Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cant stay out of the hospitals latley and recoil is a big factor in hunting this year ! Any members with feedback on this firearm ? Thinking of the 223 .Another factor is Cardiac Catheterization going thru left wrist artery ( 3 times past year ) also thinking along a S&W 380 EZ less recoil ,lighter to CCW Unless some input could steer me in another direction ? Thank you In advance .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Check this thread out RUGER LCP .380 MAX
No doubt the EZ will be less snap because of it's weight, but this new Ruger will be so nice to carry.
As far as the .223 cartridge, splendid round. Try to get it in 5.56 so you can shoot both in a pitch if you can't find one or the other ammo's.

I did some math and here is (approximately ) the recoil difference in ft. lbs. of energy.

EZ = 2.22 with a 90g bullet at 850 ft. per second
Ruger = 3.88 with a 90g bullet at 850 ft. per second

That can be significant, also the EZ is very easy to load the mags and field strip.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got my wife an M&P 380 EZ when they came out and it is an awesome gun and very easy to use. That being said, the M&P 9mm EZ is almost as easy (no pun intended) to use but with the benefit of having 9mm instead of 380. A buddy of mine got one for his girlfriend last year and my wife can use the 9mm version just as well as the 380. I'll be picking her up a 9mm EZ as soon as I find one for a good price. I would just go with the 9mm EZ. The slide is still easy to rack and the recoil is not a great deal more. It's much easier to rack than any of my other M&Ps.

When I was looking int a 556/223 bolt gun a few years ago I looked at the American ranch rifle, but I ended up going with a Mossberg MVP. They both take AR mags, so you don't have to buy proprietary mags, and both come with a threaded barrel. I don't have any experience with Ruger. The ultimate reason I went with the Mossberg was that at the time you could get it with a 20" barrel and I was looking for an 18"-22" barrel. The Ruger only had a 16".

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cant stay out of the hospitals latley and recoil is a big factor in hunting this year ! Any members with feedback on this firearm ? Thinking of the 223 .Another factor is Cardiac Catheterization going thru left wrist artery ( 3 times past year ) also thinking along a S&W 380 EZ less recoil ,lighter to CCW Unless some input could steer me in another direction ? Thank you In advance .
The .380 caliber is a good round for defensive purposes. The 9mm is better, but if recoil is your handicap. You may want to try the .32 caliber. It is a good round for up close in a defensive situation and very light in a carry position. There's just about no recoil at all, not much more than a .22 caliber. Many people carry a .22 caliber and with todays metallurgy in the manufacturing of projectiles & gun powders, it's not so bad. A .32 or .380 is good. The .380 round falls just under the .38 special and some manufactures will push it to equal or sometimes surpass the .38 special, but, then there's recoil.

If hunting? It all depends on the game. A .223 is okay for the small game such a coyotes and small piggys. The distance is also something to think about. For pigs, unless shot in the neck or head, you'll have quite a hike in searching for them and you may very well lose the trail. The every day .22 long rifle has more than proven it's self for hunting small game, even pigs. I once met the father of a friend that hunted elk with a .22 LR. and was successful by placing the sights to the ear.
There are better calibers for hunting larger game and don't come with much recoil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For self defense you could go with a .380, but many of the "pocket pistols can be snappy and not much fun to shoot. The Beretta Tomcat in .32 might be a good choice and you do not have to rack the slide at all. If you reload, you can always use a j frame with reduced loads that has worked for decades. I often carry one with 148 gr wadcutters loaded upside down. Used to call it the "flying ashcan" years ago because of the big gaping hole on the front! It is a proven defensive round too. I assume because of your 'conditions" you will not be making 50 yd shots on moving targets like some people, while reloading with the 4 extra mags you carry (LOL). and not jumping over barriers etc. Point is, sounds like close range 15 yds or less, to me. Depending what you hunt the 5.56/.223 isn't a good choice regardless of what many say. It is a "light" round and has no extra punch if the shot is off, the animal moves, sudden wind, branch in the way etc. It will kill, but there are many better choices. It is also not legal in many states for deer etc. The .243 has been around for decades and gives you a proven deer round with minimal recoil, and it is available just about anywhere and legal everywhere. Just MHO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
380 is now on the backburner as I have ccw and duty glocks since 1985. The Ruger American I found does not come in 223 ? So now opting for the rifle in 7mm-08 .

