Ruger Blackhawk Vaquero

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by rokhedjo, Jan 22, 2013.

1. rokhedjo

rokhedjo New Member

Why is my Vaquero so inaccurate? I cannot hit the broad side of a barn with it? I love the gun, but man! I am pretty handy normally with a pistol .:mad:

2. twinstwo

twinstwo New Member

I have one also, love the gun but same with me I can't hit the side of a barn.

3. JimA

JimA New Member

I don't have a Vaquero, just Blackhawks, but I'm wondering what caliber, what loads? Are you not hitting point of aim or just all over the place? Do you shoot OK with other single action revolvers? Lots of Questions, I know.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

When I first got my Vaquero, same thing.

You have to experiment...like I did. The fixed sights are the problem...as well as your shooting "style"

you have to find a load that will shoot POA / POI ( Point of Aim / Point of Impact ) for your gun

I bought six boxes of .357 magnum, six boxes of .38 special...all different factory brands and went to work.

Me telling you my POA / POI loads will not help...as with every gun with fixed sights,

it's how you sight your target ( target picture ), trigger control, grip...everything.

Same thing with my Colt SAA...had to find a load that would hit where I aimed. Once you do....:D

BTW...wanna know why they make those front sight so tall...?!

So that you can file 'em down. ( Now, that's a whole 'nother story !! )

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Verrry often ppl point the finger at the gun first and never consider the person behind the trigger. It's not a simple ammo, A, gun B and shooter C and have it equate to magic. Gotta find consistency for the shooter first, the technique used is paramount in importance. Proper grip, hold, trigger control...
    Then try various ammo to see what shoots best in your gun.

6. rokhedjo

rokhedjo New Member

I fixed the problem, I traded it for a single six.

7. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

That's not fixing the problem, that's avoiding it. :p Any results with the Single Six yet?

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Wow...that's a different approach !! :D

9. rokhedjo

rokhedjo New Member

I've wanted a single six for awhile, this was just good timing :) My wife wouldn't shoot the .44, and I didn't shoot it much either, I didn't have anything in a .22 magnum , It worked out .

10. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Win - win on a couple levels then. Makes for a better end result. :)

11. ruddy

ruddy New Member

I have two in .44 Mag with 5 1/2" barrels for CAS. I find both of them to be very accurate with my .44 Special handload using Unique powder and 240 gr. semi-wadcutter lead bullets. You may have to experiment to discover what it likes, just like most other guns.