Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and joined because I just picked up an Alaskan. I did some searching on here and there wasn't really a thread on people's review of their own Alaskan.
I'll be taking this thing to the range for the first time his weekend and I'll post my thoughts and maybe a photo, too.
Feel free to do the same.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I dont own an Alaskan, but may one day.

Waiting for a range report..:)

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I went to the range today and shot 75 rounds.
Mostly Winchester white box 240gr semi jacketed soft point but also a box of Hornady XTP.
It took me two or three shots to find where to hold but it was sighted in well and did not need to be adjusted, though that does not mean it was accurate.
I found it difficult to be accurate with this firearm, even with the Hornadys, then again I'm a crap shot in the first place.

If any of you have done any research on this firearm, you may have heard that it was designed for guides, or anyone who may find themselves in grizzly territory, like in Alaska.
This could include fishermen, hunters, hikers, etc.
I want to say that if I were planning for grizzly territory I would not carry a .44. I'd go with at least a .454 Cassull.
Although I'm not sensitive to recoil, the .454 hurts and it's hard to get fast, accurate follow up shots (for me at least).
Since .44 magnum will get the job done on the black bears and mountain lions I worry about out here, it seemed like a no brainier to go with the .44
Although the .454 also shoots .45 long colt, I'd rather stick with one cartridge.
I can run standard fmj for 'plinking' and i can carry buffalo bore .44 +p+ when I'm actually in the woods.
I have a box waiting for me to shoot =]

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I bet that is a hand cannon for sure. Rapid fire my hind end!

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
One nasty wheel gun.......

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Well, good luck with it, icall. I am recoil sensitive, can't hit anything with my ordinary Redhawk .44 if the loads are very warm. Much better with the Virginian Dragoon. Hmm, typing that caused - get ready for it - a thought to enter my head. What is the requirement for a short barreled bear stopper about?

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I have shot the 454 version and it is a handful, Hot 45 Colt wasn't bad and easily controlled. S&W made a 3" 44 magnum that was mag-na-ported, it shot full power 44 magnum comfortably. May have been a better choice.:cool:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I still do not have one.
But I am still on the outlook for one...

Prefer 454.:cool:

Jim

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Yep, .454 is the way to go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts