Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle. Chicked out the website. Looks real handy and short. What is the actual lengt? Also, what is the caliber of your gun? Noticed there were some in 5.56, .223,450 Bushmaster, 300 B.O. & 7.62X39., so I assume it is a shorter action. Looks real easy to get into & outta vehicles.

I have the older style rifles in walnut & blue. They are nice, but hat to drag them around the old rancho. So I have a couple of poly stocked guns that are full size. Have been looking at a 700 Remmy youth model in .243 for some time. It is a good bit shorter on both ends than my other 700s. Just never got round to getting one.

Too bad they don't make it in .243, That would probably require a slightly longer action. then you could stuff .308, 6.5, 7-08 etc. in it.

Gonna do a range report on that one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? No one owns this gun here
Congrats on the new rifle. Chicked out the website. Looks real handy and short. What is the actual lengt? Also, what is the caliber of your gun? Noticed there were some in 5.56, .223,450 Bushmaster, 300 B.O. & 7.62X39., so I assume it is a shorter action. Looks real easy to get into & outta vehicles.

I have the older style rifles in walnut & blue. They are nice, but hat to drag them around the old rancho. So I have a couple of poly stocked guns that are full size. Have been looking at a 700 Remmy youth model in .243 for some time. It is a good bit shorter on both ends than my other 700s. Just never got round to getting one.

Too bad they don't make it in .243, That would probably require a slightly longer action. then you could stuff .308, 6.5, 7-08 etc. in it.

Gonna do a range report on that one?
Pancho, the overall length is 36 inches, nice and handy for a truck or in a blind. I do a lot of coyote hunting and it's very maneuverable in small spaces, where I don't want to show a lot of movement. It will do close to MOA at one hundred yards, and probably most effective out to 200 yards or so.. I don't see that well beyond that so it's perfect for me. Ballistically its about the same as the old 30-30 round, which has killed a lot of game. It weighs about 5.9 pounds without a scope. I really like the rifle and the round.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have started out to buy a Ruger American in all my AR calibers. I have the Predator in 223, and I just bought the Predator in 6.5 Grendel. I have the Ranch in 300 BLK and 450 Bushmaster, and I have the Predator in 308 Winchester. I do not own the 7.62x39 version.

Not a real fan of the rotary magazines. The 6.5 Grendel is the only one that takes the AR magazines. I have not shot that one yet. I like the 308 and the 450 Bushmaster quite a bit, although I use the 450 Bushmaster magazines in the 308. Like that single stack mag much better.

The American Rifle uses an action that is longer than needed for the 223, 300 BLK, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, and 450 Bushmaster. Nothing wrong with that, they work fine, They just look really wonky with the AR magazines sticking out the bottom about a half mile in front of the trigger guard. Kind of like putting a pair of Brogan's on a fashion model. The 7.62x39 Ranch dosen't look as bad having the mag release somewhat filling up that space, and the. Bushmaster dosen't look bad either the way the mag is designed.

I am trying with the idea of having the 450 Bushmaster rechambered to 45 Raptor, there is enough room. But then I would have to sell my 450 Bushmaster AR and build another AR-10 in the chambering. The 6.5 Grendel chambered American is going to get a chassis just because it will make it aesthetically appealing.

Howa makes a Mini Action that fits these cartridges perfectly. It is chambered in 223, 6.5 Grendel and 7.62x39. I gave it a lot of thought, but I promised myself a while back I would only buy domestic firearms and I am sticking to it. I do somewhat like the T/C Compass better than the American I think. The magazines are beefier, for one. But they are not chambered for the 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout or 450 Bushmaster. And even if they were they would still have the same action issue unless T/C came out with a shorter action.

All in all, I like my American Rifles. Apart from some magazine issues they have been pretty good rifles. Accurate to boot, just don't load the fore arm as it will put pressure on the barrel and effect POI. And single shot adapters are available that obviously eliminate the feeding issues, although it dosen't look like the AI/AR/Mini 14 magazie fed American Rifles suffer from the feeding issue. At least you don't read about it.

https://raggedhole.com/products/single-shot-loading-block-for-ruger-american-223-rifles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Guess they won't be making one that will take the AK mags. I got lots of those. Even got a 75 round drum. Yeah right!!!!