·
Registered
220 Posts
380 is now on the backburner as I have ccw and duty glocks since 1985. The Ruger American I found does not come in 223 ? So now opting for the rifle in 7mm-08 .
Expect heavy recoil with the 7mm. I think it's 20+ LBS in recoil. You'll also notice the rifle is heavy. Then again, you can reload to a lighter bullet and reduced powder and with a heavy rifle you won't feel the recoil.
Good choice for the .380.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Ruger American I found does not come in 223 ?
They make it, you have to search for it. It’s not a common cartridge to see in a bolt action rifle as traditionally bolt action rifles are hunting rifles. And the .223 is not a hunting cartridge but despite that it will kill anything out there, humanely is another issue unless you are a marksman which is why it’s outlawed in most States.

It’s primary role is to kill humans, with very low recoil and weighing less to carry then the equivalent of carrying 9mm. And it’s affordable to shoot (before the price gouge) and a fun round. A cartridge the whole family can enjoy from 12 year old Billy to grandma Moses.
And there are none with it’s capability more enjoyable. (note that word capability)

“A proud military tradition since 1963”

·
Registered
36 Posts
They make it, you have to search for it. It’s not a common cartridge to see in a bolt action rifle as traditionally bolt action rifles are hunting rifles. And the .223 is not a hunting cartridge but despite that it will kill anything out there, humanely is another issue unless you are a marksman which is why it’s outlawed in most States.

It’s primary role is to kill humans, with very low recoil and weighing less to carry then the equivalent of carrying 9mm. And it’s affordable to shoot (before the price gouge) and a fun round. A cartridge the whole family can enjoy from 12 year old Billy to grandma Moses.
And there are none with it’s capability more enjoyable. (note that word capability)

“A proud military tradition since 1963”
The .223 is primarily a varmit/small game round that became popular decades ago, supplanting the original .222. The military upped the pressure to gain some oommph, and changed the chamber dimensions slightly, with a longer leade that helps handle the increased pressure. The rounds will interchange, but the 5.56 is putting more wear and tear on your firearm and technically should not be used in .223 firearms, though many people do because military surplus was cheap!. The .223 is a more accurate round from a purely mechanical stand point. I have a Remington Police built by Badger in .223 very accurate, set up for LR with Leupold Mk4 equip. I also have (2) CZ 527's, one in .223 and one in 7.62x39. They are short, light, accurate and fun to shoot. The 7.62 is a 300 yd or less round, but I rarely have any shots over 100yds. The .223 will stretch out to 500yds or so, but who is really going to shoot at that range and get a good clean ethical shot with a .223? Not many IMHO. The 7.62 is very nice for the woods, brushy areas where quick shots are needed or a longer shot across a "right of way" or fire break etc. The .30 cal round works very well within its proper range. The 7.62x39 is often overlooked, but the Grendel, PPC and others were based on it, and it will do the job used properly. Both of these have minimal recoil, and with a decent LimbSaver pad, should be even softer. Just one mans opinion. Hope you find a solution you like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got the shorty 5.56 American. Was getting about 1.5 moa using cheap perfecta ball .223 ammo, an UNSTEADY rest, and a 3x Nikon P-223 scope. Nice little Rig that I really like!! Don't use plastic mags in it. The stanag aluminum mags slide in and I out perfectly with no fitment or function problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So now opting for the rifle in 7mm-08 .
I had a 7mm-08 for a few years and loved the round. Unfortunately for the 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor has taken most of the market space for short action sub .30 cal cartridges. I traded my 7mm for a 6.5 and I am not disappointed. You would also have a little less recoil with the 6.5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts