Ruger American Pistol?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by spikedriver, Dec 30, 2015.

1. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I just looked at the Ruger American 9mm for the first time today. The pics on Ruger's website showed a godawful ugly gun, but apparently they are going for the law enforcement market. The price was $579, msrp. Anybody know much about this gun? I hadn't heard about it before today...

2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

I like it. It's a Ruger- built like a tank and backed by extraordinary customer service. I'm partial to the .45 variant, myself. Just might have to get one.

3. single5

single5 New Member

I think it's the best looking non 1911 on the market myself. Saving my money up as we speak! :D

4. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

I must admit I actually have an unauthorized over the 45 version. I think it is a very good looking pistol ... A bit VP9 ish

5. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Wow! I love it! I wish I knew this was coming out before I pulled the trigger on my SR9. Hmmm... I may have to trade my new, never-fired SR9 for the new Ruger American Pistol.

6. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

SR9 vs. Ruger American Pistol

OK, here's a simple comparo/overview of the new Ruger American Pistol. The notable differences are highlighted:

[​IMG]

New RAP features:

[​IMG]

Whaddayathink, guys?

7. hodge

hodge New Member

It looks interesting. But, I prefer mid size and compact pistols. The largest that is comfortable for me is a Sig 229, SR 1911 CMD, and I am really liking the Glock 23 the wife got me for Christmas.

8. Lshooter

Lshooter New Member

For me a G19 or a 4 to 4.25 barreled (commander) light frame 1911 is as big as we want. We love Sigs but the Carry sized 229, 228, 227 and M11A1's just miss for us. Beautiful guns with great triggers. In fact we have owned them but just didn't like carrying them. We only buy what we can carry. Yeah! I know some guys say that carry 39 to 42 oz steel framed 1911's but not me as an EDC.
    Hopefully Ruger will have a trimmed down version of the American Pistol in a carry sized
    Like an SR9C.

9. hodge

hodge New Member

I agree- it isn't for me if I'm not interested in carrying it. I have a P220 Stainless carry that I'm selling locally, for that reason- it is too heavy. Fantastic gun, but too heavy.

I do like the new Sig 225A1- it is about perfect for my hands and liking.

10. Lshooter

Lshooter New Member

The Sig 225 really looks nice but it's over 30 oz.

I have (4) beautiful lightweight 1911's, 3 with 4 inch barrels and 1 with a 3 inch barrel weighing between 25 and 29
    Ounces, all reliable and great shooters. We still carry the 25 oz 3 inch 1911 in our regular rotation but mostly carry a little
    Sig P938. We have put almost
    2000 rounds through it.

11. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Just announced the other day yet a bunch shipped previously so dealers would have them available. Nothing exciting to me. Just another M&P type pistol. *yawn* Just the current trend the manufacturers are in right now.

12. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Well I like it. I traded my M&P in on it today. I Love Ruger and trust them. Already have my Streamlight TLR-2 HL on it. Is it anything more than the SIG 320 or the S&W M&P. Not really. Is it in the same class as those Yes. But it is a Ruger so the M&P had to go and another Ruger happily in the Stable. I really like that it breaks down like the SIG P320, and offers the back straps like the M&P. So it is kinda the best of both worlds.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  13. hodge

hodge New Member

If you are happy, that's all that matters. Guns are very personal, and I for one do not look to others for approval of what I buy.
    Besides, I decided recently that the only fair way to judge a gun is to handle and/or own one. I've turned my nose up for years at Glocks, and I finally decided to experience them. The result? I was wrong.

14. Lshooter

Lshooter New Member

Well I got to hold a 9 and 45 American Pistol today. Not bad but bigger than we like hopefully a compact version is coming.....

15. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Went to the Gun Show today, in Fletcher, NC, at the WNC Ag Center.

Got the chance to hold both versions of the new Ruger American Pistol (9mm AND 45cal), which was available from three different dealers at the show. I was told that: 1) 10,000 Ruger American Pistols were made in the initial production run 2) dealers would be allotted up to 4 pistols from the initial run.

Ergonomically speaking, both models felt very comfortable in my hand, with a very natural point-of-aim. I really like the new grip.

I WILL say that, while sized very close to the SR9, the extra 3.5 ounces in weight was noticeable.

I have yet to fire a round out of my new SR9 Christmas gift, but I was ready to make a deal for the American Pistol if the price was right. I tried to haggle with all three dealers, but the best I could do was $480 CASH, out-the-door (slightly more with credit card). Not good enough for me to part with my tried-and-true SR9.

Anyway, my $.02.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  16. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

I did not get a price from my dealer I just traded even (I do a lot of business with him) but I believe he was $430. Whitakers in Kentucky had them for $420. I do not know if Buds has them or not.

17. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

$420 OTD is a great price!

I'm not sure that I want to go heavier than my SR9. Plus, I do like the manual safety on the SR9.

18. spikedriver

If Ruger makes a compact American I'll get real interested, real quick. But I'm having some trouble getting past the looks of this thing. To me it looks like a Glock got crossed with a stealth bomber. Maybe it will grow on me...

19. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

What's wrong with THAT? I think that's a great analogy.

The A.P. seems to have generated alot of interest, which is translating into sales. Let's see what happens after we start hearing some range reports. If those percolating sales become eruptive, then Glock may finally have a worthy adversary!

I'm pulling for Ruger on this one...

20. spikedriver

I agree teleguy, hope it turns out to be a home run for Ruger. I just don't dig the look of it. Just MHO, different strokes, etc.:)