Ruger American rifle ammo

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by az_rifle_hunter, Dec 26, 2013.

1. az_rifle_hunter

az_rifle_hunter New Member

Going to buy some 270win Rounds for my Ruger American and would like to know what I should be looking at ? Also what gets the best groupings for you out of your Ruger American
    .any help will be greatly appreciated .

2. DDubya

DDubya Member

What are you using your .270 for? If it's for deer or antelope hunting, just about any name brand 130 grain load will work. Buy a box from a couple different makers and see which one works best in your gun. For moose or elk you'll want to go to a 140 or 150 grain load. I can't really give a better recommendation since I only shoot handloads but those are the bullets I use for those purposes.

I also have a small stash of Nosler 160 grain bullets that I'm saving for elk, moose or some other big game in the future.

3. az_rifle_hunter

Thankyou . I will be hunting everything for javelina to elk .

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I don't use a 270 but I hear the 150 gr. Nosler Partition works quite well. I think Federal has it in their premium ammo line but it's pricey.

5. dfarrer

dfarrer New Member

The 150 grain Nosler Partition is great

6. az_rifle_hunter

Thankyou .

7. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

I have the American in 308. And I love it! I mainly use Winchester Super-X and Remington Core-Lokt! I stick to 150 grain. But I may use 180 on rare occasion. But my hand loads I'll use Hornady 110 grain SP for coyote. I keep Hornadys A-Max rounds 168 grain for potential home defense if needed (knock on wood)!!! I use the Winchester and remington simply because they are cheaper. For deer I use Hornady American White Tail 150 grain.

8. az_rifle_hunter

Thankyou very much .

9. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

You're welcome! I try to stick to similar grain, simply to get similar accuracy!

10. thtguy1234

thtguy1234 Will

I have a ruger M77 in .270 I use federal 130 grain, you really lose accuracy with 150 grain from my experience, it all depends on what you want out of your bullet

11. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

Agreed. I early use 180 grain because of that. Almost him kinda surprised the it makes the big of a difference!