Well, I do have an AR in .300 Blackout. Just haven't shot it much cause of the cost of the ammo. Don't reload for that one.......yet. And I don't have a bolt gun in that cal.

I do have a bolt gun in 5.56 to go with my ARs. Works better than I thought it would. A Savage Axis I got off a buddy for 2 bills. He bought a Mossberg Predator IIRC. It took an AR mag.The Axis is cheap at Wally World for 269. I had not bought one cause I did not expect much. The guy had put a betterr scope on it than the one that came with the package. It was right at an inch MOA. However, it is a full size cal gun with a mag blocked for .223. It fed perfectly well, but is limited to 5 rounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guess they won't be making one that will take the AK mags. I got lots of those. Even got a 75 round drum. Yeah right!!!!

Well, I do have an AR in .300 Blackout. Just haven't shot it much cause of the cost of the ammo. Don't reload for that one.......yet. And I don't have a bolt gun in that cal.

I do have a bolt gun in 5.56 to go with my ARs. Works better than I thought it would. A Savage Axis I got off a buddy for 2 bills. He bought a Mossberg Predator IIRC. It took an AR mag.The Axis is cheap at Wally World for 269. I had not bought one cause I did not expect much. The guy had put a betterr scope on it than the one that came with the package. It was right at an inch MOA. However, it is a full size cal gun with a mag blocked for .223. It fed perfectly well, but is limited to 5 rounds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Savage is a good gun, I have a Stevens 200 in .223 and I really like that gun, except for not having a detachable box magazine, it turned out to be a good, inexpensive, and accurate gun.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Muy bueno compadre. Ain't no gunshows down hee till the second week of August. I will be there all weekend swapping a few. Maybe I can find a few of the RARRs to look at.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Muy bueno compadre. Ain't no gunshows down hee till the second week of August. I will be there all weekend swapping a few. Maybe I can find a few of the RARRs to look at.
Pancho, you will like the American rifles. Mine are either the Predator or the Ranch models. I like the flush fit of the rotary magazines but not the rotary mags themselves. The 450 Bushmaster mag is not rotary, but a single stack. It works better than the roatary ones. Works well with the 308, and I imagine it will work just as well with any of the 308 sized cartridges. Personally I would only be interested in the American rifles that take the AR/AI/Mini14 mags. Wish they were available when I bought mine.

Another rifle to consider if you like the 7.62x39 or the 6.5 Grendel is the Howa Mini Action. The action is sized for the 7.62x39 round and is some 1/2 inch shorter than the American Ranch Rifle in the same caliber. At about $100 more than the Ruger Rifle it's still afforable. That 1/2 ich does make a difference. I just about bought one instead of the Ruger, but the Ruger won out just because it's made just up the road from me. I keep second guessing myself that I should of bought the Howa.

Of course Interarms has the Mini Mauser in 7.62x39 with the appropriate sized action as well. I have no opinion on them as I have never handled one. Then there is the CZ 527 Micro Centerfire which is another fine 7.62x39 bolt, but the safety operates backwards from what we as Americans are used to.

BTW, the Howa, Interarms, and CZ are all chambered in 223 as well. I think the 527 is chambered in 6.5 Grendel as well, I know it's a popular action to convert to 6.5 Grendel.

Another irfle to consider is the T/C Compass. It's not available in a mini action, nor is it available in 7.62x39, so it's actually out of this discussion, but I think it's a slightly better built rifle than the Ruger American. I compare it with the American Predator. At least the flush fit magazines are better. All it takes is a side by side look at the magazines. I am not going to sell my Rugers and run out to buy one, but I just might have bought one in 223 and 308 if I had looked at them before I bought the Rugers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have one.

I just have a fixed 4x scope on it, and a number of Mini 30 magazines for it. Best 3 shot group I have been able to get out of it, at 100 yards and off a bench, is 1.25 MOA. That is plenty good for me to be able to knock a deer down, up to 150 yards, here in Indiana...that is primarily what I bought if for, and also to have something to shoot 7.62x39mm ammo that I have. I sold off my last AK a while ago, but still had sufficient ammo on hand...this rifle was just the ticket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts