Ruger female CCW assistance

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by striker9mil, May 26, 2018.

1. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

So it finally happened....

My wife is considering concealed carry as part of her lifestyle. However, her requirements/“likes” seem to be a little picky. Is there anyone that could help me with providing ideas on how a petite female can conceal carry a 9mm Ruger American Pistol compact? What are some of the carry methods that your wives and girlfriends use in carrying a double stack pistol?

After taking her to the range she told me that she really likes my full size Ruger American Pistol. It’s the only pistol, besides the 1911, that she can easily operate, such as racking back the slide, while handling the recoil enough out of a polymer framed striker. She loves my full size 9mm Rock Island Armory 1911 the most but she understands it will be close to impossible carrying that option on a daily basis. The American Pistol compact also grabs her attention because of the easy take down process of the platform. Having an easy take down process will help motivate her to take better care of her pistol. Plus, she is satisfied with how successful I have concealed my American compact, which is why she wants us to buy a second one for herself. The only problem is, obviously, my wife is a LOT smaller than me.

Unfortunately, another reason why it must be the American compact is because she is also recoil sensitive so single stacked .380s and 9mms are not being considered at this time, due to increased recoil out of a smaller pistol. She prefers to stick with the 9mm in order to save money by uniforming our pistol ammunition. She told me that she doesn’t want to take the time learning about multiple calibers. 9mm is what she knows best in pistols and that she wants to stick with it in order to keep everything as simple as possible.

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

If she carries the American:

Clothing layers will be her friend. Any gun can be carried either in a shoulder rig or on the waist, with a t shirt under and unbuttoned shirt over the gun. May not be practical in warmer weather though...

If she carries a purse, she can use it for the gun. Security can be a problem. (Always have to be aware of the purse's location, are there any kids trying to get into it, etc.)

Hope that helps.

striker9mil likes this.

3. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

Thank you!

4. Sky1

Sky1 New Member

My wife tried a number of guns and likes the 44 Magnum Redhawk long barrel, the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 38 revolver and my Sig P238. She did not like the 9mm because of the recoil. But there is new lightweight loads now that can do some serious damage in both 9mm and 380. If she does not like the recoil, try a lighter load not a heavier gun that she will not want to carry.

louchia and striker9mil like this.
  5. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

She is interested in the 9mm Springfield XDS at the moment. What lighter load would you recommend?

6. Sky1

Sky1 New Member

For the range, Blazer Brass 115 gr, it is like $10/box and are rather easy to shoot
    just ask for low pressure rounds at the store. Critical Defense would make a nice carry round for her

Springfield is nice, she will like the front sight.

striker9mil and louchia like this.
  7. louchia

louchia Member

Have you tried looking to web sits that cater to women? The Well Armed Women is one that might help.

striker9mil likes this.
  8. Sky1

Sky1 New Member

Be sure to at least check out the Glock 43 and the Sig P365 before you buy.

striker9mil likes this.
  9. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

We actually already did. Unfortunately she didn’t like either one. I was hoping that she would like the Sig but she didn’t like how it felt.

Thank you for your advice on the low pressure loads!

10. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

Thanks for letting me know about that site! I didn’t even know about it

11. Sky1

Sky1 New Member

Make sure you get the latest generation of the Springfield, the grips are different (less knobby) on the new version.

striker9mil likes this.
  12. striker9mil

striker9mil New Member

I would love to get the XDS Mod 2 but unfortunately at this time the XDS mod 2 is only available in .45. I thought that was odd that they released the .45 first since all evidence shows that 9mm is more popular in sales so I’m still waiting. Nothing against .45. It’s a good caliber but 9mm sales more.

13. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Once my wife got her CCW permit, I bought her a Walther PPK-S .380. She didn't like it, too loud. Then she tried a Ruger SR 22. She can get pretty mean when four-legged critters like raccoons dig around in her flower beds and she can ventilate those rascals easily and have a "snack" afterward, but I gotta wonder if she ever encounters a two-legged varmint, God forbid, how she will perform. I try to tell her that bad guys don't like flower beds either:

[​IMG]