Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me a Ruger American Full sized 9mm pro model. The trigger seems like it makes me concentrate more to have my finger square with the trigger safety to get the trigger pull complete. I have other brands with the "Glock" style trigger safety and this never shows up with them.

Anyone else notice this on the American pistol full size pro model 9mm.

In other words is this normal should I contact Ruger for help.

Thanks for the comments

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I don't know the answer to question,can I see a picture of your pistol?:);):D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you saying the blade that sticks out in the middle of the trigger is an issue? Some have commented that where they don't like the Glock trigger because they can still feel the blade sticking out, they don't like the Ruger American blade as they say they can feel it go below the trigger.

For me at the Range, I do concentrate more on details until I go to a more rapid fire more that one would use in a home/self defense mode. At that point, I am depending upon muscle memory to kick in as I have not noticed the trigger at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
New to me a Ruger American Full sized 9mm pro model. The trigger seems like it makes me concentrate more to have my finger square with the trigger safety to get the trigger pull complete. I have other brands with the "Glock" style trigger safety and this never shows up with them.

Anyone else notice this on the American pistol full size pro model 9mm.

In other words is this normal should I contact Ruger for help.

Thanks for the comments
I have a RAP Compact, and I had the same problem. It felt like my sear was frozen to the blocker - after take up, it had no movement at all, and then all of a sudden it would break. It was the most unnatural trigger ever. One day I was looking at it with the slide off to see how the trigger worked, and found that a sear holds the blocker up. If you pull the trigger, you can see the sear under the blocker go forward, and that lets the blocker fall. I put a drop of oil on that sear face where it rubs under the blocker and it completely cured my trigger problem. I told Ruger, and they told me that the sear was Teflon coated and did not need oil. But it sure worked for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John Swenson Thanks as you are right on in describing my problem. I am looking at the pistol right now. Ill come back after I check it myself. Ben

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John Swenson Thanks as you are right on in describing my problem. I am looking at the pistol right now. Ill come back after I check it myself. Ben
Well I took the pistol down to field strip and then removed the entire chassis from the frame of the pistol. Then I could see what was causing the trigger safety to hang up . If the trigger is moved rearward just a smig without the trigger safety being depressed the trigger safety will hang up on the cassis frame. There is very little room for error as to which must move first the safety or the trigger itself. Looks like Ruger could have taken a little more off of the rear of the trigger safety where it contacts the chassis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took the pistol down to field strip and then removed the entire chassis from the frame of the pistol. Then I could see what was causing the trigger safety to hang up . If the trigger is moved rearward just a smig without the trigger safety being depressed the trigger safety will hang up on the cassis frame. There is very little room for error as to which must move first the safety or the trigger itself. Looks like Ruger could have taken a little more off of the rear of the trigger safety where it contacts the chassis.
Because the trigger safety moves rearward with the trigger and when too far to the rear then you cant depress the trigger safety.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took out my Glock G19 which also has a similar trigger safety . Well the sides of the Glock trigger are beveled and the trigger safety does to protrude out as far from the center of the trigger as does on the Ruger American full size or compact models. The Ruger trigger is more squared so your trigger finger has a tendency to pull it rearward before the safety is pulled back enough to clear the frame of the chassis. I don't know if I would call this a design problem with the Ruger American series but I do not like the way it operates. Will be calling Ruger for some help on this topic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
bcfryer, did you get any feedback from Ruger? I think I had the same problem; now I put my finger squarely on the trigger to be sure the safety blade is depressed fully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
. If the trigger is moved rearward just a smig without the trigger safety being depressed the trigger safety will hang up on the cassis frame. There is very little room for error as to which must move first the safety or the trigger itself. Looks like Ruger could have taken a little more off of the rear of the trigger safety where it contacts the chassis.
Wouldn’t call this a design flaw but rather the safety working as intended...

I have a Taurus PT111 G2 that requires a very straight-line pul. If the blade safety doesn’t disengage, it is typically indicative of a trigger pull that is not perpendicular to the trigger/blade plane of travel. Any sideways pull causes the blade safety to engage and it will not release until force is removed (as designed).

Where on your finger are you making contact with the blade when you pull the trigger? Does the blade rest in the crease of your first knuckle, or is it further down towards the pad of your fingertip or midsection? If it’s resting in the crease, this could be causing the pad or midsection of your index finger to be the first point of contact, thus putting the initial force on the trigger versus the blade and causing the safety to remain engaged.

You may try adjusting to a larger backstrap to see if you get a better length of pull and trigger alignment with your trigger finger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Evidently, when I first started shooting my RAPC, the crease of my finger was over the safety blade and not completely depressing it. I shoot a lot of double action with a GP100, and I guess I naturally used that finger placement on the RAP. No problem now, just wanted to mention that I believe that happened to me initially. About 1500 rounds now, and I am pretty darn good with the RAPC9. Anyone in north Texas want to challenge me?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. Ill have to try the different back straps. However these are the only brand of pistol that I have owned that has had this finger placement so critical. I practiced with the three different back straps that come with the Rugers. I found with the large I don't have enough finger reach and tend to put sideways pressure on the trigger so Ill run it with the medium for a while.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess I am lucky. The pad of my index finger must hit it just right as I have not had any issues yet. BTW I thought the pad of he finger should be on the trigger rather than the crease.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I definitely use the finger tip pad now, but I had been shooting a GP100 double action for years prior to getting the RAPC. On a double action revolver you wrap your finger over the trigger for more leverage; when you wrap it the crease rolls over to the center of the trigger. That's my story, and I am sticking to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I received a shipment of 115 gr. lead semi wad cutters today; so I loaded up a few with Bullseye and did a quick test in the RAPC9. No failures of any kind. They put a neat hole in paper targets. The RAP might be the best pistol in the history of the world. Maybe in galactic history.

·
SR40 / RAP9mm
166 Posts
I've never noticed the issue that this thread is about...I have both a FullSize and a Compact A9...I'll keep the info in the memory banks though should a problem occur it looks like I may have the answer already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same problem with the pad of my finger. Was going to send it to ruger. Then a drop of oil cured it. Didn't know what was going on till reading this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well this is the way I went. Having other brands striker fired pistols I made a concerted effort to determine which I was most accurate with and comfortable with for a carry weapon as well as at the range . I have sold both of my Ruger American pistols and put the money on a Ruger PC Carbine and some additional 9mm ammo. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts