Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a Revolver shooter and like short barrels 4.5/8 is just right . I am thinking of having a Stainless Super Blackhawk 44 Mag 7.1/2 cut to 4.5/8 .
The gun is an older Super Blackhawk with the recoil Lug in the barrel and only made for a short time . Condition is very good almost to nice to cut .

Ruger does not offer a 4.5/8 44 Mag Single Action large Grip Frame .
I really hate to change this one as it is nice round count very low .

Question is CUT OR NOT

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
NOT!
Cut up a gun in poor condition or one that will not be a collector item in the future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buster40c
I see your point but why would I shoot a junk gun ? I am looking for a gun to shoot a lot and need to start with a good gun .

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
There is a difference between a junk gun and a gun that just has been a safe queen because it is a rare gun. It's your gun so only person you need to listen to is yourself.
I agree with Magnum in I would also like to see a pic of the gun.
In the old days people would take a Harley dresser and make a chopper out of it. I was one of them. People today think how could you have done that to a Harley. To each his own as to what he likes. I imagine a stock 57 panhead Harley is worth more than one that was modified into a chopper, but I would like to have my 57 chopper back.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I did the same thing with Knuckleheads as Buster did with his panheads. I was one of the first to make a knucklehead chopper in my area. Now people ask me how could I be so stupid! At the time, it was the thing to do and it was different. We built our bikes to suit OUR tastes and not someones elses. It would be a shame to cut your pistol however it's YOUR pistol so you have to make that decision. Kind of like buying a car to fix up and flip for a profit. I never made a dime doing that even if I paid myself .10 cents per hour. You do it because you WANT-not because of what someone else thinks. Years ago I took a Remington 572BDL and shortened the stock 2" and the barrel 2". My son and daughter starting shooting and I wanted a rifle they could shoot when they were young. I am selling the rifle now as it has served it's purpose. Was it a good thing to do? Back then yes but for resale the answer is no. If you want to shoot the pistol and you feel better with a shorter barrel then I would do so. If you are just going to look at it and hopefully someday you want to leave it as an heirloom, then you will loose. Personally I try to shoot all my guns however with my age and health I can't so they will be heirlooms. I just hope they appreciate them. Same goes for you!

Tommy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thank all the people that responded to the question .

All my firearms get used a lot but well cared for . The thing is I am getting old i do not have time to be a collector nor do i went to be . I have a son that has the same passion and love of firearms as i do . He is building a life for his family so buying guns is low on the need list . I have a lot of Handguns mostly Ruger . My first love is the 44 Mag and own 7 or 8 all revolvers and shoot them a bunch . The Stainless i am thinking of cutting down is really not a favorite nice piece but just a gun to shoot . It will be going to my Smith next week for a make over .

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
As long as you are satisfied that really is all that matters.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just to let you know I do have a Ruger Collector ?
This is a Ruger Super Blackhawk TOMAHAWK .
This is an unfired gun made for the Ruger Collectors Ass.
190 This was made in 1976 and is number 8 .
This is a 4.5/8 barrel in blue done for Ruger by Mag-N-Port

1 - 9 of 9 Posts