Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks,
I've been contemplating getting a new Ruger Alaskan .454 for a concealed carry.

I was thinking of using an in the waist band leather holster for maximum concealment along with maybe one Bianchi speed strip in a leather pouch.

I haven't bought it yet but figured I would discuss it here before I do, if at all.
Any thoughts, suggestions or tips?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I just wonder why you want such a hand cannon for a ccw. A little extra weight makes for a big difference for CCW and 454 is not a good gun for range practice.
I suggest you go to a range and rent one to shoot or see if a friend might let you shoot his. That is a beast of a gun especially for ccw. I don't see anyone practicing a hundred at a time at the range to get proficient shooting it well enough for cc. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
At the end of the day, sometimes, I question why I carry a full sized 1911. I never question it in the morning when I put it on.

If you can clear it quickly and put them all in 4 inches at 15 meters in less than 7 seconds- go for it. To each his own.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^^^6 Then you would be best forgetting about buying anything in 454. Your cost of the gun would be nothing compared to $$$ you would spend on ammo shooting regularly.
Besides that your hand would not be in for regular range practice with it either. I guarantee if you shoot one then you will rule it out for a range gun or CC.
Watch first couple minutes of this video. When Hickok45 complains about a hand punishing gun you can bet it is just that.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll--DXOWPyA

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Its ridiculous but in today's Politically Correct day and age, I'm thinking about the repercussions in possible court afterwards with such a high caliber, if I did actually (God forbid), have to use it in self defense.
Well you could practice at least some of the time with .45 Long Colt ammo.
In court they couldn't call it a "Saturday Night Special", that's for sure.
But IMHO ridiculous political correctness could jam you up with a hand cannon like that.

On the positive side you get to economize with it, one hit should be all that's needed.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Well you could practice at least some of the time with .45 Long Colt ammo.
In court they couldn't call it a "Saturday Night Special", that's for sure.
But IMHO ridiculous political correctness could jam you up with a hand cannon like that.

On the positive side you get to economize with it, one hit should be all that's needed.
Hah. Had to respond to that. Historically, the "one hit anywhere" king must be the .220 Swift. When it came on the market, "Hydraulic Shock" was new magic, and 4000fps was going to deliver it.

·
Banned
475 Posts
I have shot one...............twice................in the same day...................it's really not fun after the first shot............................if your in bear country, I could understand, but otherwise, too much gun for my tastes.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
You can buy a good bat for much less. lol

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
That is a full sized man's gun. I stated how the time I fired one, I thought I broke my hand. To use one for CCW, now that is a lot of firepower! Only thing I can say is you are going to do is make 1 mortician mad if he has to put a BG back together for a showing. Unless you live in "griz" country I would really thing about downsizing a bit for CCW and keep the .454 for special trips up north or into bear country. I used to carry a .44 Magnum, Ruger Super Redhawk when I hunted bear and that was my back up to check and make sure the bear was dead. There is one helluva lot of difference between the .44 and .454 but a good chiropractor and hand surgeon can take care of that after you come back from the range especially if you shoot 100 rounds. WOW!!!!

Tommy

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Hah. Had to respond to that. Historically, the "one hit anywhere" king must be the .220 Swift. When it came on the market, "Hydraulic Shock" was new magic, and 4000fps was going to deliver it.
Yeah, hydra-static shock works with High Powered rifles. I've seen my 25-06 hydraulic the lights out on deer before they even had time to fall.

It's the massive damage with a .454....... But I still think one center of mass hit from the .454 would be all you need.
Heck, a miss might be all that's needed with a cannon like that! The roar alone could do it.
Course I've never seen anything shot with one so I'm just going off the numbers, and guess work.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can use 45LC in it and also remember it has a big hole in that barrel, a BG deterrent perhaps. I think the reality is that carry what you want, and the likelihood of ever having to use it is pretty slim, at least in my environment.
My only carry gun for 30 years was my SB 44 mag, then I got into the semi autos a few years ago. I can actually hit something at 50-100 yards with the SB, not so much with a 9 or a 40.
If you get it practice a lot and you'll get comfortable with it, when I got my SB I shot over 800 rounds the first year. Prior to that my experience was a single six. I had shot a derringer in 44M and that hurt, like catching a line drive without a glove, no thanks for that abuse.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Get it.

Take it to the range often, have fun with it, blowing up melons.:)

But, leave it in the safe, when not on the range, or in bear country.

Its not a CC gun.

Wear good shooting gloves, when shootin it, you will be amazed , what diff they make with those hand cannons.

Jim

·
Northern Arizona
157 Posts
Recessed Cylinder for .45 acp

I had the cylinder recessed so my Alaskan can fire .454, .45 colt, or .45 acp (with moon clips). The .45 acp rounds feel like .22's when fired from the Alaskan... ;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
As a CC weapon, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Heavy? Yes
PITA to Carry? Yes
Easy to Conceal? No
Overkill? Yes
Decent Capacity? No
Fast Follow-up Shots? No

There are a TON of better CC options out there. The Ruger Alaskan .454 is a hunting gun, not a CC gun.

But, it's a free country (for now), so feel free to CC whatever your heart desires and the law allows.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are in sunny, steamy Florida? This is going to be a big iron on your hip, but, as you say, you have contemplated this. The Alaskan is a gloriously extreme creation, massive and brutal. But you knew this. Go for it.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Dispatch,
I think you made a wise decision by not using a .454 for conceal/carry. Like Easy CZ said, there is no follow up shot should you ever need one. The recoil is horrendous. You can carry a 9mm, 40 or .45 and that will give you more than you need for personal protection. My CC pistol is a .45 and believe me with the correct bullets you can do a lot of damage and still have follow up shots should you need them. Like Jim said: take it to the range and blow up melons, only buy plenty of melons.

Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Wise decision on the Alaskan not being your choice for CC.

but, BUY IT, and use it at the range for fun, or take it bear huntin.

Many mfgrs make many handguns, SPECIFICALLY, for CC.

You do know that searching , testing, deciding , and shopping .....is a big part of the excitement and fun of owning guns...right? ;):D

Oh, I forgot to add....conning your significant other.:eek::D

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
.357 just happens to be my,(and a lot of other folks too), favorite all around caliber.

I did CC a .357 for lots of years.

Ruger SP101 comes to mind...:cool::)

Jim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts