Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Everyone!

I just took delivery of me new Ruger American in .22 LR.

First impressions - trigger is pretty gritty, this may smooth out with some use. Bolt is really tight, (after cleaning and lube) again, we'll see if this smooths out with use.

Rifle looks good, everything seems to fit well. I spent some time cleaning the barrel - I was amazed at how much "crud" was in the barrel, Brushing and cleaning with a very good cleaning solvent took over 30 patches to come out clean. This is the worst of any new rifle I've ever had. I was getting small pieces of metal (lead?) on the patches all the way up to patch 20 or so. A lot of black crud. Looks like this rifle was test fired with a full box of cheap ammo! (like to know where the cheap ammo is!)

Unfortunately, rain is preventing a range trip today, so that will have to wait until next weekend.

I have high hopes for this rifle, based on other reviews. I have a 10/22 that shoots pretty well at 100 yds, so I'll be interested in seeing what this one can do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the RAR in .22 WMR. My trigger is/was not at all gritty. Like you say, the bolt action was VERY tight. The bolt action smoothed out very nicely after some shooting.

Let us know how it goes after some shooting! I am quite pleased with the RAR .22WMR. I put a VX1 Rimfire Scope on it.

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Congrats on the Ruger American....I say the trigger will smooth out in time.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Well, I've put about 250 rounds through the Ruger. The trigger seems to be smoothing out but what is really exciting is that I fired 100 yd groups last Sunday. I shot 6 groups - the largest was 0.9 inches, the smallest was 0.65 inches!

This was from a rest, using my el cheapo Hawke scope at 10X. All told, I've got about $450 into the gun and scope so I'd have to say it was a bargain.

The most fun was shooting metal targets, pulling the trigger, then hearing the "ping" and seeing the swinging target move.:D

I'M REALLY REALLY HAPPY!

This was using old Remington ammo that I've had for about 20 years. I still have about 4000 rounds of it, so I'll be using it for a while.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congrats,

Yep, ringing the steel at 100 yards with .22 LR , thats fun.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
Congratulations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts