Ruger 556E

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by BigCountry85, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BigCountry85

BigCountry85 New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1386277277.601827.jpg
    Just got a new Ruger 556E and looking for suggestions on accessories to add to it.

2. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

First replace the stock. Magpul has tons of different offerings, all better then the one that comes on it. It's a mil-spec buffer tube. Next I would look at swapping out the A2 grip and putting an ERGO grip on it. Then an optic of some sort. After that you should be set with the essentials.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

A cute redhead in a bikini would make a great accessory for it...

On a serious note, a Burris 1-4x red dot scope would look great on it, I got to try one out last week and it was awesome.

4. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Wow...awesome looking SR556E......welcome to RT....

5. BigCountry85

BigCountry85 New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

6. BigCountry85

BigCountry85 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I will look into it.

7. BigCountry85

BigCountry85 New Member

I was wanting a red dot scope thanks for the heads up on this one.

8. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Burris makes very good red dots, the nikon 223 series are very nice as well. Both are reasonably priced. I have heard mixed reviews on the Vortex brand of optics when it comes to durability, but have heard they are really good when it comes to replacing and repairing any issues. They are a higher end budget line.

Aimpoint is the premiere brand for a red dot but also at a premium price. EO tech is technically a holographic sight but essentially the same concept, again at a premium price. The premium price in those get you extreme durability and super long battery life.

9. Chieftain

Chieftain USMC

Before you buy anything sit down and write yourself a mission statement for your rifle. What is the primary purpose/mission for your rifle? If like many of us, you plan for multi uses, then one must prioritize.

Many of us dedicate a carbine or two for serious social intercourse, and the others for play, hunting, competition etc.....

For my fighting weapons I use AimPoint mini T1's and Larue Tactical mounts. Light weight and leave the sight turned on 24/7 and replace the battery once a year. Rugged as hell. I also have an older M3, with the AimPoint 3x multiplier lens too. The 3x is on a Larue swing mount too.

On my 22lr's and such I have the eotecs and vortex dots. If I was still shooting 3gun matches I would be looking at the new Vortex 1x6.

Take your time and set your weapon up right, the way you really want it for your reasons.

Good luck and have fun.

Fred

10. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I have my Ruger SR556E set up with the EOTech XPS3-0 and the G33 EOTech 3X magnifier:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Added an INFORCE momentary light to my Colt AR and a Blue Force Gear VCAS sling that are items I really like and work well. Get a good red-dot and possibly a 3x magnifier for close to medium distances and ya have a good defense setup. I bought lesser expensive version of these two items.....don't do that....the lens covers on the red-dot didn't survive too long and the dot isn't as crisp and clear as the good stuff.

12. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Yes, with Red Dot Sights you really do get what you pay for. EOTech and Aimpoint are my favs. Many have reported good luck with Ultradot products, which are a notch down in price.

13. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Yeah, been eyeing both those brands for a future purchase, the elcheapo 50.00 dollar one will have to suffice a bit longer...for what I need right now it works.
    Do you have any preference to the AimPoint PRO style and the EoTech style?
    After using an AimPoint style I'd have to think the EOTech version would be easier to pickup vision-wise in a home defense situation whereas the Aimpoint is more "scope" type and one has to get up on it closer to utilize....Thoughts?

14. Redleg

Redleg New Member

There is definitely something to what you say. The "Circle-Dot" EOTech reticle lends itself to quick target acquisition. Get the 65MOA circle on the target and shoot. For precision shooting the small 1MOA dot is there. It is a good system.

The Aimpoint dot is simply a very high quality optical dot in a superb sight.

For combat or HD I probably think that the EOTech is better, but you are not going to go wrong with either. I have the EOTech XPS3-0 on my Ruger SR556E and an Aimpoint CompC3 on one of my Mini 14s. Either setup is great, IMO.

15. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Thanks for the info...looks like I'm going to need to do some hands-on comparisons. Choices, choices :D