Ruger AR556 first impressions

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Jewell, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jewell

Jewell New Member

I happened to come across a Ruger AR556 yesterday for what I thought was a decent price at $599.99.

I was actually somewhat looking for a truck gun, so I picked it up. Before buying, I looked it over.

Right off the bat I noticed that the castle nut wasn't staked. That's really not much of an issue b/c that's something I can do it myself.

Next, I wanted to take a look under the hood. The take down pins were a bit of a bear to get pushed out, but I looked at the the bcg, and everything seemed to look gtg.

Once I got home, I broke everything down and noticed something. Apparently I didn't get the exact same Ruger that I looked over at the time of purchase.

The one I boughts gas key was not staked at all. I do happen to have an extra (BCM) bcg I can throw in there for the time being.

I contacted Ruger about the issue, and they had me email them some pictures of the bcg.

I've never personally dealt with Rugers customer support, but after all the positive things I've heard, I have full confidence they will take care of this.

Anyhow...has anyone else ran into this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Damn criminal if ya ask me...Caveat emptor

3. Jewell

Jewell New Member

It's definitely disappointing that I didn't get the exact one I looked at, but s*** happens, and I have no doubt Ruger will take care of it.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I sure do hope so...Keep us in the loop Marine !!

5. Jewell

Jewell New Member

Absolutely. I'll post on here once it all gets solved...but damn, I just want to go shoot the thing.

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Ruger will take care of it for you. That would be a safe bet.

7. Jewell

Jewell New Member

No word yet from Ruger so far this week...

8. Jewell

Jewell New Member

So I was contacted by Ruger yesterday. The good news is that they will fix the issue. The bad news is that they want the whole rifle sent to them.

9. Jewell

Jewell New Member

Here's a quick update. Everything is gtg now. Ruger took care of everything. I asked why I needed to send the whole rifle in, and was told for test fire and inspection.

10. hodge

hodge New Member

I hate sending a gun in, but I do like the thorough, professional customer service that Ruger gives. Glad that you've been taken care of.

11. Jewell

Jewell New Member

I forgot to mention this way back when, but I think it's worth noting. The fasteners for the gas key are Taiwanese fasteners. YFS. Kind of disappointed.

12. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

I know, I'm digging up a fossil of a thread. But, how did you find out the gas key fasteners were Taiwanese?

survivaladvisor likes this.
  13. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

That’s a bummer, man. I did not have this issue with mine and I think you’ll find that once you’re squared away with it that’s it’s a lot of rifle for the money. The guns are well put together and very accurate for a 16 inch barrel imho. Enjoy!

survivaladvisor and RugerNut like this.