Ruger balckhawk review

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by SavageGuy, Feb 19, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hi all I am considering a 6.5" Blackhawk chambered in .357 mag. Please post a review of your Blackhawk here. Particularly looking for reports of the accuracy out the 50 yds as I intend to whitetail hunt with it. If you have any other suggestions besides the Blackhawk that would also be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    SavageGuy

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

3. phideaux

I found this post from our friend Shooter13,

Three Screw and a Flat Top...don't get much better!!

=========================================

[​IMG] This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 939x421.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 939x421.
    [​IMG]

Ruger’s 1st center fire single action revolver, the new “Blackhawk” .357 Magnum, debuted in 1955...

In 1959, 6-1/2” and 10” barrels were introduced. Some variations of these two barrel lengths were made in low numbers and created some very scarce and rare collectible guns today.

Walnut grip panels became the standard in 1960's...before that, stag and even ivory could be ordered.

The left side of the 3-screw cylinder frame was roll marked “RUGER .357 CAL. BLACKHAWK”. Of course in addition to the .357 Magnum cartridge, the .38 Special cartridge could be fired in the revolver, adding to its versatility.

The grip frame was redesigned in 1963 (marked XR3-RED). There is no "Transfer Bar" safety...

Due to the “flat” design of the cylinder frame’s top strap, these guns became known as “Flat Tops”.

Around 42,000 of these fine single action .357 Blackhawk “Flat Tops” were produced during its eight year life span of 1955 to 1962, when production ceased.

Many of these .357 “Flat Tops” have red, cherry, or plum colored cylinder frames, loading gates, triggers, and/or other parts. It is thought that this discoloration was due to the make-up of the molten metal used in the casting or molding process. The metal apparently reacted with the bluing solution during the bluing process, resulting in these various colors or tints. Some of these “discolored” guns are absolutely beautiful and highly desired by the serious collector.

An NRA Excellent example of this vintage firearms' worth can be subjective and will vary due to condition and market demand...but I've seen them in the $650 range.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Here's one I've been shooting for well over three decades. It still shoots better than I do.
    The Wolf 40oz trigger return spring I put in it made it easier to hold still while pressing the trigger.

I target test my loads at 50 yd's. It is not picky about what it will shoot well. Win & Fed factory ammo have proven accurate also.
    For magnum loads I use Win 296 or Hodgdon H110 depending on what I can find on the shelf.
    Never have shot a deer with it but it kills cans and paper quite well. ;)

Attached Files:

5. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Sweet looking gun you have there. Have you tried hunting deer with it very often

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Thanks for replying, very nice looking gun you have there. When testing handloads at 50 yards, what do you consider an acceptable group size to be?

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

No gumpy I always chicken out and take a rifle. I horse traded for a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk thinking I would hunt with it.
    To be honest it was just an excuse to get another gun cause I still chicken out and take a rifle. But I do bring one or the other along just in case......
    Or at least I did when I wanted to drag em out of the woods. These days it's a lot less work to just drive to the grocery store. :cheesy:

The only serious handgun hunting I've ever done is squirrel hunting with my Single Six. And I've actually brought home meat using that little .22LR.

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well, you got to consider the fact that I just ain't that good of a shot when we talk about accuracy. Like I said it shoots better than me.

And the older I get.......

I use a 2.5" black dot on white paper at 50yd's. If I get about 2~3 in the dot and the other 3~4 all around it that is as good as I can possibly do.
    Group size? Somewhere around 5"~7" at 50yd just tickles me pink. And I have to be feeling good and in the zone to do that well.
    Most of the time I DON'T do that well. So I have to shoot a BUNCH to determine if the load is accurate enough. I can tell when I shoot enough.
    Most of the time I can tell when I let off a good shot. That tells me more than group size.

One time I got all six in the dot using my Single Six .22LR.
    I would have taken that target home but I had drawn it on a new backstop that didn't have any holes in it so I was saving paper, DANG IT!

Of course I'm shooting off sand bags supporting my hands only, no support on the barrel.

I would say don't worry to much about group size, just try to know when you let off a good shot. If "good ones" keep going wild, try some other combo.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  10. phideaux

oooooooooo, I want to see it with the VX3 on it.

That will be a nice setup for hunting.

Jim

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Which cost more, the Blackhawk or the scope?! Looks pretty sweet!

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

The scope would cost way more...twice as much as the RNMSB.

Range report after I get the scope and go hunting with it...

In the hills and valleys of upstate Pennsylvania...where the longest unobstructed shot from a stand with a shooting stick on a deer, black bear, coyote...might be 30-50 yards tops...I think this gun and scope...and a good hunt tested load like Buffalo Bore Heavy 270 grain JFN with a muzzle velocity of 1450 fps and muzzle energy of 1260 ft lbs would drop anyone of those with authority.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Anyone have anything else on the Blackhawk? Jim, I know you probably have at least 17 of them.......

15. phideaux

All I can tell ya is ...they are the best built SAA handguns that I know of,

You will never go wrong owning any of the Blackhawks, or Redhawks.

aaaaannnnndddd, take care of it , it will be there for your great grandkids, and be worth more than you pay for it.:cool:

Cant say that about all makes.

I hope to pass my latest addition to my grand sons...

100_5611 - Copy.jpg

Jim