Ruger Cylinder

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Skeet, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Skeet

Skeet New Member

New to this forum and have a question. I like the Ruger Single Actions. I recently got a bunch of stuff at an auction Vaquero in 45 Colt and included in one of the boxes was a Stainless cylinder for a BlackHawk I think. Caliber is what messes with my mind. It is not a 357 and not a 41... 40 S&W falls into the cylinder and I don't have any 10MM.. But am pretty certain it is for 10mm. 40 is just too short. Oh and it does fit momma's 45 Blackhawk convertible. Did Ruger make a revolver in 10MM? or some convertible Cylinder has been shot but not much. Kinda at a loss!

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Far as I know, no SA revolver in 10MM. There have been 10MM gunsmith conversions, rumor says. Have you tried a .40 bullet in the barrel? (Pull one from a cartridge if necessary.)

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Could it be for 9mm and it just needs moon clips? Just to clarify, this cylinder is NOT for your .45 Vaquero, right?

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The cylinder fits his mother's Blackhawk - means (I think) it doesn't need moon clips. the cartridge - whatever it is - should locate on the case mouth.

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

There were some stainless Vaquero's made chambered for the .40 S&W. Made for the San Diego Sheriff's Association in 2000. There were also some produced as convertibles with .38-40 and .40 S&W cylinders. There were 10mm cylinders made for a Blackhawk model but I do believe those were blued still and not stainless.

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Oh, you're right. Forgot that's how it worked with the Blackhawk

7. Skeet

Skeet New Member

Sorry fellows. The cylinder IS stainless and does fit in the 45 Colt convertible my WIFE has. It is definitely not a 9mm and it does have a ridge in the cylinder for the case mouth to headspace on. For the life of me I cannot find a 10 MM case in the 1000s of cases I have here. A Berry's plated 10mm bullet I have?? is a tight fit in the cylinder throat allowing me to push it out with a bit of effort. Doing a little research today I came upon a reference to a 10mm Ruger SA with an extra 38-40 cylinder as a convertible. Maybe a Lipsey's special order?? I am originally from back east and while I did a lot of gun work etc it was all shotgun stuff except for a little S&W trigger work etc. So other than a Single Six or two and a couple early flattops never messed with Ruger handguns. Other than a very slight drag line and very light fouling on the end of the cylinder it is essentially as like new. No wear on the ratchets at all. A 10mm with a spare cylinder in 38-40 would be a lot of fun. Only 38-40 I have is an old 73 Winchester in pretty good condition but I won't shoot the ol thing.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Was just gonna say maybe an old cowboy loading...