Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time at the range with the 9e was a disaster. I like to use VV320 powder because it gives high velocity with low pressure, but it seams pressure is what works the slide. This is why my 124 grn FMJ at 1050FPS would not eject.:confused: The good news is the 125 grain lead fed and fired and ejected fine at 950FPS using 700X. Because the factory sets it up with 115 grn bullets the 124 shot 1/2 inch high and 1/2 inch right at 10 yards. The rear sight has a Allen screw to lock the rear sight, this clearly is not needed as I removed the screw and with a hammer and brass punch could not move the sight.:mad: Will try this weekend with factory 115 grn Perfecta ammo and some 124 Fmj with 7.8 grn of Blue Dot.
The Blue Dot is a compressed charge rated at 1250 FPS and should work the slide quite well.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Vihtavuori N320 should work fine; you didn't mention the charge. Where are you getting those velocities from? Do you have V-V 3N37 on hand?

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The charge was 3.7 grns the max is 4 grns, these are from the VV loading data website. VV claims 1070 fps for 4 grns, I would not think .3 grins would loose more than 70 fps, or make the difference in fail to eject. ;)

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I experienced this same problem with a new Taurus Millennium, The same rounds that worked fine in a Springfield XD would not eject under the new recoil spring of the Taurus. Now with the new 9e, even though the 124 grain lead at 940 fps with 700X did eject from the 9e they didn't fly more than a foot to my right. We're talking a heavy recoil spring here.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went to the range today and the 115 grain Perfecta ammo shot 1/2 inch low and 1/2 inch right of point of aim. Shot one ragged hole and the empty cases fell a foot behind my right shoulder. Tried the 124 grain over 7.8 grains of Blue Dot,(this is a compressed load but not a max load), accurate but 1" high and 1" right of point of aim. Empty cases flew four feet to my right, think 7.1 grains may be better. Went home and found an old square horse shoe nail and after removing the Allen screw from the rear sight nocked it left about 1/16 of an inch will see if that centers the groups. Can't do anything about the elevation, just have to know where to hold for the weight bullet you are shooting. Think I like this gun.:D

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
You may want to go to the Alliant site. I think they have issued some sort of alert about Blue Dot. Unanticipated high pressures in some loads. I read it -elsewhere - but don't understand where the safe|unsafe line comes.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the Alliant site, they said not to load 357 mag 125 grain with Blue Dot. They also said do not use Blue Dot in 41 mag. They go on to say follow Alliant loading instruction and then do not give any for Blue Dot. They added a new powder BE-86 witch is supposed to be good in all pistol calibers. They say it has flash suppressors in it and it feeds better so I may get some and try it.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Handy,

I would steer you away from Power Pistol. I have 2 1/2lbs. of it left from loading my .45 and am not partial to using it. It basically is the same as the BE86 and I don't like the way it shoots. Alliant is very vague on their loading specs for .45 and I assume that will be the same with 9mm. The specs for .45 was 8.1grns. max and go 10% less, which I did and 7.3 grns. is a little much. I dropped it down to 6.7-6.9 max. When I was loading my 9mm I used Titegroup and Bullseye with 115grn Berry plated and it worked fine. It will work good with a 125 grn bullet. You and I both load the same way so our techniques are very similar. I know you like Viht however for me it is cost prohibitive. My best loads were with W231, Titegroup and Bullseye. I wish you lived closer cuz I would make you a heck of a deal on Power Pistol, but I truly believe you won't like it. It seems dirtier, tends to be smokey and a flame comes out of my SR1911. I used my Lyman's book when I loaded the 9mm and I stayed in the middle of the loading chart. Sorry, I didn't write down the COAL which was stupid but I believe I had how much W231 I used. PM me if you wish and I will try to figure out how my 9's were loaded and help you out. I really don't think you would like Power Pistol. Alliant doens't have their "crap" together on loading specs and even if you call them (which I did) they are very vague.

Tommy

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There may actually be some difference between Power Pistol and the BE-86. They claim to have put flash suppressant into it so it should not flame, also made it easier to meter. It is true they never give a min and max, just one load. Only way to know is to try some if it is available in my area. I will let you know.:)

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well remember I said if available here? No such luck, ended up buying another bottle of 700X. $19.99 half what the VV cost. Picked up a bag of 115 grn fmjs and I am back in the game.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This may be hard to see, The ragged hole on the upper left is 124 grain, ragged hole on upper right is 147 grn, and low center is 115 grain all at 10 yards off hand.

Attachments

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This gun appears to like 147 over 5.5 grains of Blue Dot.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks spikedriver:DI am not sure why the 124 went left and the 147 went right. All were shot at same point of aim, center white bull.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
You are a way better shot than I am.

Hah. "That ain't saying much" is practically made to order here. What I mean to say is that you are a good offhand shot. :D

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Yep looks pretty good. Amazing how the mind can play on us also.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I had a hard time believing that .3 grains could make that much difference in a load. So I dropped a working load (4.5 grns of 700X under a 124 fmj), to 4 grns. The lower load will not eject, even though this load is a full grain above min and only .4 below max.:rolleyes: I don't know why Ruger used such a heavy recoil spring.

·
Registered
992 Posts
^^^ It could loosen up after a few hundred rounds. I had an early, hammer fired LC9. It was pretty stiff out of the box but after 400 rounds it got pretty slick.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I won't be giving up, put another 150 rounds through her today. Couldn't find any more Blue Dot so bought AA#7, will try that tomorrow. Want to find something I don't require max loads.;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts