Ruger Alaskan

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by icallshotgun88, Jun 5, 2015.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I'm new to the forum and joined because I just picked up an Alaskan. I did some searching on here and there wasn't really a thread on people's review of their own Alaskan.
    I'll be taking this thing to the range for the first time his weekend and I'll post my thoughts and maybe a photo, too.
    Feel free to do the same.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I dont own an Alaskan, but may one day.

Waiting for a range report..:)

Jim

3. icallshotgun88

Okay, so I went to the range today and shot 75 rounds.
    Mostly Winchester white box 240gr semi jacketed soft point but also a box of Hornady XTP.
    It took me two or three shots to find where to hold but it was sighted in well and did not need to be adjusted, though that does not mean it was accurate.
    I found it difficult to be accurate with this firearm, even with the Hornadys, then again I'm a crap shot in the first place.

If any of you have done any research on this firearm, you may have heard that it was designed for guides, or anyone who may find themselves in grizzly territory, like in Alaska.
    This could include fishermen, hunters, hikers, etc.
    I want to say that if I were planning for grizzly territory I would not carry a .44. I'd go with at least a .454 Cassull.
    Although I'm not sensitive to recoil, the .454 hurts and it's hard to get fast, accurate follow up shots (for me at least).
    Since .44 magnum will get the job done on the black bears and mountain lions I worry about out here, it seemed like a no brainier to go with the .44
    Although the .454 also shoots .45 long colt, I'd rather stick with one cartridge.
    I can run standard fmj for 'plinking' and i can carry buffalo bore .44 +p+ when I'm actually in the woods.
    I have a box waiting for me to shoot =]

4. icallshotgun88

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1433660731.984422.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1433660764.390007.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1433660808.701359.jpg

If anyone has wood grips on their Alaskan please post a picture and lemme know where you got em :)

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I bet that is a hand cannon for sure. Rapid fire my hind end!

6. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Cool gun.....Fear no bruin:D

7. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

One nasty wheel gun.......

8. RA17

RA17 New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1466310822.245498.jpg

Not a Ruger, still a shorty-forty hand connon.

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Great for squirrels. Nothing to clean up, you just hose down a grease spot.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, good luck with it, icall. I am recoil sensitive, can't hit anything with my ordinary Redhawk .44 if the loads are very warm. Much better with the Virginian Dragoon. Hmm, typing that caused - get ready for it - a thought to enter my head. What is the requirement for a short barreled bear stopper about?

11. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I have shot the 454 version and it is a handful, Hot 45 Colt wasn't bad and easily controlled. S&W made a 3" 44 magnum that was mag-na-ported, it shot full power 44 magnum comfortably. May have been a better choice.:cool:

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I still do not have one.
    But I am still on the outlook for one...

Prefer 454.:cool:

Jim

13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yep, .454 is the way to go!

14. redalaskan

redalaskan New Member

Got a new Alaskan, looking to hear any & all suggestions on ammo/accessories!!