Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting my first (real) hunting rifle. I have three semi auto rifles in 5.56. I want to get into hunting deer soon. I hear great reviews and nothing but positive remarks on the Ruger American. I have never shot a 308 or a 30-06. Which one would you guys suggest? And why.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Although I'm a big fan of the .270 Win., I would suggest a 7mm-08 or .308 Win. Either will do an excellent job on deer, elk, or any other large game short of a Brown or Grizzly Bear.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
I looked at the American, but I already have other rifles. I too, was a .270 for yearas. I have an old Ruger M77 that I had since 1976. Later gotr a Remy 700 in the dame cal. But I too found out that I really do not need all that power. I can get by with the .243 or 7-08. Have a Rem 700 and Winch. Mod 70 in those cals. They work well without all the recoil at the ranges I usually shoot at.

The .308 is good as is the .30-06. I like the .308 length cartridges like the .243 and 7-08 cause the rifles are a bit shorter too. The American looked good, just don't know if it is made in both long and short actions. Probably not, to cut costs. But, I really don't know. Almost bought one in .308 myself cause I don't have a gun in htat caliber. I do have a .30-06 right now in an old Remmy pump gun, Mod 760. Don't use it much cause it is much like the .270, a long action cartridge.

Performance with either is much the same. You just might get more recooil off the .30-06 in the heavier bullet weights. These days, you can get a wide range of bullet weights in factory loads. Couldn't do that in the "old days" so I reloaded the .270 and 06 down with lighter weight bullets. Really not much different than the .243 and 7-08 in recoil and performance. Now I have several of the guns in those cals. so I don't have to do that much. I just stick to the standard loads in each.

If yea get either caliber, it will work well. Just a a matter of preference. Ya also may consider ammo availability in your area. I know that the .308 is always scarce around here, but there is plenty of .30-06.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the American in 30-06. Bought it in the spring. I took it up to Phideaux's during the summer and zeroed it in. Since it has a floating barrel it does not kick like a older 30-06. We shot one of his Savage and compared it with the American and the difference is amazing. You can not go wrong in MHO with the American.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear great things about the 308. And then I hear people say the 30-06 is awesome but has one hell of a kick

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
I have a .308 and 30-06. I prefer the 30-06 mainly cause I can ammo anywhere in my neck of the woods.

Also rumor is Ruger may be making a American rifle in 357/38. Half the price of the 77/357.

G

·
I have a .308 and 30-06. I prefer the 30-06 mainly cause I can ammo anywhere in my neck of the woods.

Also rumor is Ruger may be making a American rifle in 357/38. Half the price of the 77/357.

Now that would be nice. I have a 77/357 but am not very happy with the accuracy. My American (.243 Win) shoot very well. I'd be a buyer for an American in .357 mag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the American in .308 and absolutely love it! I have the ability to shoot out to about 600 yards but have only pushed it out to 350 but it's a tack driver to that range!
-Jonathan
aka Shootermedic816

·
Super Moderator
1,378 Posts
I have the American in .308 and absolutely love it! I have the ability to shoot out to about 600 yards but have only pushed it out to 350 but it's a tack driver to that range!
-Jonathan
aka Shootermedic816

Great gun. Welcome to the forum.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Bolt falls out without using the release button. Work it right and out it comes. Almost took out my eye lol.

THATS Bad,
Hey Towboater, would you keep us posted on results and what Ruger says about it ?

Ive shot one, in 30-06 and was impressed.

But thats a bad defect.

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
THATS Bad,

Hey Towboater, would you keep us posted on results and what Ruger says about it ?

Ive shot one, in 30-06 and was impressed.

But thats a bad defect.

Jim

I will, I called yesterday. Will call and set up shipping when I'm home from work. Said the turn around time is pretty quick.

The rifle is .270, more accurate than I am for sure. I love the rifle, just not happy about that.

Took it back to the store I bought it from, told me to send it to ruger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't had time to get the rifle back to ruger. I will have to wait until my next trip home. I go back to work next week. Blech. Have to take the scope off too. Not happy about that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts