Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertable

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by trustingman62, Jul 15, 2016.

1. trustingman62

trustingman62 New Member

I just got a .45 acp cylinder for my Blackhawk.45. It fits perfect and the timing is perfect too. I reload all my ammo for every firearm I own except rim fire. I reload my .45 Colt loads to the "Ruger only" data, can I reload my acp loads to 460 Rowland data using .45 Super brass?

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I don't load 45 auto but I do have a question about the extra cylinder for your Blackhawk.
    Did you have to send the gun to Ruger for them to make the cylinder?
    Thanks,
    Mag

3. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

The person you need to talk to is this

Garey Hindman 936-402-3484. He is the EXPERT on 45 Super modifications/conversions and does the conversions for a living.

Doc

4. gr8yt

gr8yt New Member

Just went thru this with Ruger CS. They will absolutely not fit a cylinder into a gun that didn't ship with a like cylinder originally. :(

5. PackinPreacher

PackinPreacher New Member

Congratulations! Had one that came that way several years ago and it worked fine. Hope that yours serves you well.

6. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Used to be they wouldn't do any work that resulted in the end product being a non-cataloged variation. Have heard more than one say they won't do any variation changing work at all now. Kina makes sense - they're a manufacturer not a custom shop.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Below is an email I sent Ruger along with their reply:
    It's understandable that they would not quote a price without seeing the revolver but I would like some idea before sending my gun to them.

From Ruger; my question first.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 07/26/2016
    Comment / question:
    I have a New Model Blackhawk in .357 Magnum I bought new in the late 1970's.
    It's in Excellent condition.
    The manual that came with it mentions the option of having a 9mm cylinder made for this gun.
    Do you still offer this service? If so what is the cost and will you need to have the gun in order to make the 9mm cylinder?
    Thanks,

Response:
    The cylinder is a factory fitted item and can’t be sold to anyone; it needs to be installed by our technicians at the factory. The actual cost will be determined after the firearm has been evaluated; someone will contact you with an estimate before any repairs are done. Please contact us at 336-949-5200 to have an RMA number issued. Have the serial number handy when calling. Thank you for your email.

Question:
    trustingman62 (or anyone that knows) How much did did Ruger charge for making/fitting an extra cylinder for the Blackhawk?
    Thanks to anyone that can answer.
    Mag

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^I'll be very curious as this is something I would like to have done with my blackhawk as well