Ruger Blackhawk model 0316 blued 6.5"

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by DYSMAN78, Aug 9, 2018.

1. DYSMAN78

DYSMAN78 New Member

thinking that this one may be my next acquisition. i'm not at the stage where i know enough to appreciate the older models (such as pre-transfer bar such as three screw Rugers). Anyone out there have this model and care to share their thoughts. Anyone prefer other Blackhawk models to this one? I'm sticking to 357 for now as i hate to add too many calibers to my collection.

67stingray likes this.
  2. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

I have one in stainless. It's one of the most accurate handguns I have ever fired.

The barrel may be a little long for "handiness", as in backpack carry, but it's great for hunting.

DYSMAN78 and 67stingray like this.

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well, you can't have just one... DSCN1273.JPG DSCN2677.JPG

DYSMAN78, 67stingray and Armybrat60 like this.
  4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I'm not too fond of the plastic grip panels they're putting on the blued models these days.
    There is a grip maker from AZ selling real nice wood grips on eBay, tons of types.
    My stainless Flat Top Convertible (4.5/8" barrel) came with some way too thin wood grips.
    I replaced them with some nice thick Aged Oak Laminates... Fits the hand well.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    DYSMAN78, 67stingray and Armybrat60 like this.
  5. armbruse

armbruse Member

I have the 45 Colt 7" barrel, and enjoy. Just don't shoot alot due to the cost of ammo (depending on where I go, $30 to $40 for fifty rounds)

6. Armybrat60

Armybrat60 New Member

I put these grips on my Bisley 44mag because of the size of the factory grips. May not look as good but they’re better for large hands.
    IMG_1262.jpg

67stingray likes this.
  7. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Really nice looking revolvers guys. I've been customizing my New Model. 41 Mag BH to make it my own, added a stainless steel grip fame and other accessories to it, have a stainless extractor rod housing coming tomorrow for it. I had made a set of grips for it but with the pinto look they just didn't seem right so I got a set of faux stag grips for it. They look like the real thing and that works for me at a fraction of the cost. My advice to you Dysman is go ahead and get you one, you'll enjoy it and can modify it without worrying about originality like the old models. 41 Mag NM Blackhawk #2.jpg

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I went cheap with mods on my old 6.5" 357. (Well, more like a way to freshen it up).
    It has an alloy grip frame and ejector rod housing. I shot it so much over several decades that the bluing was pretty much gone from the grip frame so I had a guy that does Cerakote blast the finish off the alloy parts.
    A 40 oz trigger return spring went in it long ago, $25 for good as new grips from eBay at finish blast time and it's a pinto.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Thoughts?
    You can't wear it out cause it's built like a tank. The more you shoot it the better the trigger gets.

Other models? Tough call.
    You might consider a convertible so you can shoot nines in it, not that that's really needed.
    The Flat Top models use an ever so slightly different grip frame. You might want to handle both models to see what you like best. I like both so...

Other than that, I got nothing. :D

DYSMAN78 likes this.
  10. Davidio

Davidio New Member

I picked up one of these a few months ago. It is very accurate and shoots amazing. I definitely needs to get new grips as the plastic ones are trash in my opinion. Anyone know who makes a good quality wood grip for this model?

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Arizona Custom Grips
    The grips on my stainless convertible came from Arizona Custom Grips.
    You can get any type you want. They come with "fitting" instructions. Very happy with them.

12. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

That's quite a chunk of wood on that SBH.......WOW!

13. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Still have one of 4 SBHs I had back in the late 70s and early 80s. Never modified them much, other than putting rubber grips on them for controlling heavy handloads.

Have one .41 mag in 4 5/8" BH left Used it more than anything else. The Supers were just oo heavy to pack around and ya couldn't get a short SBH back then unless ya had it modified, which I could not afford. The 6.5" one didn't get used much, so I sold it. The short .41 mag was more accurate than all but one of the SBhs.

I had a few .357s, mostly 6.5" guns. Last one was a late 3 screw. Got a good chunk for that one. The short ones were better for packing, but I always used the .41 instead, so I never kept the Blackhawk .357s. Instead, I preferred the Security Six .357s. Still have one old blue Speed Six with the short 2 3/4" barrel.