Ruger Talk Forums banner

Ruger American Rimfire Compact ammo test

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  buster40c 
#1 ·
A couple of months ago, I decided to test several different brands of .22 LR in my Ruger American Rimfire Compact. I tested from a Caldwell rest, with a toe bag, at the NRA Headquarters (indoor) range in Fairfax, VA, at 50 yards. The scope is a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire. Groups were scanned and analyzed using OnTarget PC.

Here are the results. Numbers are for legitmate 5-shot groups (NO excluded flyers!) at 50 yards, in MOA (divide by approximately half to get inches):

Aguila Super Extra: best 0.799; average 1.712; worst 2.443
Eley Tenex: best 0.983; average 1.166; worst 1.481
SK Rifle Match: best 1.268; average 2.01; worst 3.416
Federal Hunter Match: best .918; average 2.117; worst 4.7

Not surprisingly, Eley Tenex far out-performed the others. But it's also $24.49 for a box of 50, compared to $6.49 for Federal Hunter Match, $9.99 for SK Rifle Match, and $2.99 for Aguila Super Extra. Heck, the Tenex is almost ten times the price of the Aguila! The best value, by far, is the Aguila Super Extra, which is what I'll be stocking up on.

I'm including a picture of my best group using Aguila Super Extra 40 grain copper plated: 0.418-inch, 0.799 MOA group. That's sub-MOA accuracy from an unmodified out-of-the-box $300 rifle and $130 scope using non-match ammo.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I bought a brick of Aguila Super Extra when I bought my Ruger MK IV and it jammed during the top three no matter which magazine I used. I even tried this ammo in my Ruger MK II and it also jammed and different magazines made no difference. My MK II had never jammed no matter what ammo I used in it but it sure jammed using this Aguila Super Extra.

I haven't tried this ammo in my Ruger SR22. I figure this Super Extra will be used only in my revolvers. When this brick is gone I will not be buying any more of it. Even Thunder Dud never jammed my MK II and it doesn't jam my MK IV either.

The Aguila Super Extra I have are round solid nose lead bullet 40 gr. standard velocity.

#4 ·
buster40c, I'm not tried this particular Aguila load in my Mk III or Mk IV, or any other autoloader, so I may very well experience the same failures. The American Rimfire is a bolt action, so is more forgiving of ammunition quirks.

I bought my Mk IV recently, to use as a training gun for new pistol shooters, and right away I noticed some problems with it. Neither of the magazines included with the pistol will seat properly. The magazine release engages them, but disengages on the first round fired. It uses the same magazine as the Mk III, and my Mk III magazines work fine in it.

#5 ·
I also try a little .22 precision shooting once in a while,
I find it extremely relaxing, and exciting to try it at 100 yards.

My best has been Eley Match EPS, and Lapua Polar Biathlon .

I have tried several different brands and types .

I usually order my .22 target ammo from these folks, and have never had a problem...

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=CategoryItemListBody&c=APRA&pg=0

Jim

#6 ·
I tried the Super Extra in my Ruger sr22 and they fired off perfectly with no jams. The neighbor came over with his Walther ppk 22 and he was using Federal ammo that was shooting good at first but then they were not ejecting. He then tried my Super Plus ammo and they fired fine in his gun. Also loaded his Walther with Thunder Duds and they also fired perfectly in his gun. The thunder duds also work fine in my SR22, MKII and MKIV. For some reason my MK series do not like the Super Pluss 22lr.

Today was my first time firing the Walther ppk22 and I was not impressed with the trigger at all. The neighbor shot my SR22 and he liked it so much more than his Walther he now wants to get an SR22.

He really really liked shooting the MK II the most. He liked the angle of the grip, the trigger and weight of it. He also liked the MKIV but he liked the MK II the most. He shot all three of my Rugers better than his Walther. He was all over the target with his Walther. LOL He said he might try finding an MK II to buy also.

I had him shoot my Sig P226 9MM but he really didn't like it at all. He thought the recoil was way to much and didn't like how fat the grip felt. LOL He didn't like the recoil. He didn't even want to shoot any of my big boy calibers.

I showed him Hickok 45 video how not to shoot a revolver. He said he had no idea how the gap can possibly take off a finger.

We shot up almost a brick of 22lr today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.