Ruger 9e

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Oldhand, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Haven't seen anything on here about the 9e, doesn't anyone have one? Reason I am asking is I just picked one up new for $370 seems like a great gun for the money.:)

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

There have been some threads on the 9e and the price is typical Ruger best bang for the buck. $370 imo is unreal for a quality fire arm.
    Let us know your range report/review of it.

3. Oldhand

Will do, plan on getting out this weekend.;)

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I've been glancing at the 9e now and then. Yeah, a range report would be good. I have a good supply of components, and only one gun to shoot them in. Traded the Tanfoglio.

5. Oldhand

I was on the horn with Ruger, my 9e was made in Feb of this year. They also said when testing they shoot at 15 yards using 115 grn bullets. I have found that most 9mm pistols have shot best with 124 grn bullets
    I'll let you guys & gals know more after a range visit.;)

6. bob9E

bob9E New Member

Hello Oldhand

Bought my Ruger 9E last month (3-16) from Academy ($379.99 + tax ) Loved it @ first touch. Just feels good in my hands Shoots like a dream! I turned 70 in October of last year and my eyes are not as good as they used to be. So I can't do a good range report as far as accuracy. But as far as firing and coming back on target quickly that is what it does. My son says it is because it is a large frame pistol. I have an old ROHM 38 spec that I have had for home protection since 1971 but everyone says it is a cheap handgun. Got my CHL for Texas and the family bought me a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 for carrying. It is ok but the Ruger 9E runs circles around it. The only thing I noticed with the 17 round double stack mag. is that I had 3 failures to feed(round was crooked coming from mag to receiver). But I had already read the Ruger forum on 9E and someone had commented to be sure and tap the magazine to align the rounds. So I tapped the mag on the floor to align the rounds to the rear of the magazine but still had 2 more FTF's. I then tapped the mag to align the rounds to the exit ramp of the magazine and no more FTF's. The white dots on the sights are super. I just don't get to the range as much as I would like to. Ammo is the Remington 115 grain 9mm luger.

Served in Vietnam with USMC from Dec.1966 thru Jun. 1969. Worked on A4's as jet mech., pulled 45 days of perimeter guard duty when they pulled the 03's from Chu Lai to go to Khe Sanh. Had my M14 then but later had to turn it in and get the M16.

Any way hope you enjoy your Ruger 9E as much as I enjoy mine.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  7. Oldhand

Thanks for your service, the closest I got to Vietnam was Korea. Was there 70-71, served in the Air force 69-89. If I run into that FTF, I will try tapping them to the front. With luck will get to the range tomorrow.:)

8. bob9E

bob9E New Member

Thank you for your service also. Hope you have a great day at the range!

9. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

Love my 9E. I had a P95 prior.

10. bob9E

bob9E New Member

Love mine also but the new gun in my possession is a Ruger SR 40 C is running neck and neck. Both are fine shooting pistols. Guess I am hooked on Ruger for life!

11. txshooter39

txshooter39 New Member

The sights for the sr9 and the 9e do not interchange. The sight dovetails are cut different.

12. Oldhand

Seams I never got back about the range. The 9e, at least mine, is not happy unless shooting full power loads. The recoil isn't bad and accuracy is good. Lower power loads that work fine in my LC9 wont cycle the 9e.:eek: