I am not so concerned about gun being a good looker or in this case having better sights. In my opinion, it is only a SD tool. First thing to consider is a gun that is reliable, loads and goes bang every time. I see the LCP as solely a SD gun for close range. That's also the way I practice, one hand, close range, point and shoot. Sights are not needed or used. Mine is always IWB so looks are down the list of considerations. 2 mags would be nice.
    Do not mean to diminish your thoughts. This is just my humble opinion.

7. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I had a laugh about that, Louchia

I still have a little Raven 25 that I got for $40 new... shoot, I can't remember, think it was in '72.

I could only shoot it when I was the only one at the range because the only way to hit anything was to walk up to about 10 feet away. Useless part of the gun was the sights.

Doc

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Not at all. The new Ruger is heads and shoulders above the TCP. No gun, whether for social work or not, is interesting to me if it is not accurate. My normal range to practice is 21 feet, but I shoot some all the way out to 25 yards. The Ruger LCP II is up to the task. I can hit steel plates at the 25 yard with the Ruger easily, so far I have been 100%, albeit I have only shot out that far 2 magazines full. I attribute that to the sights and trigger. At 21 feet I can easily cover the groups with the palm of my hand.

That said, I will not knock the TCP. It has been reliable and at 21 feet, I shoot it well. Only a bit bigger groups than the LCP II. At the 25 yard line I am only a bit better than 50% on the plates. Of course I have shot at the plates many more times with the TCP. The sights on the TCP just look like a blob to me, works well at 21 feet, not so well at 25 yards. The long DAO trigger is the second issue I think. Smooth as butter, but it lacks that crisp break, and breaks back a little too far.

I made the LCP II my primary BUG this weekend. It has had 200 rounds of WWB, 100 rounds of Remington green and white, 50 rounds of PMC Bronze, 20 rounds of CCI Gold Dot, and 200 rounds of my hand loads through it, all without a bobble. But, I am keeping the TCP also.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  9. accutron

accutron New Member

Wife picked up a LCP II yesterday at a local show. $299 out the door. She is now going to retire her S&W Bodyguard. It has been causing issues lately. Light strikes and no hold open with the last round. Went back to S&W and they returned having replaced the firing pin and spring and put in a new mag catch. Went tp the range last Friday and the light strike issue if fixed but not it never locks open after the las round. Went back to S&W today. They tried to blame the mags but had to new ones and still ahd the issue.

Hope to get to the range later this week so the wife can test fire and hopefully get used to it as it will be her EDC.

10. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Hey Accutron,

If they replaced the slide stop and spring and you have new magazines and it is still not locking open after the last shot, and the frame or slide is not damaged then all that is left is user grip.

Have someone else shoot the gun.

If it is locking open then, you know the gun is being held wrong and the hand is impeding the slide stop mechanism.

If it is still not locking open, then you need to insist that S&W replicate the malfunction.

Because that problem only has those causes. Defective slide stop, defective slide stop spring, defective magazine, bent/damaged frame, bent/damaged slide, and/or user grip error.

Doc

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  11. accutron

accutron New Member

It is in route to S&W. As far as slide lock issue, it worked when new but then it would not lock back about 50% of the time. Now after being at S&W, it never locks back after the last round. Wife and I both shot it being careful not to bump the slide lock and it still does it. We have a number of hand guns and this is the only one with the issue. Be interesting to see how the LCP II performs Friday.