Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to buy some 270win Rounds for my Ruger American and would like to know what I should be looking at ? Also what gets the best groupings for you out of your Ruger American
.any help will be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
42 Posts
What are you using your .270 for? If it's for deer or antelope hunting, just about any name brand 130 grain load will work. Buy a box from a couple different makers and see which one works best in your gun. For moose or elk you'll want to go to a 140 or 150 grain load. I can't really give a better recommendation since I only shoot handloads but those are the bullets I use for those purposes.

I also have a small stash of Nosler 160 grain bullets that I'm saving for elk, moose or some other big game in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you using your .270 for? If it's for deer or antelope hunting, just about any name brand 130 grain load will work. Buy a box from a couple different makers and see which one works best in your gun. For moose or elk you'll want to go to a 140 or 150 grain load. I can't really give a better recommendation since I only shoot handloads but those are the bullets I use for those purposes.

I also have a small stash of Nosler 160 grain bullets that I'm saving for elk, moose or some other big game in the future.

Thankyou . I will be hunting everything for javelina to elk .

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't use a 270 but I hear the 150 gr. Nosler Partition works quite well. I think Federal has it in their premium ammo line but it's pricey.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the American in 308. And I love it! I mainly use Winchester Super-X and Remington Core-Lokt! I stick to 150 grain. But I may use 180 on rare occasion. But my hand loads I'll use Hornady 110 grain SP for coyote. I keep Hornadys A-Max rounds 168 grain for potential home defense if needed (knock on wood)!!! I use the Winchester and remington simply because they are cheaper. For deer I use Hornady American White Tail 150 grain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the American in 308. And I love it! I mainly use Winchester Super-X and Remington Core-Lokt! I stick to 150 grain. But I may use 180 on rare occasion. But my hand loads I'll use Hornady 110 grain SP for coyote. I keep Hornadys A-Max rounds 168 grain for potential home defense if needed (knock on wood)!!! I use the Winchester and remington simply because they are cheaper. For deer I use Hornady American White Tail 150 grain.

Thankyou very much .

·
Will
5 Posts
I have a ruger M77 in .270 I use federal 130 grain, you really lose accuracy with 150 grain from my experience, it all depends on what you want out of your bullet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts